Looting -- The official thread for discussing the loot system. Updated 18th March, 2013.

"
Vooodu wrote:

That's how games are made. That's like saying you won't play Tetris unless the pieces are all squares, because you don't want to be forced to play it their way.
I ask for square pieces. They dont change them, I wont play. If I didnt want square pieces, I wouldn't play with square pieces even if they allowed me to

"
Vooodu wrote:

And seriously, this has been talked to death. If your posts are directed at me and trying to change my mind it won't happen. I prefer a more ruthless style of ARPG. An ARPG that POE almost made until it started listening to the whiners and cry babies.

POE is not a ruthless style of ARPG. I don't know where these false things come from, but they are far far from the truth. Drop rate is huge, respecs are a walk in the park (you evne buy them from a shop jesus), HC is not perma death etc.etc. I wont lie to you, POE was one of the easiest ARPG's I have played. Ok, maybe it was more difficult than Torchlight 2, but that's one out of hundreds. And again, ruthless doesnt equate FFA loot in a fucking PVE setting, especially when you can walk past it, be it by soloing or by partying with friends.

Instanced DOESNT make the game easier. It makes PUBLIC (I'll repeat that), PUBLIC PARTIES less frustrating. PERIOD.
"
fevgatos wrote:
POE is not a ruthless style of ARPG. I don't know where these false things come from, but they are far far from the truth. Drop rate is huge, respecs are a walk in the park (you evne buy them from a shop jesus), HC is not perma death etc.etc. I wont lie to you, POE was one of the easiest ARPG's I have played. Ok, maybe it was more difficult than Torchlight 2, but that's one out of hundreds. And again, ruthless doesnt equate FFA loot in a fucking PVE setting, especially when you can walk past it, be it by soloing or by partying with friends.

Instanced DOESNT make the game easier. It makes PUBLIC (I'll repeat that), PUBLIC PARTIES less frustrating. PERIOD.

They aren't "false things". They are what the developers define it as. Or as it was. Not anymore.

respecs? You can buy them from the shop? ... *looks at my support tag* I know about buying things from the shop and there is no "respec" option.

They aren't easy. You obviously don't know what you are talking about or are talking about something else and calling it "respecs".

HC IS perma death in all intents and purposes. Yes, you can play with that character, but for that league, it's permanent death.

Yes, it does. Ruthless implies that anything can occur at any time to screw you over. A group member grabbing an orb that you need is an example of this.

As far as the devs *were* concerned, Wraeclast is a PVP and PVE experience and was meant to be.

Yes, it does. Using caps and saying period doesn't make it true. It just means you believe it to be true quite a lot.

Agree to disagree?
"
TremorAcePV wrote:

They aren't "false things". They are what the developers define it as. Or as it was. Not anymore.
So the game is hardcore not because it is hard but because the devs said its hard! WOW!!! Did they say that it is not hard anymore or is that just you?

"
TremorAcePV wrote:

respecs? You can buy them from the shop? ... *looks at my support tag* I know about buying things from the shop and there is no "respec" option.
The in game trader...brah get a brain

"
TremorAcePV wrote:

They aren't easy. You obviously don't know what you are talking about or are talking about something else and calling it "respecs".
Orbs of regret they are called. I have 15 on a 43 level character already.

"
TremorAcePV wrote:

HC IS perma death in all intents and purposes. Yes, you can play with that character, but for that league, it's permanent death.
In any other game, its perma death for any league. So, here its easier, no buts and whys. Most people wont stop playing their 90+ level character because they fell out of HC.

"
TremorAcePV wrote:

Yes, it does. Ruthless implies that anything can occur at any time to screw you over. A group member grabbing an orb that you need is an example of this.
Then every single game is ruthless according to your definition....
"
TremorAcePV wrote:

As far as the devs *were* concerned, Wraeclast is a PVP and PVE experience and was meant to be.
I cant see PVP anywhere. Oh, there are those instances where you can join, but thats more like a friendly brawl, since you lose nothing by dying.

"
TremorAcePV wrote:

Yes, it does. Using caps and saying period doesn't make it true. It just means you believe it to be true quite a lot.
Saying instanced makes the game easier automatically means that you find it difficult to click on your loot in FFA, which then makes me take you for a major lowbob. Well, ok, for a small percentage for the player base (handicapped , braindead people with mental disorder) that found it difficult to pick up their loot, the game is easier. For the rest its the same.

Frankly, what FFA with timers did was adding a layer of frustation. It's EXACTLY like some Windows pop up messages flooding you with "are you sure you want to delete this" etc etc. They require a single click and they go away, clicking them is NOT hard but yet, it gets frustrating after a while. Now if you have 6 other people hovering their mouse ontop of your popup message you may get a nervous breakdown after a while. And that's what POE die with FFA with timers. It made it way easy to pick up your loot but frustrating cause you saw people cmaping it, forcing you to abandon combat and go grab loot.
Spoiler
"
"
square0 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of complaining about an option

I suppose it's true that randomly handing out loot instead of equally dividing it is less than preferable, but at least that's not the only way you're forced to get loot in a group

Yea, its pretty easy to miss. Who is going to complain about having choices?

The truth is very few. The whole controversy over looting has been this way:

A) A vast majority are just looking out for themselves. (What? I don’t need to compete over loot anymore. Great! Even if you got more loot with the previous system at least now you don’t have to fight over it or trust anyone: "easier is always better")

B) Another large group came from D3/MMO's and never played D2 and have hated the looting system all along. They hated the way this game was originally designed and were pushing the developers to change the game to their way. (Many of them only played solo and refused to try to play public games or adapt to the way it was)

C) Some that saw loot competition as good forced dynamic that made the game more fun, rewarded people for paying attention and an incentive for players to group up and make friends/permanent parties etc. or get good at competing for loot in public games. (Most in this group are apathetic to the changes and are sick of arguing and being outnumbered by groups A and B - and were often arguing against their own best interest for the sake of the game but accused of being in group D)

D) Ninja looters - people who have good connections and skilled at looting very fast because they played games with ffa looting for a long time - most of them have no reservations taking loot from slower players, but will almost never show up in the forums and argue to defend their advantage.

So what happened? We got "options", to please everyone... right? No. only group A and B.
Loot competition is broken, almost every SA game out there will change to PA in a heartbeat as soon as a transmute orb get swiped or if anyone asks. It’s a ONE WAY street. (Don’t even need to mention FFA because it does not exist in public games)

Therefore, you are missing something big actually, and so is PoE now.

From the looks of this thread nothing has changed, people just don’t give a shit. The developers themselves have come out and made statements to the effect that "they were ninja looters too!" like some hapless idiots that just picked a looting system out of thin air and made some kind of doofus move not going with options from the beginning. Despite the many emphatic "ITS VERY IMPORTANT" statements, they made defending the FFA status in the past that was never explained.

As far as I'm concered we dident get options - we HAD options (in that people made thier own rules among friends) and now we actually have none.

Thanks for the lengthy response. Although it seems--from my point of view--you're just unhappy about being in the minority. The game gives you the choice of the same experience as before the permanent allocation patch, the fact that this is harder to find isn't really a fault of the game.

I can understand why you're unhappy. You got shafted. What evidence (permanent allocation, permanent allocation everywhere) points as being the truth is though, many more people are now happier than unhappier. I don't expect you to care about the feelings of others, I know I wouldn't, but whining about it... well I can't fault you for that either. It was what changed the game to have options in the first place.

And now I'm staring at another pointless post I'm tempted to delete. Uh... life sucks? There, point achieved.
"
TremorAcePV wrote:

"
fevgatos wrote:
In any other game, its perma death for any league. So, here its easier, no buts and whys. Most people wont stop playing their 90+ level character because they fell out of HC.

And let's not forget that you dont loose your equipment, you can sell it on standard league and then cross-league-trade that currency to get you started again in hardcore league, but not from zero this time but with a cash reserve.
Right,that is so "hardcore". Pathetic
"
fevgatos wrote:
"
Vooodu wrote:

That's how games are made. That's like saying you won't play Tetris unless the pieces are all squares, because you don't want to be forced to play it their way.

I ask for square pieces. They dont change them, I wont play. If I didnt want square pieces, I wouldn't play with square pieces even if they allowed me to

And this is the kind of thinking that ruins good games and confuses game devs.
"
Vooodu wrote:

Agreed.

Voodu I don't see how you do it. This thread and many of the people who argue in it are so toxic in their speech. It's sad. :(

*sigh* I guess PoE will just have to weather people like this. I imagine it's like a kettle making tea. Bitterness implied of course.
"
Vooodu wrote:

No its not. THis is just...your opinion man.

People keep coming about the hardcore nature of FFA. It's not, get over it. There are no reprecursions no matter what you do, no tough choices, nothing. You can just click in everything that drops and that's all there is to it. Guess what, everyone clicks on all drops, so according to your logic, everyone is a hardcore player. Buhuhu, not. A hardcore game is a game that actions have consequences, POE has none.

There can't be, because its not an MMO. ARPGS are PVE games, no matter how you boil them. Soloing instances prove just that, that its fundamentaly a single player game. Saying FFA makes it hardcore is stupid. Every single person (including monkeys , apes and chimpanzees) can click that damn loot, and since noone can do anything about it (you cant kill them, heck you cant even keep them out of your party since they can rejoin) there is no hard choice to be taken. There is no choice involved between "should I pick that up or would X player kill me?". Nop, you click EVERYTHING thats on the floor, and that's all FFA does. I can't see anything hardcore in there. Nothing. ZIP. Yeah, you can choose not to pick that "other's" guy's loot, but why should you? He can't do anything about it

I frankly don't even know why are we discussing this. It's plain obvious actually. I can realize some people enjoy FFA loot (true FFA, no timers there), heck sometimes I like it too. But since in this game there are ways to work around it (playing with friends / solo etc.) and since there is no policy or reprecursions for people not following rules (No ninjaing parties etc.) its fucking stupid to not have the option to turn it off for those who want to. BEcause frankly, if you joined my "no ninjaing" party and picked up everything, how could I respond to that? I couldn't....you can grief my party while I can only stand there watching.
Last edited by fevgatos on Jul 12, 2013, 3:29:14 PM
"
fevgatos wrote:
"
Vooodu wrote:

No its not. THis is just...your opinion man.

People keep coming about the hardcore nature of FFA. It's not, get over it. There are no reprecursions no matter what you do, no tough choices, nothing. You can just click in everything that drops and that's all there is to it. Guess what, everyone clicks on all drops, so according to your logic, everyone is a hardcore player. Buhuhu, not. A hardcore game is a game that actions have consequences, POE has none.

There can't be, because its not an MMO. ARPGS are PVE games, no matter how you boil them. Soloing instances prove just that, that its fundamentaly a single player game. Saying FFA makes it hardcore is stupid. Every single person (including monkeys , apes and chimpanzees) can click that damn loot, and since noone can do anything about it (you cant kill them, heck you cant even keep them out of your party since they can rejoin) there is no hard choice to be taken. There is no choice involved between "should I pick that up or would X player kill me?". Nop, you click EVERYTHING thats on the floor, and that's all FFA does. I can't see anything hardcore in there. Nothing. ZIP. Yeah, you can choose not to pick that "other's" guy's loot, but why should you? He can't do anything about it

I frankly don't even know why are we discussing this. It's plain obvious actually. I can realize some people enjoy FFA loot (true FFA, no timers there), heck sometimes I like it too. But since in this game there are ways to work around it (playing with friends / solo etc.) and since there is no policy or reprecursions for people not following rules (No ninjaing parties etc.) its fucking stupid to not have the option to turn it off for those who want to. BEcause frankly, if you joined my "no ninjaing" party and picked up everything, how could I respond to that? I couldn't....you can grief my party while I can only stand there watching.

You know, you keep making these excuses about why things should be your way. Just like the Tetris example.

I don't see like that.

If another great APRG gets made with FFA loot will the horde of you come to cry on their forums steps night and day till you get what you want? Why? What is your damage?

Screw that ninja garbage. Ninja this and ninja that.. Its just FFA loot, nothing more or less.

Just loot flopping all over the ground which can be picked up. If your mind takes it to ninjas and griefing its because you let it. This loot floppage creates a special kind of atmosphere/emotion in the game. If you don't get it, you never will and theres nothing more to discuss about it.

Loot options in POE has made it dull for the most part.

"
Vooodu wrote:
Loot options in POE has made it dull for the most part.

To you.
To me the loot options did nothing since I don't party anyway.
To the other carebears like me who do party it made it a better game.

In my mind the sad part here is GGG is losing on all fronts it seems. You PvP types are pissed because the game's going all carebear. For me, the game is still WAY to centrally focused on PvP. Maybe you're right and they should stop trying to be all things to all people and just give up and make a niche market game.
I don't trade. I don't group. My comments reflect that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info