Underleveled, can't catch up

I never had a problem with being 'underleveled'. If anything, I've always been 2 levels -over- the monsters I am hunting at that point.

Though I must mention, I'm an avid explorer and do check every nook and cranny of every map.

See? Much more rewarding then just following the road to your next quest!
"
Chris wrote:
"
Lmaoboat wrote:
Maybe if the areas were actually worth exploring instead of just being giant boxes of monsters. The entire game is like Durance of Hate level 2.

Please, go on? I am very interested in what you suggest we change?

How about a large chest guarded by a miniboss (such as horrible abomination) at a random(!) place in any area where it makes sense (for example not the ledge, because there is no exploring in this area)?
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Aug 26, 2011, 3:49:02 AM
"
Lmaoboat wrote:
"
Molda wrote:
I know that everyone has own style of play, however, i can't understand why there is so big number of players, that want to play the game as quickest as possible, run straight from start zone to exit zone in areas. They are not exploring areas etc etc. I don't know how they can enjoy the game that way. I definitely wouldn't enjoy this great game if i would play that way. (But as i said, thats just my opinion)
But when they did want to play that way, i don't know why are they complaining then. That they are underleveled etc. Its their fault.
Guess i will never understand this massively favourite online style of play.

Maybe if the areas were actually worth exploring instead of just being giant boxes of monsters. The entire game is like Durance of Hate level 2.

lol. durance of hate 2.

the areas are worth exploring...theyre all fairly unique, of course some look a tad similar, 1 caves usually doesnt look much different from another cave. but i feel the high quality textures rly brings each zone to life and they all feel different. act 2 is alot more unique with is many extra dungeons. i bet act 3 will look really great.

still i dont see how you think every map looks the same.
"
Chris wrote:
"
Lmaoboat wrote:

Well I think in some cases some linearity can be a good thing, like more branching paths instead of just a huge room. I lose XP, and just kind of feel bad for not exploring the map, but exploring the maps as they are now is kind of tedious because the huge size and lack of features makes it so you feel like you're not really making any progress.
Last edited by Lmaoboat on Aug 26, 2011, 5:11:30 AM
"
Lmaoboat wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
"
Lmaoboat wrote:

Well I think in some cases some linearity can be a good thing, like more branching paths instead of just a huge room. I lose XP, and just kind of feel bad for not exploring the map, but exploring the maps as they are now is kind of tedious because the huge size and lack of features makes it so you feel like you're not really making any progress.

That's something I felt as well (that I wasn't progressing) in some instances.

Some instances are too large, and if I only had 30 minutes to play, it gets annoying after a while because I still haven't found the entrance to the next instance, and I have no way to measure how far or close I am to finding it.

This could be intended. However, in act2 zones where there are roads in the middle of most zones, I would recommend maybe adding road signs (like old decrepit wooden signs) that would point toward the correct direction. (Or, you know, a sign that would say roughly which direction to branch to reach the next step(s).)

If you don't explore, you still miss out on hidden dungeons and such, but if you don't have time to branch off and explore, or if it's simply not your thing, you can always rely on directions.

I think the worst zone by far right now is the Prisoner's Gate in act 1, where you just have no idea what it is and where it will end. It could be a good thing to some players though. It may be exactly what GGG was trying to achieve, to immerse the player. Depends on your play-style, I guess.

Edit: I should add that the Prisoner's Gate didn't bug me during my first play-through; only subsequently.
Fourier - Level 41 Templar (Hardcore League)
FourierII - Level 55 Duelist (Hardcore League)
HC Ladder Rank: 7
Last edited by Fourier on Aug 26, 2011, 6:53:57 AM
if you only have 30 minutes to play, kill mobs for 30 minutes, you've gained 30 minutes of XP, you've progressed.

I like the big zones, I wish there were less way points personally.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
Fourier wrote:
"
Lmaoboat wrote:
"
Chris wrote:

That's something I felt as well (that I wasn't progressing) in some instances.

Some instances are too large, and if I only had 30 minutes to play, it gets annoying after a while because I still haven't found the entrance to the next instance, and I have no way to measure how far or close I am to finding it.

This could be intended. However, in act2 zones where there are roads in the middle of most zones, I would recommend maybe adding road signs (like old decrepit wooden signs) that would point toward the correct direction. (Or, you know, a sign that would say roughly which direction to branch to reach the next step(s).)

If you don't explore, you still miss out on hidden dungeons and such, but if you don't have time to branch off and explore, or if it's simply not your thing, you can always rely on directions.

I think the worst zone by far right now is the Prisoner's Gate in act 1, where you just have no idea what it is and where it will end. It could be a good thing to some players though. It may be exactly what GGG was trying to achieve, to immerse the player. Depends on your play-style, I guess.

Edit: I should add that the Prisoner's Gate didn't bug me during my first play-through; only subsequently.

I think as it is, the encourages you to rush by making exploring the entire zone involve tediously running back and fourth across the map, but punishes rushing by making you under leveled. I think Diablo 2's style of map generation doesn't really work well, especially with the huge sizes. Making the maps have more distinct areas and paths would help focus the action.
Putting in unique landmarks and special things randomly within large zones will help break them up.

Otherwise I don't understand the mentality that large zones are bad.. to me, small zones are bad.

The game lacks a motivator to branch out laterally, which would fix exploration.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
Chris wrote:
"
Lmaoboat wrote:

Your maps are big enough to support at least two random "finds" per map.

1) A small hidden sub level with a unique mob and a large chest. Similiar to flooded depths. Every zone needs a flooded depths.

2) A large fixed tile set in amongst the random that involves a named npc and pack with better than average drops. Think the butchers room in Diablo but only on a bit bigger scale and randomed in with the map. If it involved a repeatable quest with even just medium reward (say a bag with a mystery item and some currency).

This encourages exploring and clearing maps without it feeling so tedious. I did open field in Act 2 last night and it felt like it was going on forever with no point agains the same 2 mobs.
"
BurnThrew wrote:

I think three things should be done
1. Increase the boost of power you get per level (especially lower levels)

This could easily be achieved by making stat points worth something!

2. increase monster difficulty accordingly

This could also be achieved by doing the exact same thing with mobs, having melee based mobs gain str stats, bow/ranged/assassin mobs gain dex stats, and castor mobs gain int stats, all boosting their dmg output accordingly.

3. Remove the level punishment in solo play (so you can level against monsters higher levels)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info