Spell Totem

"
Samwell wrote:

I noticed this as well on my curse-casting totems. It keeps recasting the curse on the same monster until that monster dies, even when there are other monsters in range which or not cursed yet. I'm wondering if this is the intended behaviour, or could the totem-AI receive a small upgrade in the future?

This is my only complaint about totems with curse!!!

It gets really annoying sometimes.

But other times it seems to work just fine.
S L O W E R
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
I just want to have my totem summon other totems, I want to summon one totem to rule them all...

or can this work if you have a passive that lets you have 2 or more totems at once? Maybe a totem that re-spawns a regen totem for me every time a mob decides to kill it?
No, but the mental image alone is hilarious enough that I'm considering trying to convince the others.

I've often wondered why you don't allow totem support on totem skills. The player is capped at 1 or 2 totems so if you allowed us to make totem totems the original totem should despawn itself upon summoning the next totem after the cap.

By allowing us to do this you would really only be allowing us to do something slightly goofy and fun but in no way overpowered. The only way it might be advantageous is as a way of quickly deploying 2 totems of the same type, but since they would be weaker than manually casting twice would this really be a problem?

Please if you could at least let us try it out, you may find all it does is highlight how cool the skill and support mechanics in this game really are.
That's the thing about totems, they're technically not the player casting the spell so they don't count toward the player's limits. They do benefit from the passives of the player, though.

If one had a totem that summoned a totem, it'd keep resummoning the totem, but since it has its own limit, the oldest one it summoned would be despawned.

Essentially, if it somehow worked, it'd work similar to the summon skeleton totem.
In that case, perhaps if totems had a special rule where they'd deal X damage to themselves upon casting Y times. Then Y could be set to a value dependent on the skill being used with totem at the time the totem is summoned. This could achieve the following:

- Ability to enable totem totems that destroy themselves upon casting more than the player's totem cap.

- Ability to enable molten shell totems that explode after a countdown that starts when an enemy enters their range. You'd see it ticking as it recasts the buff and cast speed would reduce the time to detonation.

- Ability to balance skill totem combinations independently of each other. Skelly totems for example could have their total summoning output capped per totem the player summons while projectile totems could be allowed to shoot many more times (too many to run out before expiring).
Last edited by BlastMonkey on Aug 30, 2012, 8:44:52 AM
I know that Totems have their own defensive stats and cast your spells.

Does the type of the skill linked to totem affect its defensive stats? (I remember this being true, such that red skills make higher hp/armor totems, and green skills make more evasive totems.)

If so, what does a blue skill totem have for defenses (since it's definitely not eshield)?
"
pneuma wrote:
Does the type of the skill linked to totem affect its defensive stats? (I remember this being true, such that red skills make higher hp/armor totems, and green skills make more evasive totems.)
No, this is not the case, nor has it ever been, to my knowledge.

The only things that affect a totem's stats are: which gem the totem came from, and what level that gem is.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
The only things that affect a totem's stats are: which gem the totem came from, and what level that gem is.

I was wondering if there was a pattern in the totem stats (hp/armor/evasion/resists) based on the color of the linked skill.

From my testing it looks like only the level of the Totem support controls the life of the totem for a given skill (or if the linked skill's level matters at all, there's a very small difference between level 1 and level 17). Is this intended? It seems different than what you described.
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

I was wondering if there was a pattern in the totem stats (hp/armor/evasion/resists) based on the color of the linked skill.

From my testing it looks like only the level of the Totem support controls the life of the totem for a given skill (or if the linked skill's level matters at all, there's a very small difference between level 1 and level 17). Is this intended? It seems different than what you described.
That's exactly what I described. The totem gem used and it's level determine the stats, not any other gems.
the totem attack range is super low now.

I read nothing about it in the patchnotes, but i can only say that my Fireball Totem build is complelty useless now.

Sometimes the totems even don´t attack back when they get attacked...

Maybe the Totem Range is based on the Zombi Aggro Range. Before the patch the aggro range for zombis was super high, now the aggro range is smaller and it looks like the totem is affected the same way.
IGN: kReiZy
Last edited by sYkoDe4d on Sep 10, 2012, 1:27:35 AM
"
sYkoDe4d wrote:
the totem attack range is super low now.

I read nothing about it in the patchnotes, but i can only say that my Fireball Totem build is complelty useless now.

Sometimes the totems even don´t attack back when they get attacked...

Maybe the Totem Range is based on the Zombi Aggro Range. Before the patch the aggro range for zombis was super high, now the aggro range is smaller and it looks like the totem is affected the same way.

Totem's are completely useless now and not a single mention of it in the patch notes. I wasted all my points speccing toward my old totem build albeit compensating for passive tree changes. Ultimately a complete waste of time and points.

List of totem defects
1. Very small attack range and aggro range
2. Aggro mechanics on totem is broken
3. Mobs attacking the totem receive no retaliation half the time
Last edited by Ezciel on Sep 10, 2012, 2:40:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info