[3.20] Ice Dancing Queen - Icestorm/Cyclone/CI - Viable For Everything

"
Breken wrote:
Watcher's Eye: Can now grant 10 to 15% increased Energy Shield Recovery Rate while affected by Discipline (from 20 to 30%). Can now grant 6 to 10% of Maximum Mana as Extra Maximum Energy Shield while affected by Clarity (from 12 to 18%). Can now grant 10 to 15% increased Mana Recovery Rate while affected by Clarity (from 20 to 30%).

The Whispering Ice: The Ice Storm skill has undergone a significant rebalance, with larger impacts falling in a smaller area meaning you are significantly more likely to hit targets within the area multiple times over the storm's duration than before:
Now has 2 to 4 base Cold Damage per 10 Intelligence (from 1 to 3).
Now has a base Duration of 1 second (from 1.5 seconds).
Now gains 0.1 seconds of additional base duration per 100 intelligence (from 0.15 seconds).
There is now 1 impact every 0.2 seconds (from every 0.1 seconds)
Now has an Added Damage effectiveness of 60% (from 45%).
Now has a maximum of 5 storms at a time (any more than that replace the oldest).
Impacts now have a base radius of 16 units (from 10).
Impacts can now land in an area with a base radius of 22 (from 25).

(Ouch)

Looks like a strait nerf to me. From average 2 to 3 base damage per 10 int, but much lower duration, and half as many impacts. Not to mention that you can only stack 5 storms, that's like 1.5 seconds of channeling. More impacts per shard, but I don't think that's nearly enough to counter the other issues. I'll have to test it, since Ice Storm is mechanically so hard to predict DPS, but the lack of stacking has me seriously worried.

Quick use of the DPS calculator with 100k average damage per hit, you top out at 4.1 million dps.

The limit of 5 storms is also a possible problem for clear, when zooming along the trailing storms did a good job of cleaning up after you. You probably won't have that luxury. You also won't be able to cover the entire screen with ice, meaning that blights could get harder, and a bit more scary, etc.

I still think it's a buff. I would prefer everything to die quicker as I spin through maps. If 5 storms doesn't kill it you're doing something wrong.

Guess we will see though.
F
Frost shield sounds good.

Added a new Intelligence/Dexterity Skill Gem - Frost Shield: Creates a Frost Shield in an area which can consume Energy Shield over a short period, gaining stages which make it more powerful. This Shield absorbs a portion of incoming damage and increases your chance to deal critical strikes while you are within it.
5 storm-limit effectively disables the build. Previously it was normal to have a 6-second storm duration with each storm being added every 1/3 of a second. I mean with 2k int you get base duration of 3 seconds.
"
sickpython wrote:
5 storm-limit effectively disables the build. Previously it was normal to have a 6-second storm duration with each storm being added every 1/3 of a second. I mean with 2k int you get base duration of 3 seconds.

Please tell me how 5 storms disable this build?

In a juiced t16 map everything dies as you roll through it so I guaranteed you don't have more than 5 storms up in the path you're killing.

With everything dieing quicker it will be the same as having 7-8 storms up last league.
Crunched some numbers, (although quickly) The chance to hit an normal sized enemy with any one shard went from 25% to 67%

The base damage increase is about a 20% buff to damage, with my harvest gear.

Duration at 3400 int went from 6.6 to 4.4 seconds

Single storm DPS (again single target) went up by around 38%

Now for the bad news. Sustained DPS. With my harvest build sustained DPS was capped at around 5.2 million after around 7 seconds of casting. Now max icestorms will happen after 1.5 seconds of casting, cutting your max stacked DPS to around 1.8 million. So that's a serious nerf for anything that stood still or allowed you to stack Icestorms on it.

That being said, most of the current bosses were/are mobile and don't really support a full 8 seconds of stacked Icestorms, so it's not exactly the 65% damage nerf that it first appears.

The GOOD news, is that it will be much easier to bring that full 1.8 million DPS to bear now, and fewer things will be able to slip through an Icestorm. Icestorm will certainly play a lot differently now.

My gut tells me that mapping will be smoother, but bossing will be harder.
Last edited by Breken on Sep 15, 2020, 11:12:10 PM
Really glad I played this at its peak. RIP it was a good run fellas.
Thanks for the calcs mate.

I think we need to use ice armor and that will increase survivability while giving us more crit.

Also are you taking into account the buff from 45% to 60% added damage effectiveness??

Mapping will be excellent now and I already though it was great!

Curious to see how bossing goes but if it's slower boss kills I don't mind. Just means we need to stack more offensive gear options while using offensive flasks.

What levelling route will you all take to get to WI?
Last edited by Hemzokuken on Sep 15, 2020, 11:25:02 PM
"
Hemzokuken wrote:

Also are you taking into account the buff from 45% to 60% added damage effectiveness??

Nope, those numbers were just a strait change from my Harvest build to a heist build. We didn't really use any flat damage gear previously, as the damage effectiveness was so low, that boost does open up some other gem options to be looked at. Awakened added cold may be valid damage gem now. Worth playing with in PoB once it gets updated.
Last edited by Breken on Sep 15, 2020, 11:33:47 PM
*Damn double post*
Last edited by Breken on Sep 15, 2020, 11:33:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info