[0.10.0] A Song of Ice and Fire - Coldfire Immolation Templar [The Original RF/PA]

I have been testing a similar character since OB launch. First iteration died around 47 in hardcore.

RF without Increased AoE is very small range. If you plan on doing damage with it, I really think AoE radius nodes should be a bit higher priority.

You will also have to counter chaos damage with flask regen only with your setup.

I would look at something like this: RF Build

Taking this over the one Venator linked gives:
-30 STR
+10 INT

+16% AoE Radius
-5% Max Life
-8% Max Mana
+24% Chaos Resist
+45% Shock Duration
+20% Shock Chance on Lightning Damage
+60% Global Critical Chance
+60% Spell Critical Change

For a cost of 102 vs 94. I am not sure if you like the idea of the Shock or if it is worth the use of added lightning damage gems.

If you take it to the extreme, you can pickup both Power Charge nodes as well if you run in a group with shared charges.
Last edited by Nodrak on Jan 31, 2013, 11:42:37 PM
Bumping thread.

the build looks very appealing, if anyone is running it currently please give some feedback.

also what kind of weapons and armor would you go for?
Funny, I actually thought up a build like this myself and then stumbled across this thread which is somewhat what I am doing right now (lvl 42 right now). Was going to make a thread myself but I may as well share my ideas here as a lot of things are done the same (i.e. the Endurance Charges for extra life sustain, the character of choice, Ice Nova + Righteous Fire and so forth).

Basically I will be using the Righteous Fire skill together with Ice Nova and Elemental Equilibrium (as someone a few posts earlier mentioned). Because RF ticks so often, I will always have the -50% on IN as long as mobs are close enough to me to take damage from RF. I take all the AoE radius spells to increase RF radius. Something I added myself is the use of Pain Attunement and using auras with Blood Magic to get my health permanently low.

I have a different approach on RF and health, however. I try to keep my health as low as possible and my energy shield as high as possible, basically a CI build but without the CI. This is to keep the self-damage from RF as low as possible. There is a unique armor that has Blood Magic and -20% to your maximum life, I think it's called The Covenant? From my understanding it doesn't multiply the mana cost unlike the BM support gem, so I will be able to run 3 40% auras off my health with the Reduced Mana support gem, as (40+40+40)*0.71 = 85.2% of my health. This means that I will be able to run Purity, Vitality and Determination for 'free' off my health. In fact, I'll even have a bit of health remaining depending on how much health I'll have then (not much) and can probably get another flat mana reserving aura in. I can run additional auras off my mana pool (discipline, clarity and grace are attractive options, one I could probably run off health).

Now I know what you're going to say: chaos damage is going to destroy you. Yes, this is quite true. For this reason, I leave one point free for CI which I can refund/regret out of, although my damage will be extremely poor in comparison and I'll lose out on auras + will need a different armor so I will probably just have to accept that I can't run chaos maps with this character. From my understanding the place to farm at super high level is the Lunaris temple, which IIRC has zero chaos damage and no mods that can add chaos damage (such as poison arrow).

This is what I currently have for skill tree at level 42:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEswVbEGkRLRRNFVAXVCKBLJwtHzCXMtE5ijwFPV9Eq0VHRtdN2FJTVa5WSl3GYG1tGXyDfVOBb4KbgziLjIx2jjyOvo9Gj6aVBJ48nqGf36IApwivm7UEtoa4k8362t3d8-Fz7SDvfA==

And this is what my endgame build would look like:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuLjOFz7SBG15_fPAXvfF3G3fNgbYM4FE0EswJxgW-ePE3YjHY62C3SfLskiz0PxPYn7fPdGS7ZYVcNkc677bUERUcy0biTDH0Qf8aepwjYJDbFHwKeoa-blQRWSiycVa5Eq4-mUlOXlZf0PV8tH20ZjjwXVCKBO-Hi96cri3rB84IeiELyHcHF7BjDbY_6e9de-vyrj0YdFJit-tL3wWaecU2az0NjtzFY9Z3E6-6ESDyOAW9XyTQK

From here your character is mid 70s, so you still have quite a few skill points left to spend if you want to level up further, so you're left with some decisions. One of them (and perhaps the most attractive one) is to get Troll's Blood. You can do this via the strength nodes, or via the double +15%fire rest into +15% all res. We will be needing much fire resistance, so taking this path (although more expensive skill-point wise) may be most attractive.

Next there are some +6% all res nodes that you can pick up, but most importantly there are a few nice and easily available shield nodes right under the +% armor/energy shield nodes all the way to the left. You can get +30% to all elemental resists, a significant block chance increase and a bonus to the defenses of your shield (which applies to evasion, energy shield and armor, not just armor as some think).

Finally, there are some +30 nodes that you can readily pick up without investing any additional points: 2x Agility, 1x Might and 1x Savant. These may be worth investing in as well. If you go to the INT node right below Eldritch Battery, you will see that you can refund this node and go to the down-right instead. At the cost of 1 extra skill point, you'll get access to another Agility and another Might if you need to.

If you are a hardcore character, which you probably aren't (due to the inability to cover chaos damage and the extremely poor early-to-midgame this character has), you could go for Conduit. You could get Conduit anyway if you want to be more of a team player. You'll have 5 Endurance Charges up at all time for the regeneration.

I'm looking forward to some feedback.

EDIT: You can also access 'reduced mana reservation' to help out with running auras if you so desire to. Finally, there are a ton of +% mana nodes near the center if you find yourself struggling with mana (you probably won't though).

EDIT2: It is even possible to run all 10 auras if you want to, but I'm unsure why you would want that unless you are specifically teaming up with a friend or people who have a lot of minions/summons.
Beyond league.
Last edited by SEXYSUPERSATAN on Feb 2, 2013, 2:23:57 AM
Just an update for those who requested it:

Currently level 51 in HC, trying to rush and finish up this build asap.

Current gear
Spoiler

Some pieces of gear waiting for me:
Spoiler

Still hoping to get decent Ar/ES helm + boots + gloves but tbat might be difficult. going is a little tough as I've scrimped on alot of DPS nodes in order to reach my desired nodes asap, but still managing to keep up at a decent leveling speed.

Edit: i'll be heading into act2 with a calculated total of 91% chaos resists from gear and skill tree, which would leave me at a net total of +31% chaos resists so that shouldn't be a problem.
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Last edited by Invalesco on Feb 2, 2013, 9:23:39 AM
"

I have a different approach on RF and health, however. I try to keep my health as low as possible and my energy shield as high as possible, basically a CI build but without the CI. This is to keep the self-damage from RF as low as possible. There is a unique armor that has Blood Magic and -20% to your maximum life, I think it's called The Covenant? From my understanding it doesn't multiply the mana cost unlike the BM support gem, so I will be able to run 3 40% auras off my health with the Reduced Mana support gem, as (40+40+40)*0.71 = 85.2% of my health. This means that I will be able to run Purity, Vitality and Determination for 'free' off my health. In fact, I'll even have a bit of health remaining depending on how much health I'll have then (not much) and can probably get another flat mana reserving aura in. I can run additional auras off my mana pool (discipline, clarity and grace are attractive options, one I could probably run off health).

The covenant's blood magic mod is global. It's akin to using the blood magic keystone, you won't have any mana pool to run any flat cost auras and you'll be using your hp as your mana every time you cast a skill
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Hey, i was thinking about something similar since some days, but i just lack the experience and understanding of the game to do this, i guess..
The biggest problem i got so far is: Your max resistances get lowered at the higher difficulties, is Righteous Fire Viable in the higher diffulties then?
"
thejgb wrote:
Your max resistances get lowered at the higher difficulties,

Max resistances do NOT get lowered at higher difficulties! Resistances get lowered, but not MAX resistances.
"
Invalesco wrote:
"

The covenant's blood magic mod is global. It's akin to using the blood magic keystone, you won't have any mana pool to run any flat cost auras and you'll be using your hp as your mana every time you cast a skill

That sucks, will be less auras then :(
Beyond league.
Hey Invalesco, How is your mana holding up with Freezing Pulse? I chose to level with Poison Arrow and Fire Trap, and mana is my limiting factor in kill speed at the moment at level 52. Are you using minions a lot?

I do gotta admit that having 100+ dex with no dex nodes on a templar using spells has been a bit odd.

I am just hitting the witch area now, so I suspect mana will improve greatly.
I have been thinking about this build; would molten shell be a nice addition? I guess it would kind of mess with elemental equilibrium if you planned on using it, but the damage is really high and seems to synergize well with the character (being somewhat close to mobs).
Beyond league.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info