GGG. I bet you Affliction has the highest player retention since 3.10,3.11 and maybe 3.17

"
auspexa wrote:

why is this league generally praised? because even the most casual person can make some cash and can afford good stuff such as perfect rares and chase uniques. then why aren't we playing games where that's a natural thing and you don't need to rely on temporary mechanics or unintended interactions to get good gear?

Becuase this would end the experience far too quickly for most. The rate of acquisition of gear in non-SSF is okay: its SSF that is TERRIBLE because it is ALSO based around being able to trade....when you can't.

Last Epoch really hasn't gotten it right either yet. I played for 2 months, maxed out 2 characters (and I mean FULLY maxed out), and there is...no reason to play anymore. There are no more goals to achieve. It was basically a straight improvement path the entire way, never really had to tweak a single thing.

I've been playing PoE for 12 years and I've maybe successfully crafted my own mirror gear twice? And I've only ever MAXED out maybe 3 total characters across thousands. So there was ALWAYS a reason for me to keep coming back, on new characters as well as old.

All that said, GGG doesn't have it in the right place yet...I think there are many item-based improvements to be made, but they need to be made VERY carefully, lest we go back to OG Harvest perfectgearfest.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jan 18, 2024, 7:54:11 PM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
"
auspexa wrote:

why is this league generally praised? because even the most casual person can make some cash and can afford good stuff such as perfect rares and chase uniques. then why aren't we playing games where that's a natural thing and you don't need to rely on temporary mechanics or unintended interactions to get good gear?

Becuase this would end the experience far too quickly for most. The rate of acquisition of gear in non-SSF is okay: its SSF that is TERRIBLE because it is ALSO based around being able to trade....when you can't.

Last Epoch really hasn't gotten it right either yet. I played for 2 months, maxed out 2 characters (and I mean FULLY maxed out), and there is...no reason to play anymore. There are no more goals to achieve.

I've been playing PoE for 12 years and I've maybe successfully crafted my own mirror gear twice? And I've only ever MAXED out maybe 3 total characters across thousands. So there was ALWAYS a reason for me to keep coming back, on new characters as well as old.

All that said, GGG doesn't have it in the right place yet...I think there are many item-based improvements to be made, but they need to be made VERY carefully, lest we go back to OG Harvest perfectgearfest.

minmaxing your build beyond a certain point has no real meaning in path of exile though, and that's not the strongest selling point of path of exile for me. it's the sheer number of builds and unique items that can be turned into a unique build, which then are turned into "problems" that need to be overcome with careful planning and minmaxing. after all, killing an uber boss in 10 seconds instead of 12 seconds isn't really going to change anything for me.

I agree that this aspect of path of exile doesn't exist in other action rpgs, but this aspect has been diminished by ggg's design choices over the years, because they're simply bad at balancing the game around softcore trade. maybe I think that way because I'm already a veteran and I've already played shit ton of builds, but I can't help the feeling. as I said, hc/hcssf could be fine but they have their own problems and hc will continue to be a joke until DD is removed from the game. after this league, I've completely lost my interest in this game's softcore mode, but hc is sadly unplayable.

last epoch has leaderboards at least, which on its own is a big reason to continue playing and improving your build, and 1.0 will bring a lot to the table
Last edited by auspexa on Jan 18, 2024, 7:55:12 PM
^except you said the exact opposite of that in your last post!

You said why aren't we seeking out games where the best loot is readily available, because that is why this current league is "great"....but then you just said oh but its NOT the loot that makes PoE great. So which is it?

I very much agree with your last post, but I mostly disagree with two posts ago...you are basically offering two totally opposing viewpoints.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jan 18, 2024, 7:58:27 PM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
^except you said the exact opposite of that in your last post!

You said why aren't we seeking out games where the best loot is readily available, because that is why this current league is "great"....but then you just said oh but its NOT the loot that makes PoE great. So which is it?

I very much agree with your last post, but I mostly disagree with two posts ago...you are basically offering two totally opposing viewpoints.

I was speaking from other people's perspective, most people think that this league is great because everything is accessible, but for me this makes the game significantly worse. poe is a loot based game where you're constantly trying to minmax your build to overcome the most difficult challenges the game offers, while last epoch and diablo 3 are competition based games where loot is generally easy to obtain and you're competing with other people for the leaderboards. it wouldn't make sense if minmaxing a build in last epoch was as difficult as it is in this game, because when it comes to minmaxing a build in poe, the sky is literally the limit with all the synth gear, mirror tier items and stuff.

what I asked is, if people like this league because loot and good items are this accessible for everyone, why aren't they playing a game like last epoch in the first place? the next league won't be like this league for sure, and people will start complaining about being poor and not being able to afford the things they need for endgame content. we'll witness the post-harvest depression once again.

as I said, the strongest selling point of path of exile for me is the number of things you can do when it comes to making a build from scratch, and this is exactly why I've never played a meta build, but poe.ninja makes it seem like this isn't the case for most people anyway, the large majority of builds seem to be copy pasted. and this aspect of poe is becoming weaker and weaker for softcore trade as time passes because of ggg's choices when it comes to design and balance.
Last edited by auspexa on Jan 18, 2024, 8:21:16 PM
"
auspexa wrote:
meanwhile it's the league that probably made me quit poe 1 for good. playing ssfhc in last epoch made me realize that softcore of this game has become a joke over the years and is no longer fun. I've never played ssf in poe, because it's boring, and every time I played hc in poe, I died to some random shit or a crash. on the other hand, going ssfhc on a blind playthrough worked perfectly fine in last epoch. it also worked in grim dawn when I played it and it was hella fun.

people are basically praising GGG for providing a solution, to a problem that's created by GGG in the first place. there won't be a league like this in the near future where everything is accessible by everyone, and if that's what people want to see, just move on to other games where things are inherently easily accessible

It seems to me that you are confused in what you are saying. When you say " ", should I remind you what happened on the following leagues Heist? Harvest? Legion? Blight? Delirium? Ultimatum? breach? Expedition? Although I understand, among other things, that among these leagues, not all were as juicy as the current one; but they had nothing to envy either. So the question is, why do people salute GGG for this league? The answer is rather simple, it’s not that easy in solo hight juice maping, it’s a lot ( really much ) more fun than a league, for example huh, where you fight with towers that spawn mobs. Among the most acclaimed leagues, they are almost all leagues mapping, Some were exceptions like heist, but it remained a certain content outside the so-called classic maps; but which strongly resembled it, with mechanics specific to itself. Especially as another factor currently plays, it is the amount of veteran in the game, the more you advance and the more there are, the more you advance in time and the more there are tutorials, site and other that accelerate the rise in power of new players. Poe currently is quite complicated so that those who have 2 of IQ have trouble, like those who are veteran and yet, bite their tongue at the level of changes during the patches and must therefore trample their mind, to restart their heart build ( hello my CoC ice nova ).

Personally, I salute GGG for leaving this "juice mapping problem" and also for having managed to make a juicy league mechanics while being not so simple even by putting mirrors in 5 different builds ( things I did, and the only one that juice mapping perfectly, for not too expensive, is the self ignite chieftain, and I would have understood if GGG had it nerf). It’s been a long time since I’ve seen so much activity on the trade...

This being only my opinion, hoping not to have offended your opinion, I respect it, although I disagree.
"
Trymax wrote:

It seems to me that you are confused in what you are saying. When you say " ", should I remind you what happened on the following leagues Heist? Harvest? Legion? Blight? Delirium? Ultimatum? breach? Expedition? Although I understand, among other things, that among these leagues, not all were as juicy as the current one; but they had nothing to envy either. So the question is, why do people salute GGG for this league? The answer is rather simple, it’s not that easy in solo hight juice maping, it’s a lot ( really much ) more fun than a league, for example huh, where you fight with towers that spawn mobs. Among the most acclaimed leagues, they are almost all leagues mapping, Some were exceptions like heist, but it remained a certain content outside the so-called classic maps; but which strongly resembled it, with mechanics specific to itself. Especially as another factor currently plays, it is the amount of veteran in the game, the more you advance and the more there are, the more you advance in time and the more there are tutorials, site and other that accelerate the rise in power of new players. Poe currently is quite complicated so that those who have 2 of IQ have trouble, like those who are veteran and yet, bite their tongue at the level of changes during the patches and must therefore trample their mind, to restart their heart build ( hello my CoC ice nova ).

Personally, I salute GGG for leaving this "juice mapping problem" and also for having managed to make a juicy league mechanics while being not so simple even by putting mirrors in 5 different builds ( things I did, and the only one that juice mapping perfectly, for not too expensive, is the self ignite chieftain, and I would have understood if GGG had it nerf). It’s been a long time since I’ve seen so much activity on the trade...

This being only my opinion, hoping not to have offended your opinion, I respect it, although I disagree.

these would not really apply to me, because I almost never interact with league mechanics outside challenges (except mapping leagues), and I never play the same build more than once anyway. it's the fresh economy and balance changes that attract me when a new league is released. I hated kalandra league mechanic, but it's probably my most played league.

I agree to a certain extent still, the league mechanic is great for everybody, and is most likely the reason why retention is exceptionally high. everyone who plays poe enjoys mapping, and it's a pure mapping league
Last edited by auspexa on Jan 18, 2024, 8:49:59 PM
"
Timbo Zero wrote:

I agree, but they have to learn to find a middle ground

I disagree. The whole point of temporary leagues/ladders, is to create diversity and variety. It's totall OK for some leagues to throw currency your way (Affliction) and for others to be more "grounded". I fear that if they "find a middle ground", some of this diversity and variety disappears.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Pizzarugi wrote:
MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on juice. I am not so foolish.

There will be a poverty league coming up next. According to what I was told, from a recent interview, the devs who attended regret their decision making this league as lucrative as it is. If anyone was smart, they would minimize their time engaging with this mechanic so they will be better prepared for next league.

That's what I did. I avoided Affliction and wisp juicing as much as possible. My currency came instead from making Incursion temples, opening strongboxes, and Harvest. I may not be rich, but I am mentally grounded for next league and won't be devastated when Affliction goes away.

And make no mistake, nothing from this is going core with the exception of maybe the uniques.

The devs don't regret making the mechanic lucrative, they regret making it lucrative at low levels. The returns people are getting from gigajuicing the content is absolutely what they wanted to see at T16+ maps, where there is a TREMENDOUS degree in difficulty associated with dumping 8k wisp juice into a map.

The part the devs don't like is seeing people farming T7 maps because the reward scales independently of difficulty and doesn't encourage players to push harder content.

So while I expect next league to be perceived by many of the louder, less-proficient members of the community (i.e., Reddit) as a dead loot poverty league, what I think will actually happen is harder gating of rewarding content into higher tier maps. And that's fine! Anyone else remember Harbor Bridge farming in Betrayal league? It was a cancer meta that directly led to GGG making the much-needed change of disabling league mechanics in non-map areas to players who passed level 75, which was a change which absolutely needed to happen.

This league is just the next Betrayal, which only highlit a problem which has been around for a long time.
Last edited by ARealLifeCaribbeanPirate on Jan 19, 2024, 3:48:10 AM
"
auspexa wrote:
meanwhile it's the league that probably made me quit poe 1 for good. playing ssfhc in last epoch made me realize that softcore of this game has become a joke over the years and is no longer fun. I've never played ssf in poe, because it's boring, and every time I played hc in poe, I died to some random shit or a crash. on the other hand, going ssfhc on a blind playthrough worked perfectly fine in last epoch. it also worked in grim dawn when I played it and it was hella fun.

people are basically praising GGG for providing a solution, to a problem that's created by GGG in the first place. there won't be a league like this in the near future where everything is accessible by everyone, and if that's what people want to see, just move on to other games where things are inherently easily accessible

This league is too much I agree, looking for middle ground between this leagues excessive drops and most leagues near nothing drops (at least last 12-18 months have been)

Didn't get one with Grim Dawn ( not a criticism just a personal thing)
I wish Last Epoch would finally reach consoles.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Timbo Zero wrote:

I agree, but they have to learn to find a middle ground

I disagree. The whole point of temporary leagues/ladders is to create diversity and variety. It's totally OK for some leagues to throw currency your way (Affliction) and for others to be more "grounded". I fear that if they "find a middle ground", some of this diversity and variety disappears.

I see your point but disagree, assuming you mean what I understand you to mean.

By middle ground I am d not referring to currency printing, I am referring to all content (loot leagues, current leagues, this MF league etc).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info