monster balance issue after 1.0

"
"
Boem wrote:
I think you make a good point, it becomes even more clear when doing the new maps. Some people can run lvl 76 old maps, but have trouble doing the new 68 ones. This should be an indicator of the issue.

it might be the fact that its new and people havent learned how to deal with these guys yet. alas only time will tell.

People are routinely dying to devourers on maps just because they spawn in packs sometimes and instakill you. And yes, I'm talking about white devourers.

Let's not even get into champions or elite devourers.
Yup. I definitely also feel that the new monsters are a bit too powerful. I know that the upper tier of hardcore players are doing okay, but for someone a bit lower like myself, Act3 has become so frustrating that I end up logging off to do something else, rather than continuing progress.

The issue is all the mobs that hit much harder, and have charge/leap or other annoying movement skills. They also tend to have more HP.

Devourers and the leapy guys in Sceptre of God are the worst. I actually don't mind the corpse spitting bird men, though. Those are my new favorite mobs.

I tried taking my level 78 hardcore char (that I fully solo cleared Merciless with before release) to Cruel difficulty Dominus, but didn't feel safe fighting trash mobs and Caliga Imperatrix in Upper Sceptre, so I decided to stop after getting away with 10% HP.
Last edited by carkasjak on Oct 28, 2013, 4:22:16 AM
Try new version torture chamber map. Your rig must be godlike if you reach 10 fps there on boss fight.
Last time when I tried there were 6-7 lightning warp totems, around 100 sparks flying around, some minions and ~20 lightning storms up all the time. Add typical sunday lag (which causes effects to stack even more once you stop lagging) and you have better fireworks than during new year.
...As if difficulty alone wasn't bad enough.
Last edited by Xelrah88 on Oct 28, 2013, 8:54:47 AM
The damage balance (relative to the rest of the game) after killing Piety is a bit out of whack imo.

There is quite a significant spike when you reach Sceptre of God (at least playing as melee).

The relative spike felt particularly bad in Normal, though some of this could be attributed to me facing those things for the first time. I did however find most of cruel act 1 a breeze after that.

In cruel it was probably no less extreme, after I killed Dominus (only barely, something he did almost one shot me for 3.2k hp), Merciless felt a fair bit easier, save for the lacking resists.
There is no reward for fighting Dominus on merciless. Do the library quest for sick skill gem and leave the rest of that death trap be. ;)
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
"
the corpse eaters? your talkin about the ones in the garden right?

those have been a nightmare for me. not for damage though.

They do good damage, even to my tanky Marauder. I guess my Ranger and Witch will have a hard time there. Not even sure why they deal so much damage. Whatt do these creatures actualy do? Eating corpses and spit them on you or so. When dthe damage is calculated by the former life of the corpses we are in trouble.
So or so, these new mobs are not well balanced, tons of damage, and good resists, same with the guys in the Sceptre of Gods.
oh my.. played Bog with some boss mods and this trio of faster attack/speed/cast (and some irrelevant mods)

and got big pack do these new Leapers with life leech and extra dmg. each single one of these made me tingle. and ive killed map boss without even noticing it.

this is how crazy OP these new monsters are. it might not be obvious when you play 'campaign' but in maps where you start to scale them with 'more' it quickly becomes borderline broken experience

Leapers need SERIOUS nerf, same as these shielding 'exploists' and squirrels with machineguns - all three are completely off the charts currently

and do not even start about devouers and map boss (orchard!) without 77+ fire res. == instarip
Speaking of those corpse eaters... anyone else notice that the server forgets where they are and what they're doing far more often then any other mob?

example:

Corpse behind me, mob running at me, I fire a ranged attack at it and it vanishes and appears behind me on top of the corpse eating it, I turn to attack and within 1/10th of a second its already done eating the corpse and vanished again back to where it was originally... I then get hit in the back by its next attack...
"
Jiero wrote:
Speaking of those corpse eaters... anyone else notice that the server forgets where they are and what they're doing far more often then any other mob?

example:

Corpse behind me, mob running at me, I fire a ranged attack at it and it vanishes and appears behind me on top of the corpse eating it, I turn to attack and within 1/10th of a second its already done eating the corpse and vanished again back to where it was originally... I then get hit in the back by its next attack...

They are fast mobs. PoE tends to lag and desync if mobs are fast and even more if you are fast too. Same with these spitting Snakes, they are bareley there where they are displayed, at least for the most time.
I have compared good ping and no issues with my internet and gaming, only PoE has this kind of lagy gameplay.
Just my thoughts about new mobs.

I can facetank Merciless Piety's ice shots, but I run like a little girl from white mobs in Sceptre of God.

The corpse eaters have so much HP and they do huge damage when "charged", they should be like grapplers in sewers - spawned one at a time, yet there is usually like 15 of them.

I saw a stream where people were doing the Orchard Map and that worm boss thing almost one shots everyone, even with good gear. Never gonna do that boss.

Cruel Dominus was insane, he can probably rip some high level characters, I'm glad there is no reward for killing the Mercless one.

tl;dr: Alpha testing strikes again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info