Death's Oath CI

I wouldn't suggest using blood rage as there is very little benefit to this build. Blood dance will be generating frenzy charges and if need be I could use frenzy/multistrike as my primary attack.

As for the chaos resistance I wont be needing that much as the 4500 chaos damage is over 10 seconds and conveniently enough my frenzy charges(which provide me with 1% life regen per charge) would be running out at the same time but will still grab gear with chaos resistance when possible to mitigate this even more. This 1% life regen plus ones picked up in the skill tree will be more then enough to counteract the chaos dot caused by deaths oath

By using blood dance instead of dark ray I will be losing a lot of dodge correct, but it is more beneficial for me to block then to dodge in this case due to the anvil neck piece.

Combine with tempest shield and punishment it should be a reasonable amount of damage being done.
"
Zanyu wrote:
Novalisk the point of an ES build is usually to have a larger amount of "health" pool and if you do take a large amount of damage, there's at least a larger buffer than melee life builds. I'm guessing that was the logic GGG had when they were nerfing the life nodes.

I've talked to some CI friends, and I know of recent CI melee builds, other than the a very very item dependent high dependent crit dagger shadow build. CI melee is just a "fun" and unique build that isn't as competitive as other sides of the spectrum. But they are definitely viable.

Even with a crit shadow dagger build, you are usually playing a "ranged" melee with lightning strike.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/422432/page/1

Is one of the CI "melee" builds that I am mentioning that is completely viable.

But I almost know absolutely no one that can easily (it's usually extremely expensive and high level) be a "melee" with CI and by this I mean, actually going in and say cycloning around for leech and damage (or cleave, heavy strike, cyclone is just an example). Most CI melee use lightning strike in conjunction of their build. They are just making up for a weak portion of their build, CI wasn't supposed to be in the middle of the fray to take consistent hits and "tank."

Even your build is taking use of lightning strike, and like I said, you could easily do this build with a regular ES or even a hybrid chest. Hell if you really want offensive melee stats on an item, use thunderfists, it helps lightning strike, has ES, and can opt out for a real chest.

I've done the math and some extensive testing with death's oath and I simply cannot justify using this chest piece in any real niche build without saying a rare chest with near above average stats to serve the same use and perform better.

As I have said and as well as others, test out the build, get the items and actually do it. At the moment, everything you've said is just in theory and seriously I know no one else, except me who has seriously try this chest to see if there is something special about it.
I've easily thrown like maybe 20 ex or more just to screw around with this chest and spec with certain things, clearing out all types of content with it. And my conclusion came down to, this chest is just not a truly viable option. I would rather use a 400 es chest for a CI melee build, or just a random glorious plate with resists and life or just a bringer for a life build.

I would love to be proven wrong about this chest. I welcome it. I even offered to give you exalteds to make a build with the chest that isn't out-shined easily by some mediocre chest in most cases. I'm practically sitting on currency while I'm not playing this game as much as I used to.

"
@Zanyu, Invalesco actually had a CI build up which used a rare Astral for a chestpiece. Not sure how long it's been since updating or anything, but my understanding is that it's at least viable.

I did a quick search, only found him doing I think a level 67 map and very slowly clearing it, and I think coming close to death.

Possible =/= viable.

What I consider viable in this game is being able to consistently execute something with near amount of the same effort.

If I were able to fully clear a level 67 map with death's oath within say 2 hours, and almost experiencing death 3 times, versus say a normal clear in 30 minutes and never coming close to death is a difference of what is viable and isn't. Because to make an item to even become usable it required high tiers of gear to make another item usable, with a crappier clear speed and higher risk with no higher reward gain.

CI Melee Is actually one of the Strongest Melee Builds possible for certain skill types. As THE proponent of CI Leapslam, I can tell you that my leapslam build is stronger than any melee build I have yet to come across, except for the Shield Block/Spell Block builds. In 77 Maps, I can easily tank any rare and under mob, and any boss (other than iceform Piety, currently she does too much fucking damage post CI nerf).
Ign: TheMidgetCow (Level 88.8 CI Leapslam Templar --- Default)
TheMidgetCowAmbush (Level 91.7 Buzzsaw Ranger --- Ambush)
TheMidgetCowBurns (Level X LowLife RF Scion --- Ambush)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/348309/page/1 --- Legacy Guide to CI Leapslam Templar
"
dr0p wrote:

By using blood dance instead of dark ray I will be losing a lot of dodge correct, but it is more beneficial for me to block then to dodge in this case due to the anvil neck piece.

Combine with tempest shield and punishment it should be a reasonable amount of damage being done.

This isn't an either/or thing, but I guess if you really wanted to use Tempest Shield and Anvil as a damage source you wouldn't want any dodge.
Last edited by Novalisk on Jul 21, 2013, 7:23:16 AM
Hey all,

i was reading all your discussion about using or not, a death oath armor on a CI build.

I am actualy lvl 77 shadow using it. I will link you my stuff, my build, and gems i am using.

Please not than actualy i am a bit stuck with my stuff, would like to change my old weapon and find a dreamfragment, but i don't have enough currencies actualy to be able to make those changes.

If you are interested by this build, i think i will try (for the first time) to make a video to show how it work. Actually i am able to facetank Kole/Blacksmith and all others shit boss doing great physical damage on maps.

First, the stuff:

Spoiler

Flask i am using:

Spoiler

Note than i am using mana flask only in maps mods with 50% less mana regen. This problem will be fixed with a dreamfragment.

The build:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABAcMjQ1JDkgQexEvEVARlhXXFr8dFB4aHwIkiyftKCoqOCsKLL8tHzBUM5Y2xTvhPC09D0BVQYxDY0cGTDVMs03YVmNY9VnzX2pmnm0Zb1dxTXKpcz96uHy7fNl_xoauh9uIa4t6jHaPRo_6mVeZmprPncSePKKjpn-nCKcrpzSsqq6TsbO0xbVItve3Mbc-u9a-OsAawQDBxcHzwuzDbcT2xq7Xhtgk2xrb5-L344LjhOtj7BjtQfPd9Uv60v-T

Note than i am in the path to take vaal pact. actualy i don't need it with my weapon but i am planning to change it as soon as possible.

what do you think about it ? I have maybe better to do with ES nods in skill tree, using more ES shield nodes and less overall increase ES.

I am sitting on 5700 ES with lvl 18 discipline (waiting to have good colours to use my alpha howl). I have around 35% reduced physical damage with armor from death oak. I have also 10% evasion, 32% life leech with my claw and armor.

Actualy, my recent deaths comes from: Freeze (i want that damn dreamfragment !) and desync...

Gems i am using:

5L chest: double strike + melee physical damage + melee damage on full life + multistrike + melee splash damage

4L helm: Reduce mana + hatred + discipline + purity (i will add determination when i will be able to use alpha howl trick)

4L boots: faster casting + increase duration + enfeeble + blood rage

Well, i hope you will have enough informations to judge about this build and using death oath. If you have any question (or maybe donation... lol no it is not Xmas) please let me know.

I will try to use a videomaker with my poor old computer to proove than i am able to facetank Kole and all his hitting hard friends.

Ps: Sorry if my english is awfull, it is not my native language xD
Last edited by Garvil on Jul 23, 2013, 9:17:39 AM
So you will mitigate Deaths Oath with the Blood dancers? Good luck on that.

I run a flickerzerker with max Frenzy charges, employing the blood dancers and blood rage to sustain the flickering madness. Its obviously life based, 1 handed and with a shield and I can tell you blood rage alone is a massive amount of degen. My base life regen amounts to 3.5% and theres a 7% extra regen with the frenzy charges so even with the Life regen of my nodes, I still need at least 3 frenzy charges for my regen to break even with blood rage.

Now some hard numbers now from actual playing experience (theorycrafting with no grounded testing is just utter bullshit in this game)

My current hp is 3800 at lvl 77, My chaos resist is -20%, That means im taking 4.8% of my life per second as dmg from blood rage. Thats 182.4 Degen per second.

Assuming I can gain at least 50% more chaos resist (LOL, that is absolutely unrealistic, chaos resistance is ridiculously hard to find, and without nodes, its impractical to stack) Ill be at 30% chaos resistance and the numbers will be as follows

3800 - (4 x .7) = 3800 - 2.8%. Thats 106 life degen. Now that alone is mitigated with my natural regen without the frenzy charges, but like I pointed earlier, getting that amount of ridiculous gear is harder than say, getting the gear for a low life faceroll farming sporker.

And all those numbers were jUST about bloodrage, if you were to swap blood rage for Deaths Oath, the numbers would be as follows

With my Current gear: 450 X 1.2 = 540 Life degen with -20% chaos resistance. Thats 2.96 times what Im already going through with blood rage.

Now with the totally unrealistic amount of 30% chaos resist: 450 X .7 = 315. I reach 10.5% life regen with all the frenzy charges on and that amounts to 399 Life regen, a cut above what I would be degenerating, which is pretty mediocre but you could argue it sustains itself.

Now time to ground the build with truth cold facts.
Why is my hp just 3800? The blood dancers does not roll hp (and neither does the abyssus I have in my head), and if you add Deaths Oath, expect the life roll on your chest to take a dive and your hp to go even less.

Blood rage allows me keep the frenzy charges up, and adds a lot of life leech too. Deaths oath grants a similar amount of life leech so it somehow breaks even there, but it would be hard to keep the frenzy charge up, and blood dancers alone even with the highest roll possible, wont generate charges to keep the build self sufficient.

Why am I using abyssus? Because I need the extra dps to compete in clearing speed with the ridiculous discharge-sporker builds that plague the game. I tried this build with a boss helm and it just does not cut it. Im also using a six linked chest for moar dmg.

Final thougts (TL:DR): Unless you have a ridiculous amount of money and have a crazy amount of luck finding chaos resist good rolled gear on poe xyz, you are not making Deaths Oath Viable

On a second note: Abyssus + Deaths Oath = massive attribute bonuses = Actually a great choice for a Pillar of the Caged god build, too bad your survivablity will take a huge dive without a shield.

"
Gaizk wrote:
So you will mitigate Deaths Oath with the Blood dancers? Good luck on that.

No, this is a CI build. I'm assuming you're replying to dr0p's post, and he already said he isn't using blood rage (though the build is still questionable).
Novalisk happy to see someone taking up the challenge with this armour. Who the *BIIIP* cares if it can clear a 75+ map? They never drop anyway.
All seriousness aside, I enjoy "breaking the code" for new items finding the most effecient build possible. If you like finding new unique builds that works and you enjoy, there is good reason to play this game :-)

Anyway I do play a physical CI wander which is almost done (needs a better wand + level 91).
I am looking for the next new build.

I have a level 85 Marauder with a full respec and I will be doing a CI build for this badass looking armour (I hope it will be!)

I have collected these items so far:

Since Death's oath provide 5% life leech I will end up having 21% with quality bloodrage. I'm aiming to do a pure physical leecher with vaal pact. The advantages with using CI is also you get to fully take advantage of:

I could do something like Heavy strike, melee splash, melee dmg, melee dmg on full hp, faster attacks.
Could also use Cleave, melee dmg, melee dmg on full hp, concentrated effect, faster attacks it might be better.

Here is the build:

This is all theorytical I have no idea of telling if it will actually work :D
In my mind it should be viable if you get high base ES on all your items except Death's ofc.
Last edited by Harmster on Aug 2, 2013, 12:56:28 PM
I did some testing Novalisk.

In my opinion this chest works best with pure physical builds due to the fact that you benefit more from the 5% life leech.
However it could work with Glacial hammer since you can stand there and freeze the mobs forever and let the aura do its job - its a bit safer than lightning strike and infernal blow.

I'm just suggesting that CI inspired builds should pick an ES chest if you go with either of the 50% abilities. The biggest reason is that physical damage gets cuts in half the monsters armour will mitigate more damage and you will leech less ES.

If some things go wrong you have a bigger buffer to help you. I had almost 10K ES when I tested lightning strike with my 985 chest. This could really help in dangerous situations where your attacks won't refill your ES pool in a split second.
If you can afford it Shavonnes revalation would be insane with this.

Thats it for now, I might put some Death's oath / Soul taker build's up later on about my findings. Stay tuned!

"
Harmster wrote:
I did some testing Novalisk.

In my opinion this chest works best with pure physical builds due to the fact that you benefit more from the 5% life leech.
However it could work with Glacial hammer since you can stand there and freeze the mobs forever and let the aura do its job - its a bit safer than lightning strike and infernal blow.

I'm just suggesting that CI inspired builds should pick an ES chest if you go with either of the 50% abilities. The biggest reason is that physical damage gets cuts in half the monsters armour will mitigate more damage and you will leech less ES.

Armour doesn't really come into play since sceptres aren't that fast to begin with. and with melee physical damage and melee damage on full life your damage per hit is quite high (even with multistrike).

Physical life leech with quality blood rage and death's oath is 15%, which is 7.5% after conversion (pretty good). Double Strike might be better for life leech, but with glacial hammer multistrike on a crit build, you can freezelock most mobs.
"
Novalisk wrote:

Armour doesn't really come into play since sceptres aren't that fast to begin with. and with melee physical damage and melee damage on full life your damage per hit is quite high (even with multistrike).

Physical life leech with quality blood rage and death's oath is 15%, which is 7.5% after conversion (pretty good). Double Strike might be better for life leech, but with glacial hammer multistrike on a crit build, you can freezelock most mobs.

Base damage is no difference between axes and scepters. Only that scepters is better with elemental attacks.

Siege axe actually has quite poor base dmg, would like a slower axe with more base dmg :D

And I know about the 2 melee gems:

Heavy strike is quite frankly annoying, but it does way more damage than Cleave with Increased AOE. I tried cleave with concentrated effect, but without the area passives or Increased AOE gem it totally fails to hit enough mobs, and sometiems it does not hit them at all, even right in front of you!

This led me to believe that a Templar might be better for this build since the damage is not a problem and you would like that extra bit of AOE to farm faster.
If only I had a 6L that Cleave would be absolutely nuts!

Shame because I like the Marauder brute style better :D

Marauder build:

Templar AOE build:

Both builds get 20% block from the skill tree.
Last edited by Harmster on Aug 4, 2013, 11:56:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info