Reave Feedback

"
Nurvus wrote:
"
777isHARDCORE wrote:
In other words, the game will always tend to revolve around spamming your #1 skill. Reave's mechanic forces you to actually think, instead of just spam.

This is precicely what may end up ultimately holding Path of Exile back in terms of players - or at least supporters.

This is why players STILL consider the possibility of returning to shitty games like D3, despite PoE being better in nearly everything.

A single spammed skill throughout the entire game will wear down on players' enjoyment of this game in the long run.

The saving grace is the fact you can make alot of different characters to break the monotony, but within each character, it's monotonous, and at some point regardless of how many new characters you make, the feeling of monotony won't go away.

I am not really sure I understand the complaint. In almost every game of this nature, your character will tend towards a "main attack" skill with some auxiliary skills used in certain situations.

That is the same in PoE. Similarly, you are free to use additional skills as you see fit. In fact, anyone who does not yet have a 5l or 6l does not have an especially compelling reason to not do so, other than their own personal preference to use only one "main attack".

How is it different elsewhere?
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
Thank you for that thoughtful analysis. Correct me if I misunderstood, but you have argued that due to 5/6L restriction, end-game naturally gravitates toward single skill spam, so therefore skills should be designed for single skill spam. My response would be that end-game is not the whole game. If a skill can't cut the mustard before end-game why would it get so much better when you get to end-game? It is a great folly to design a level 1 skill for how level 80+ characters would use it. Either the skill should have had a much higher level requirement, or it should have been designed to work better for the modes of play available at the level it is unlocked.

AFAIK, Reave is not a popular skill compared to alternatives, such as Cleave. If the intent was to create a choice for players to make, then it would appear that players have made that choice: not to use Reave.

I am not sure where you gather the bolded part above.

You posited that the testers held a preconceived notion that single-skill spam was good and proper, and this influenced their feedback on Reave's "punishment" towards using skills other than Reave.

My response was to dispute this conclusion about the testers, as it seems they found it more engaging to have real consequences whenever they want to use auxiliary skills mid-combat when Reave is their main attack skill.

I agree with this position. When you are using another skill, say Cleave, there is no decision about whether to pop your curse, or refresh blood rage, or whatever other aux skill you might consider using. This is monotony. With Reave, you have to decide on the fly whether it is worth losing the stack to get the benefit of your aux skill.

The choice to "spam" a single main attack skill is a personal preference that is by no means mandatory, tho it is obviously encouraged by the 5l/6l situation as I detailed.

Personally, I have been playing a CI crit dagger shadow with Reave as my main skill. I was unsure it would pan out, and so was leveling a melee splash & double strike in my secondary weapons. But I find Reave much more fun and engaging, apparently in a very similar way to the testers. Getting the stack up and shredding progressively through a huge crowd of mobs is a lot of fun. :) And when blood rage runs out mid-fight for whatever reason, the decision of whether to recast mid-fight, whirling blades out to recast, or just plow on without it adds to the subtlety of the character.
HI

I really think its a flaw that you can't curse and reave without re-setting it, I understand the punishment forced to spam ideal with say going reave-reave-viper strike-back to reave without it being affected, but curses too...

mark1030
"
I have mine linked to multistrike, faster attacks, increased area of effect, and concentrated effect. If I could get a 6 link, I'd love to have added fire damage or another damage gem in there.

Cool I use Hrimsorrows with my reave(incr atck speed, icnr critical chance,incr critical multi)
The addition of added fire and incr weapon ele would be awesome if I had a 6l.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
"
Finkenstein wrote:
HI

I really think its a flaw that you can't curse and reave without re-setting it, I understand the punishment forced to spam ideal with say going reave-reave-viper strike-back to reave without it being affected, but curses too...

Mayhaps devs might be prevailed upon narrowing that restriction only to skills that deal damage in any way, so curses or enduring will be fine. You know, never before did I have the need to put inc duration on viper but with reave it's very useful, you stack charges and reave away, by the time they expire the beastie is dead.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 2, 2013, 5:44:36 AM
it's annoying when i lose stacks by casting enduring cry or something like that

also, even a 1 second increase on buff duration would do wonders for the viability of the skill

other than that it's a fun skill and i enjoy using it
"
777isHARDCORE wrote:

Personally, I have been playing a CI crit dagger shadow with Reave as my main skill. I was unsure it would pan out, and so was leveling a melee splash & double strike in my secondary weapons. But I find Reave much more fun and engaging, apparently in a very similar way to the testers. Getting the stack up and shredding progressively through a huge crowd of mobs is a lot of fun. :) And when blood rage runs out mid-fight for whatever reason, the decision of whether to recast mid-fight, whirling blades out to recast, or just plow on without it adds to the subtlety of the character.

In scrubcore leagues the choice is irrelevant as death does not matter, and hardcore leagues there would be no choice, since a player would always side with survivability.

What was the meaningful choice with it's current implementation?

No one uses the skill because it is terrible. Sure it may be fun now if a player is using a dumpster char, but it is pretty obvious the testers either gave useless feedback, or they intentionally gave poor feedback.
Hi

raics
"
Mayhaps devs might be prevailed upon narrowing that restriction only to skills that deal damage in any way, so curses or enduring will be fine. You know, never before did I have the need to put inc duration on viper but with reave it's very useful, you stack charges and reave away, by the time they expire the beastie is dead.

Exactly, curses,enduring cry,blood rage shouldn't reset the reave. Being forced to re start reave each time I cast the critical curse is lame. Viper strike with incr.duration is amazing in combo with reave.

geniusbean
"
it's annoying when i lose stacks by casting enduring cry or something like that

also, even a 1 second increase on buff duration would do wonders for the viability of the skill

other than that it's a fun skill and i enjoy using it

Come back DEV there is more to answer for...Why can't a player at least be able to cast a curse or enduring cry, blood rage?

bloodreign
"
No one uses the skill because it is terrible. Sure it may be fun now if a player is using a dumpster char, but it is pretty obvious the testers either gave useless feedback, or they intentionally gave poor feedback.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
"
777isHARDCORE wrote:
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
Thank you for that thoughtful analysis. Correct me if I misunderstood, but you have argued that due to 5/6L restriction, end-game naturally gravitates toward single skill spam, so therefore skills should be designed for single skill spam. My response would be that end-game is not the whole game. If a skill can't cut the mustard before end-game why would it get so much better when you get to end-game? It is a great folly to design a level 1 skill for how level 80+ characters would use it. Either the skill should have had a much higher level requirement, or it should have been designed to work better for the modes of play available at the level it is unlocked.

AFAIK, Reave is not a popular skill compared to alternatives, such as Cleave. If the intent was to create a choice for players to make, then it would appear that players have made that choice: not to use Reave.

I am not sure where you gather the bolded part above.

You posited that the testers held a preconceived notion that single-skill spam was good and proper, and this influenced their feedback on Reave's "punishment" towards using skills other than Reave.

My response was to dispute this conclusion about the testers, as it seems they found it more engaging to have real consequences whenever they want to use auxiliary skills mid-combat when Reave is their main attack skill.

I agree with this position. When you are using another skill, say Cleave, there is no decision about whether to pop your curse, or refresh blood rage, or whatever other aux skill you might consider using. This is monotony. With Reave, you have to decide on the fly whether it is worth losing the stack to get the benefit of your aux skill.

The choice to "spam" a single main attack skill is a personal preference that is by no means mandatory, tho it is obviously encouraged by the 5l/6l situation as I detailed.

I understand the end-game has different requirements from the early-game. In fact, that was precisely my point.

Reave is a Level 1 skill. If there are any skills in the game that should be usable for early game (before 5L+ is available) then it should be the level 1 skills. Everything you've argued is that Reave needs to be that way for end-game. So why is its level requirement 1? Reave is a total bust in races because it is not a good level 1 skill. Reave is not even good enough for you to level with it, despite being level 1. If Reave is only interesting when players have 5+ links then it's not a level 1 skill.

Which is more important, the level requirement or the effect? In the long run it may be the effect, however, the current lack of claw skills for leveling makes the short term need one for low level skills that are interesting. Reave failed in this regard. The fact that it is level 1 suggests that it was not intended to fail here. But it had no way it could succeed in the low levels if the only consideration given to the skill was how it can compete at high levels.
"
raics wrote:
"
Finkenstein wrote:
Hi
I like reave but don't get why it can't be affected by incr duration support? Do the incr skill duration passives work on reave though?
cheers

No, according to devs there's absolutely no way to mess with its duration.

Except for being cursed with Temporal Chains.

But I would really like it if you could use different skills without dropping the stacks. It would be add more depth if it allowed you to use other skills, especially something like Smoke Mine. (Which I haven't tested to see) Whirling Blades, Flicker Strike. Maybe even Bear trap would be on that list. I don't understand the argumentative tone that comes across from Marks reply, rather than a more open discussion on it.

You can't tell me that it wouldn't be fun to use Reave to max stacks and then spend them like combo points to have one really big Ice Nova.
Shmo's Suggestions; Dozen Skills!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/402487
I have leveled as Reave from lvl 20 to 73.

So far

+ much more fun than than Cleave!
+ great synergies with attack speed and area nods
+ no dmg multiplier - scalable with Phys as well as ele
+ huge area of effect - after getting stacks up can be easily considered as ranged class
+ manacost

- Multistrike dependence - without Multistrike i consider Reave as not viable (both keep stacks up and possibly reflect problems)
- quality bonus - i would expect increased Area Effect over Attack speed
- stacks drop after using another skill - problematic mostly for solo play

Overall i consider Reave to be at the moment the top 1H+Shield main skill over Lightning Strike. For playing in groups i don't think the stack dropping is such a big issue, since if you go melee, you usually don't need to curse (double/triple curse builds take care of it), throw totems or something like that. Only problematic is Enduring Cry, which is basically a mandatory skill for every char / build.

What surprised me is that stacks drop even if i use my secondary Reave for single target (with Concentrated effect)

What i would suggest is to modify the quality bonus or to add +1% increased area per stage for every 4 levels to level up bonus.
+ more visible animation
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info