How is GGG doing financially

"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Well Tecent would certainly at least try to monetize differently, and could toss money at former GGG folks to remain in the design space. It would just be under different leadership at that point.

It's still a valuable asset.

While I am against direct p2w, those currency-picking pets they have on chinese version now are really needed here. Compared to D2 which GGG idolizes so much, we have to pick dozens of types of currency, and with much faster combat/movement pace D2 ever had.

Wish GGG would stop with their double standards about being a "spiritual successor to D2". Only things from D2 left by now are archaic mechanics like wisdom scrolls, which imho only detract from the game. With some builds you do more clicking sitting in hideout, than during combat.
Dude. Auto-pickup is just good QoL now for any game that drops significant amounts of loot per kill. I appreciate that PoE caters to those who disagree but when its own domestic version has a form of it, and when your playerbase certainly isn't getting any younger, maybe it's worth considering. Many are the attractions of PoE as its own thing within even so cramped a genre as Diablo derivative, but I don't think having to interrupt the action to pore over a mess of item names every ten seconds is one of them. Take the GOOD from Diablo and leave the BAD behind -- they figured some of this out (eg dumping stamina, making currency meaningful) but kept so much else that is patently antiquated in the name of "authenticity".

I made "authentic" ragu the other night. It was really boring. Why? Because traditionally ragu was made without garlic. Why? Because they didn't have garlic in that region.

I will never make "authentic" ragu again.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Echothesis wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Well Tecent would certainly at least try to monetize differently, and could toss money at former GGG folks to remain in the design space. It would just be under different leadership at that point.

It's still a valuable asset.

While I am against direct p2w, those currency-picking pets they have on chinese version now are really needed here. Compared to D2 which GGG idolizes so much, we have to pick dozens of types of currency, and with much faster combat/movement pace D2 ever had.

Wish GGG would stop with their double standards about being a "spiritual successor to D2". Only things from D2 left by now are archaic mechanics like wisdom scrolls, which imho only detract from the game. With some builds you do more clicking sitting in hideout, than during combat.

or we can start with something even simpler:

how about not pricing full skin sets to be over $100 :|

i mean it can unironically cost over $1k if this skin set can only be obtained from lootboxes but even the usual shit on the shop is so laughably priced i dont even..
@Foreverhappychan
Sir, please, think of the VisionTM.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
@Foreverhappychan
Sir, please, think of the VisionTM.

Fun fact: the VisionTM used to include not using floating life bars. I agreed wholeheartedly -- until GGG left them on during an alpha test. I told Chris I was wrong and they really improved the game, and while I am sure I was far from the sole sceptic to be swayed, I was glad to see the experimental feature go live with the next update.

So ironically, GGG were more flexible and open-minded back when the game was chronologically closer to Diablo 2. Which tells me that VisionTM is less visionary and more just plain old stubbornness and laziness. A plan is not a vision when it's stuck in the past.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 7, 2023, 7:08:11 PM
"
Xyel wrote:
"
A: I would point out one: cash from customers was down 17% in 2021 YoY, and then further down 27% in 2022 YoY.

I need to save this for the next time someone comes around arguing that player retention has no financial impact. That's almost a 40 % revenue drop in 2 years.

Year 2020 was prob the most profitable year for gaming industry due to covid lockdowns, don't forget that.

Year 2022 was prob the most flaccid year of PoE league wise that's true, also 2022 is when the recession kicked in so people spent less $ on non essential stuff.
"
Dude. Auto-pickup is just good QoL now for any game that drops significant amounts of loot per kill. I appreciate that PoE caters to those who disagree but when its own domestic version has a form of it, and when your playerbase certainly isn't getting any younger, maybe it's worth considering. Many are the attractions of PoE as its own thing within even so cramped a genre as Diablo derivative, but I don't think having to interrupt the action to pore over a mess of item names every ten seconds is one of them. Take the GOOD from Diablo and leave the BAD behind -- they figured some of this out (eg dumping stamina, making currency meaningful) but kept so much else that is patently antiquated in the name of "authenticity".

I made "authentic" ragu the other night. It was really boring. Why? Because traditionally ragu was made without garlic. Why? Because they didn't have garlic in that region.

I will never make "authentic" ragu again.

Played Last Epoch last weeked for a bit, feels like mobile game. Feels hollow at least to me.
"
So ironically, GGG were more flexible and open-minded back when the game was chronologically closer to Diablo 2. Which tells me that VisionTM is less visionary and more just plain old stubbornness and laziness. A plan is not a vision when it's stuck in the past.

I wonder, is GGG getting more stubborn because of the players or players are getting more stubborn because of GGG. Discussing with some people is down right insufferable, that PoE "can't change" when in reality the time frame is so large and changes have been made so often, 3.0 can't even be compared to 1.0, and in itself, older 3.0 can't even be compared to recent 3.0 either. Hell, War of the Atlas, Conqueror of the Atlas and Siege of the Atlas, all major differences in how gameplay affected the game, and some people still have the balls to say "PoE can't change".

I just wish that flexibility and willingness to make a game everyone can enjoy could still be there, instead of the uphill battle any topic is today, be it against people that "don't want PoE to change" or GGG themselves.
"
Played Last Epoch last weeked for a bit, feels like mobile game. Feels hollow at least to me.

Last Epoch is basically a 2.0 PoE era (warband, Tempest, Talisman). It has maps, a boss comparable to Shaper and that's about it. It's comprehensible it would feel that way.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
Last edited by AdRonZh3Ro on Mar 7, 2023, 8:42:17 PM
yello Charan, you forgetting that uato pickup would make things easier for bots, and on top of that would make further inflation of the in game market. with the current drop rates I think its ok if you click to pick up. if can't be bothered than filter the drops out.

-cheers
and imagine what their finances will look like after POE2/POE mobile are finally revealed in a few months and then upon their release. Safe to say they can immediately start working on POE3 for a 2030 release which I assume will be added to POE1 and POE2.
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info