How is GGG doing financially

Using the word “assume” in a financial breakdown really isn’t how the industry works, just saying.
"

Q#4: Any concerns observed?
A: I would point out one: cash from customers was down 17% in 2021 YoY, and then further down 27% in 2022 YoY. This suggests customers have been spending less on mtx at an increasing pace, however, the cash realized in 2022 was still well in excess of what their normal day-to-day operations required.

So 2022 is 40% down from 2020 overall?

I mean, losing nearly half your income doesn't seem insanely strong to me. I guess it means they were doing so well in 2020 they could afford some losses.

Harvest nerf beginning of 2021 followed by support gem nerf is an interesting time factor, but not really conclusive.

Could be general lack of new content. I know they made new bosses sort of, but compare it to the size of adding the entire Atlas. They would have to add a whole new system post-atlas to maintain content, and then are you really going to do that every league?

Interesting, thanks for the post and the info.
"
trixxar wrote:
"

Q#4: Any concerns observed?
A: I would point out one: cash from customers was down 17% in 2021 YoY, and then further down 27% in 2022 YoY. This suggests customers have been spending less on mtx at an increasing pace, however, the cash realized in 2022 was still well in excess of what their normal day-to-day operations required.

So 2022 is 40% down from 2020 overall?

I mean, losing nearly half your income doesn't seem insanely strong to me. I guess it means they were doing so well in 2020 they could afford some losses.

Harvest nerf beginning of 2021 followed by support gem nerf is an interesting time factor, but not really conclusive.

Could be general lack of new content. I know they made new bosses sort of, but compare it to the size of adding the entire Atlas. They would have to add a whole new system post-atlas to maintain content, and then are you really going to do that every league?

Interesting, thanks for the post and the info.

Also, 2020 was a time of significant expansion for several industries and people had a lot of time on their hands to game. There are a lot of factors to take into account and it's hard to really know what is causal and what is correlation without internal insights.

Source: I work in an industry that expanded rapidly during the pandemic and is now seeing massive layoffs from that upsizing as the marketspace retracts from that high.
Last edited by Nubatron on Mar 3, 2023, 4:36:57 PM
"
JoeUtopia wrote:
Using the word “assume” in a financial breakdown really isn’t how the industry works, just saying.

Depends on the industry. For example, business consultants and financial analysts have to make assumptions all the time. But let's not digress.
"
Nubatron wrote:

Also, 2020 was a time of significant expansion for several industries and people had a lot of time on their hands to game. There are a lot of factors to take into account and it's hard to really know what is causal and what is correlation without internal insights.

Source: I work in an industry that expanded rapidly during the pandemic and is now seeing massive layoffs from that upsizing as the marketspace retracts from that high.

Agreed.

Its easy to say "the game is going downhill because its not going the way I want" when more than likely external factors and game dev cycle is more responsible, not to mention competition.

"
trixxar wrote:

I do understand what you mean, however, since the wording you're using (income/losses) might be confusing to some people, I'm just going to clarify that:
- GGG's 2022 net income was $49M, which was only 10% down vs. 2020 (Net Income is not the same as cash received from customers)
- they did not have net losses between 2020 and 2022

None of the above is really relevant to my original post, as it focuses more on cash flows and fin. position (balance sheet).
"

Short answer: PoE2 was indeed factored in.

(Quote cut for size).

Thanks! I was aware there are ways to 'hide' the finanaces of stuff like Xpacks, done for all sorts of reasons (above and below board). So thanks for the added clarity.
Have you considered Chris' statements on Baeclast #75 before writing this?

Starting a little early for context:

https://youtu.be/88N4s2qxRIM?t=5039

More specific to this thread (its only a couple minutes after the first):

https://youtu.be/88N4s2qxRIM?t=5172

Out of curiosity, I looked up the revenue for past years.

2018: 72.4 mil
2019: 99.2 mil
2020: 113.4 mil
2021: 104.9 mil
2022: 83.7 mil

2018 Blizzcon netted GGG more money than covid.

It's interesting how tied up PoE is to Diablo. The disappointing D:I announcement led to a massive influx of players to PoE.

Now, D4 is coming. If it's great, then it might drain players from PoE like nothing else.

But if D4 endgame turns out to be bad, then 3.22 will be the biggest league in PoE's history.
Last edited by Xyel on Mar 4, 2023, 2:01:25 AM
"
Xyel wrote:
Out of curiosity, I looked up the revenue for past years.

2018: 72.4 mil
2019: 99.2 mil
2020: 113.4 mil
2021: 104.9 mil
2022: 83.7 mil

2018 Blizzcon netted GGG more money than covid.

It's interesting how tied up PoE is to Diablo. The disappointing D:I announcement led to a massive influx of players to PoE.

Now, D4 is coming. If it's great, then it might drain players from PoE like nothing else.

But if D4 endgame turns out to be bad, then 3.22 will be the biggest league in PoE's history.

D4 opens beta in like 3 or 4 weeks so nex league will have a big dip in player numbers

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info