[1.0.5] Cuddles' DoT Trapper (Poison Arrow, Fire Trap, Detonate Dead, w/ Puncture@ 213k+ dps)

1.0.3 passives are up, though honestly they aren't making that big of an impact for this build (because of the ridiculousness of the other modifiers). most of them are 7-9% DoT additive mods, single dip as opposed to the double dip if you were to take a similar trap damage passive. Still, it's nice to have the options and i've incorporated the worthwhile nodes into the target build.

As far as the new support gem is concerned, i'm 99% sure that it does not interact with puncture's DoT component but it is a solid MORE damage mode on the initial hit so i'm taking it as well.
Cuddles' DoT trapper build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/683322
Well, it should, shouldn't it? Puncture's DoT % is based on the initial hit. Stronger hit, more bleeding damage.

I was working on a crit strike puncture build, and someone led me here. Damn.

What auras are you running?

Too little life, though. I think some sort of compromise can/should be made between life, damage and evasion.
Last edited by Obermeir on Dec 12, 2013, 10:14:23 AM
Well yes, the initial hit is stronger but i was somewhat hoping it to be a generic projectile physical damage mod so that it could double dip with the DoT component as well... Can't get them all i guess...

I'm currently running Grace and Clarity and yes I am aware that this has a bit too low life to progress end-game maps, I am considering dropping Acrobatics and evasion altogether and go for an IR route but I'll see first where the current setup can get me.
That's quite the trek to Iron Reflexes, but it would allow you to get the Thick Skin nodes along the way...

Are the 6 Aura nodes you specced into really necessary to use just two auras? If all you're running are those two, I would grab more life nodes instead maybe. Depends on how essential they are. You could easily spec out of the Charisma nodes and the intelligence nodes and go get Revenge of the Hunted, for example.

a very quick adjustment I think might help already would be to take the Mana Geyser nodes and put them into the mana/life nodes to the right of Clever Construction. You lose 8% mana, 40% mana regen and 10 Int, but you gain 12% life...

You make a 10 point hike to get to Volatile Mines. That's huge amount of points to get there. How essential is Volatile Mines to the build? Is it really worth investing that much into it?

With some changes, you could easily find yourself with like 3000 life.
I have a secondary ranger at level 70 with a full respec ready should i decide to switch over to IR (at which point i will be abandoning Acrobatics and Ondar's guile nodes and invest those to trekking to IR). I should test that option there and see if armor > evasion with this playstyle.

The Charisma and Mana geyser are a big help to me because of the sheer amount of mana needed to keep casting the mines, Influence on the other hand I am now considering dropping to put those points onto the life+mana nodes near clever construction.

I'm still conflicted over Volatile Mines because i did get an improvement to the responsiveness of skill use (a minor reprieve to the clunkiness of the skill use mechanics). 7 points investment if you consider that i am taking the High Explosives node since it also passes through Entropy and Written in Blood. You can probably take Volatile Mines out but all that node adds is 38% mine damage. In hindsight High Explosives should have been a priority as it adds mine + trap damage and adds another health node available for more beef.

Thanks for the input

edit: respecced to IR and sat at 2.1k life with 8.1k armor and more damage, upon testing it is still viable and you do save a bit of points to get more life. Call me crazy but it actually felt less survivable than my eva/acro build. Probably because i never had to think about ranged mobs before (thanks ondar) and they're hurting me now because i can't Freeze mine all the scattered ranged mobs. If going IR, either get another layer of protection or more health (in this testing i put some of those points into High Explosives, if i put those into more life i probably would have reached near 3k hp). I've now settled on removing 2 points from Influence (kept the 5% reserved) and put those points into Written in Blood and got to 2.1k life.
Last edited by Cuddlepaws on Dec 12, 2013, 9:36:57 PM
I dnt see ur gear. Question: So u suggest to put mine + trap + puncture or PA and then shotting all ?. is there a way to kill very fast piety or dominus 2 forms ?.
IGNs: eternal_nina, eternal_madira, eternal_reaper, getmyshadow, eternal_ihgheart, eternal_darkess.
"
Dhoros wrote:
I dnt see ur gear. Question: So u suggest to put mine + trap + puncture or PA and then shotting all ?. is there a way to kill very fast piety or dominus 2 forms ?.

I haven't posted my gear yet because i'm still in the middle of reacquiring some upgrades. My helm for example is a lvl41 hunter's hood still. There's a short portion in the start on the crematorium piety video i put up that mouses over my (poor) gear when i was level 62.

Yes, you put mine+trap+puncture+someotherdamagesupport so that you make more killy. This goes for Poison arrow and Fire trap as well so as to take advantage of the passives you will be getting anyways.

If you hit them with puncture, Piety can die within 10 seconds as well as Dominus per form in around the same time. That is a big IF though, as i have already reported on the feedback and even on the bug report sections that the trap+mine+single target range skill has horrible targeting mechanics that may make you miss more than half the time.

edit: ah what the heck, here is my current gear go ahead and laugh
Spoiler
Last edited by Cuddlepaws on Dec 15, 2013, 11:14:54 AM
for a few months i've been looking to make a crit puncture based build. im wondering how it would compare dps wise to this mechanic you're using of double dipping trap/mine bonuses.

it would definitely be more consistent with the ability to build more survivability but you also would need to deal with reflect on initial hits and stuff.

interesting stuff though
Hey there! Great build! I took some ideas from you and made a build using a shadow and crit. Would love some feedback. thanks! http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/708579
Interesting interaction with Detonate dead and trap/mine supports. Seems like the 18% fire damage based on corpse hp is amplified by trap/mine supports and passives as well. Definitely a decent alternative to RoA for some direct damage AoE. Be advised though, you have to wait for a corpse to be available (since the mine targets corpses to throw traps to otherwise it just vanishes) and the AoE is small-ish compared to RoA. Great damage per corpse bomb though, I'm definitely keeping this on my build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info