PoE 1.0 Beta/Alpha availability

"
DoubleU wrote:
"
WTF is...Path of Exile Beta?

I miss TotalBiscuit.

We Aussies are very wary of glorifying or vindicating people posthumously (we have a song or two about it, the best being "The Eulogy Song" in which "even pricks turn into top blokes after death") but I think on balance he did more good than bad for games and gamers. Which is tbafh not something I feel comfy saying about anyone with a webcam, an ego and an income derived from the exploitative intersection of the two.

So I don't miss him but I think GGG could have done better acknowledging his impact on the game when he passed.

DS44: Ambitious and passionate is a form of "good". If anything PoE proved that it's a form of good that attracts a certain type of gamer and supporter (for which we have quite a few words, not many of them flattering). In that respect early PoE was very good indeed. It was exactly the sort of good it needed to be.

Problem, if a problem it is, is that when you have that much potential and that much posibility and you sell both, there is all the more room for disagreement on what sort of end product such potential should fertilise. Shit this is veering into a gardening metaphor. Nope. Not today.

Anyway it was good. It was brilliant. Then it grew up and became a much more self-deter... No NO CHILDREN METAPHORS EITHER.

fuck it. Its always been a good game one way or another. Not a good game for me anymore. Incontrovertible facts both. The rest I will leave to younger, angrier bones than mine.

Poor OP really had no idea what was going to happen to their thread. Otoh they got their answer pretty early.

Dont go chasing waterfAaaaerrggfhno!

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 15, 2024, 9:14:05 PM
Probaboly not.
☼ Unlock Sandwraith Map mod Tracker Thread #3461595
☼ Remove Deli Music Option #3450767
☼ Improve Beastiery Window beast/trading Management #3380585
☼ Add option to upgrade regular tabs to quads from store #3452458
☼ Buying Veiled Scarabs On Standard 2c Per 24/7 #3508339
"
xjjanie wrote:
Highly unlikely, more likely impossible.
Not impossible. I did some quick research and you can still find all the content or straight up old clients online. Writing an emulator would be possible, given someone is willing to invest the time or has access to the knowledge required.

It however is indeed highly unlikely for someone or a group of people to actually commit to such an insane task.
Last edited by Ulsarek on Mar 17, 2024, 3:39:48 AM
"
"
xjjanie wrote:
Not impossible. I did some quick research and you can still find all the content or straight up old clients online. Writing an emulator would be possible, given someone is willing to invest the time or has access to the knowledge required.

It however is indeed highly unlikely for someone or a group of people to actually commit to such an insane task.

You'd have to have access to the server code, though. The client doesn't do much. Install it and it'll probably either fail completely or just get patched to the most recent version.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
"
"
xjjanie wrote:

You'd have to have access to the server code, though. The client doesn't do much. Install it and it'll probably either fail completely or just get patched to the most recent version.
You don't need any server code to write a emulator. That's the fun of it, reverse engineering can go a long way. Though credit where credit is due, PoE handles a metric fuckton of things serverside and it would be a absolute behemoth of a task. Still. not entirely impossible. This is why we have private servers of most mmorpg's these days - it just needs someone, or a group of people, to pick something up and work on it. PoE wouldn't be an exception.
This sounds good to me. An offline client would be amazing.
I often ruminate over the leagues I've missed and wished there was a way to experience not just the mechanics but THE LORE how it was originally told. Would have killed to experience Synthesis, or the introduction of Shaper to the game among others. I'll settle for a remaster of the BETA, though. Lol
At first I thought this was a weird thread but actually this sounds pretty cool. Would love to see how hard the game was and how far things have come since its inception

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info