monster balance issue after 1.0

before 1.0 monster 'power curve' was quite in line with area levels with some monsters being slightly less/more faceroll than average

after 1.0 situation is different

almost ALL new types of monsters are WAY stronger than monsters of old types inhabiting the same areas. two worst offenders

- squirrel with machinegun in the a.. tail. spectre these - you've won. damage is crazy, maneuverability is crazy, life pool is very good. compared to (same monster level) skeleton archers/mages - tank vs archer

- leapers (two similar types doing slightly diff things) with shield, arctic breath and this third spell noone knows of what type. they deal substantialy higher dmg than other monsters in the same map. they cast VERY powerful spells that always hit in AoE (summoners will jump away, their minions - get shredded). plus shield. plus arctic breath

third, but not so well tested by me - corpse eaters-spitters. these also seem to be WAY above typical power curve

situation is very clear when you (like me) play summoner with trash spectres. that is you summon whatever is around when needed. after summoning monsters of new types die ONLY when faced with monsters of new types or in boss fight

my zombies can stand up to map bosses and kill them without any losses up to lvl 72-73 (without flasks etc) but in lvl66 map leapers with shields and that 'puff' spell killed all 4 of them in few seconds.

there is something wrong and i think that new types of monsters (they are VERY fun!) are simply 20-25% too strong compared to typical and expected monster of the same 'area level'

it seems that most expansions have this issue - new content is always overpowered in some way just to stand out from the 'old' stuff. but in this case this creates completely not needed difficulty spikes that can lead to bullshit-type situations that are 0 fun

TL;DR == new monster types are significantly above power curve. this also applies to map bosses (Orchard map boss.. yeah right)
Last edited by sidtherat on Oct 27, 2013, 5:14:46 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
4 zombies and you complain they die. pfff.... I play with 9 and don't have any problems.
Crafting doesn't exist in POE. Gambling does...and the house always wins.

Velocireptile - I LOL'ed. Which made me fart. I wish the office were empty right now :(

Hardlicker - I had to push the dog out of the way so I could get to the sexy quilt.
maaaan, who plays summoner..that's dumpster. I just go in there and rape them in melee. squirrels and whatever, no problem. Bring some more squirrels...
Last edited by Warmey on Oct 27, 2013, 5:05:21 PM
i welcome your off-topic replies - both of them missed the point in 100%

next time dont bother posting, ok?

the corpse eaters? your talkin about the ones in the garden right?

those have been a nightmare for me. not for damage though.

If you've noticed, when an enemy walks out a room, if you attack it, sometimes you wont damage it, and end up teleporting in the middle of a room full of mobs and promptly dying..

Now these guys are programed to RUN ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!!!!! I end up chasing them, and teleporting in a room of death against my will...

for the others you listed I kind of agree, but its also with due the same problem for me
"
sidtherat wrote:
i welcome your off-topic replies - both of them missed the point in 100%

next time dont bother posting, ok?

I didn't miss any point, in fact I read the whole thing. I personally don't notice any difference, they are relatively easy.
I think you make a good point, it becomes even more clear when doing the new maps. Some people can run lvl 76 old maps, but have trouble doing the new 68 ones. This should be an indicator of the issue.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
I think you make a good point, it becomes even more clear when doing the new maps. Some people can run lvl 76 old maps, but have trouble doing the new 68 ones. This should be an indicator of the issue.

it might be the fact that its new and people havent learned how to deal with these guys yet. alas only time will tell.
anyone doubting that new content is overtuned - try Orchard map with decent but not overgeared character

map is EZPZ up until you get 1shoted by that fireball from the boss. real fun..

or better - any 70+ map. all cruise control until you find yourself facing 6pack of machinegun squirrels with haste aura and added dmg. insta-gib

titty bitches compared to these are nothing

ive heard that Villa boss (bear traps etc) is absolutely 100% balanced this time :)

somebody simply overtuned their dmg by like 20-30%..
"
Boem wrote:

exactly

in 'map management resource' guide there are LOTS of similar observations. something is way off this time. and i hope they fix it quickly as power curve that makes no sense is a bad one

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info