Could someone from GGG answer please? :D

Nerd owned.

Keep up the good work team.

edit: Want to buy all my revised edition cards? :)
We tested it extensively
Last edited by Icholas on May 13, 2013, 12:59:48 AM
"
Rhys wrote:

-The rules regarding Phasing have changed multiple times, in turn enabling and destroying various combo decks.

Still mildly upset by this.

Last edited by Michael_GGG on May 13, 2013, 12:59:09 AM
"
Rhys wrote:
"
HopTortoise wrote:
I thought they said they were modeling this shit after Magic: The Gathering?

What a blatant lie.

You never saw WotC changing the god damn rules once an edition of cards was out.

They didn't change the "drop rate" of cards. They didn't evvveerrr change that until the absolute NEXT batch came. that was their opportunity to alter their drop rates, alter the cards, and alter the rules.

Wizards of the Coast actually has made rules changes that retroactively affect old Magic cards. Multiple times.

-When 6th Edition came out, Artifacts stopped "turning off" when they were tapped, and Interrupt spells were all changed to Instants (making them counterable and able to be responded to).

-The rules regarding Phasing have changed multiple times, in turn enabling and destroying various combo decks.

-2 Years ago, the rules for how damage is assigned in combat were changed, removing a layer of complexity from the game and drastically nerfing every instant-speed bounce spell ever, as well as many utility creatures like Mogg Fanatic.

-Individual cards have been errata'd and re-errata'ed to have different functionality, meaning that some old cards don't even do what they say they do on the physical card.

Just FYI.

Yup.

Looks accurate. Read what I wrote again.

All of those changes you mentioned happened along with editions and entire rule-set proceedings. So to speak.

They didn't happen in the middle of an event where people are getting points and participating in tournaments and getting rewards.

They had a better notion of sportsmanship than that.

There's a certain level of respect afforded to players -- it involves a certain level of separation. Not changing things "mid-swing."

Notice I'm only asking about things like this because the race is 4 months long.

Not two years, three years, thirty years, or three minutes. Four months. As I said earlier -- an interesting time-frame.

(for instance, your first example, something being changed at the BEGINNING of a NEW EDITION, was something I specifically pointed out as being good...=) )
Last edited by HopTortoise on May 13, 2013, 1:07:19 AM
"
HopTortoise wrote:
Four months. As I said earlier -- an interesting time-frame.

I agree. I'd prefer something a bit longer, but I'm thinking the reason for 4 months is that it lines up nicely with GGG's planned 1.0 release.

And I'd be very surprised if GGG didn't address some of the finer details you've asked about when they officially announce these new leagues. I don't think it will be their intention to let a percentage of their player-base take part in a 4 month league without a more detailed explanation as to what will and will not be happening to those leagues during that time.

I guess we wait. Myself, excitedly.
IGN Astramor
"
It's true. If you want to play self-found, you can do it on default and it'll be literally exactly the same as if you were on a separate league on your own. Explain how it wouldn't?

It would lack two things: competitive recognition and supported community. There would be no way for self-found players to compete with other self-found players -- or with anyone, due to their self-imposed handicap; and there would be no forum or channel for those players. Your logic could apply to hardcore as well; why don't people just play default and delete their character if it dies once? Because it isn't interesting if the game mode isn't supported by the game itself, and players want a sense of equality amongst themselves rather than self-imposed penalties and disadvantages that they can't even prove they've adhered to.

Quite a lot of players have been asking for a self-found league for a very long time now, and one of the big selling points of PoE was that they'd cater to these needs that were never catered to in other games. Specialized leagues are one of the appeals of this game. A self-found league is the perfect place for people who don't like how the economy works or whose friends don't play the game, something that would otherwise render them utterly incapable of competing with the mainstream players.

There currently is no venue for long-term competition in PoE if you don't have a crew of friends with whom to steamroll maps, and a stash full of valuables that are nearly impossible to get for anyone who hasn't been here from the start. A self-found league provides the kind of equality and purity of competition that can't be found anywhere else. You know for certain that any given player has made their own luck, has found all their equipment and leveled all their characters the hard way. Anyone can show their accomplishments and be believed when they say "I did this." That's why there are long threads and online petitions with thousands of people asking for a self-found league, and it's a little selfish to oppose this just because you don't personally care for solo play.
"
HopTortoise wrote:

Notice I'm only asking about things like this because the race is 4 months long.

Race..? Who said anything about a race?

I asked about permanent NON-RACE leagues, and Chris responded that there would be 2 such leagues within the span of a month.

You're tripping bro. Whether there'd be rewards or not for participating in them has never been stated. We don't even know the nature or rules of the leagues, and you're already complaining about hypothetical changes to them that disrupt the "racing balance"?

The heck..?

EDIT: Well said to the guy above me.
IGN: NoahsArChen

"Oh awesome, this guy posted his current gear. Let me find him an upgrade!" ~Said no one ever.
Last edited by SaintSoLo on May 13, 2013, 1:52:21 AM
"
HopTortoise wrote:
All of those changes you mentioned happened along with editions and entire rule-set proceedings. So to speak.

They didn't happen in the middle of an event where people are getting points and participating in tournaments and getting rewards.

I admit I had some trouble properly interpreting that first post...

Y'know, the Magic: the Gathering release schedule actually shares some interesting similarities with ours:

-Every 3-4 months, a new edition of cards is released. This is a regular content "patch" to the overall game, similar to our weekly(ish) patches.

-They have short-term events such as Prereleases and individual tournaments, Grand Prix, PTQ, etc. similar to how we have 1-3 hour races.

-They have have long-term events, too: the Pro Tour. Professional Magic players accumulate season points by competing in as many high-level events as they can to earn points over the course of a year. This is very similar to our race seasons.

But WotC does release new Magic expansions (and sometimes rule changes) during the Pro Tour. Pro Magic players have to be able to handle their deck getting nerfed if a card gets banned from Standard, to adapt when powerful new cards enter the current pool. With each new expansion, some decks get buffed, some get nerfed, and often entirely new decks with new strategies will emerge. Sometimes, existing decks will become completely useless in the professional arena.

Sound familiar?

The best deck from 10 years ago (or even 1 year ago!) isn't the best deck now. And the same is true for character builds in Path of Exile. Behold the meta-game: the game that surrounds the game, where people compete to stay on top of a continuously shifting landscape, discovering new builds and strategies, new synergies and combos, new ways to make old things work, and so on.

Sure, this resonates more with PvP in an ARPG, but the basic principle still holds for the rest of the game, too.

WotC releases a new expansion of several hundred cards every few months, which makes quite an impact on the metagame all at once, whereas we release a few new skills/supports, a few new Uniques here and there. Of course, we still do larger content patches every so often in addition to the weeklies.

I envy how WotC can plan their expansions so far in advance, thus ensuring a regular "patch schedule"...
Code warrior
"
SaintSoLo wrote:
"
HopTortoise wrote:

Race..? Who said anything about a race?

I asked about permanent NON-RACE leagues, and Chris responded that there would be 2 such leagues within the span of a month.

You're tripping bro. Whether there'd be rewards or not for participating in them has never been stated. We don't even know the nature or rules of the leagues, and you're already complaining about hypothetical changes to them that disrupt the "racing balance"

What type of crazy are you..?

EDIT: Well said to the guy above me.

Always look for the most eager to insult if you want to find the one with the weakest argument.
Last edited by Jakabov on May 13, 2013, 1:51:44 AM
I didn't even mean it as an insult in a malicious way.. It's just like "woah that was a crazy assumption you pulled out of nowhere"

I edited it if it makes you feel better.
IGN: NoahsArChen

"Oh awesome, this guy posted his current gear. Let me find him an upgrade!" ~Said no one ever.
"
Rhys wrote:
"
HopTortoise wrote:

I admit I had some trouble properly interpreting that first post...

Y'know, the Magic: the Gathering release schedule actually shares some interesting similarities with ours:

-Every 3-4 months, a new edition of cards is released. This is a regular content "patch" to the overall game, similar to our weekly(ish) patches.

-They have short-term events such as Prereleases and individual tournaments, Grand Prix, PTQ, etc. similar to how we have 1-3 hour races.

-They have have long-term events, too: the Pro Tour. Professional Magic players accumulate season points by competing in as many high-level events as they can to earn points over the course of a year. This is very similar to our race seasons.

But WotC does release new Magic expansions (and sometimes rule changes) during the Pro Tour. Pro Magic players have to be able to handle their deck getting nerfed if a card gets banned from Standard, to adapt when powerful new cards enter the current pool. With each new expansion, some decks get buffed, some get nerfed, and often entirely new decks with new strategies will emerge. Sometimes, existing decks will become completely useless in the professional arena.

Sound familiar?

The best deck from 10 years ago (or even 1 year ago!) isn't the best deck now. And the same is true for character builds in Path of Exile. Behold the meta-game: the game that surrounds the game, where people compete to stay on top of a continuously shifting landscape, discovering new builds and strategies, new synergies and combos, new ways to make old things work, and so on.

Sure, this resonates more with PvP in an ARPG, but the basic principle still holds for the rest of the game, too.

WotC releases a new expansion of several hundred cards every few months, which makes quite an impact on the metagame all at once, whereas we release a few new skills/supports, a few new Uniques here and there. Of course, we still do larger content patches every so often in addition to the weeklies.

I envy how WotC can plan their expansions so far in advance, thus ensuring a regular "patch schedule"...

You seem to be focusing on standard a lot, which a lot of people never bothered with.

So no, a lot of this does NOT sound familiar to me.

I am NOT used to having my tactics be nerfed, changed, or otherwise altered in any way shape or form DURING a tournament.

If such a thing was allowed, you can be sure that you won't see me in said tournament.

edit: also, the rule changes that happen are generally in regards to EMERGENCIES.

not like: hey, lets add the "+increases light radius" card to the deck in the middle of the tournament.

that way anybody new who shows up and wants to buy some booster packs...well, they get shittier cards on average than the people who were around longer. WHAT? lol.

yeah, maybe after a whole new EDITION...again...

spontaneous rule changes in the middle of a tournament were more like: HOOOLLY SHIT somebody broke the game we better fix this or its not gonna be pretty
Last edited by HopTortoise on May 13, 2013, 2:09:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info