Fire Trap

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Mitch420 wrote:
This skill is pretty fun but I have a question. Increased quantity/rarity supports won't effect this skill will it because the fire damage is a DoT?
They'll apply to anything killed by the initial explosion, but not the burning over time.

I knew you were going to say that :P Let's get this fixed lol

I've been using 3 fire trap skills at the same time, together with a shockwave totem. It really feels like I'm playing an engineer instead of a shadow, throwing grenades and setting up turrets everywhere.

I'm just a little confused on which passives to take to increase the damage output.
I'm curious, can this skill crit?

Since no crit percentage is listed on either the gem nor on the skill summary in the character panel.
I think this skill can crit, but the crit chance isn't listed, I was able to take half the life of the deep dweller with a single trap, normally he tanks three
-Meteoric Destiny!
It would be very useful if the forum moderator would post a short description at the beginning or the thread for each skill. This could include things such as whether it crits, if it counts as a spell, what passive skills effect it, etc. Maybe someone could come up with a standard list of characteristics to use. The information that shows with mouseover of a gem is often very sketchy and inaddequate. It seems like the same questions get asked over and over in the skill forum so why not start the skill thread with some of that oft-repeated information?
Elemental proliferation cannot proliferate the burn caused by this effect.
Not sure if this is fire trap specific, but it happens to me while using it.

upon the level up of this gem all the trap charges get set to zero. Is this intentional? I'd prefer it if they stayed the same.

I waited to level my gem up once i had 3 charges and was dishearted to find that i needed to wait even longer to get them back upon gem level...figured id just see what thats about and if its intentional, then by golly ill deal with it :D
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
I played this trap on a trap-focused Shadow up to the end of Act 1 Normal. At first, it seemed really cool, but I felt like the damage started falling behind really fast. I had a lot of fun planting traps and planning ambushes and whatnot, but starting around the prison I realized that I could clear an area about 3x as fast and die less by just picking up any non-wand weapon and hitting people -- even with no hitting-things skill gem. Overall, being trap-centered felt like being a caster witch but with worse damage and a max 3 casts followed by 1 cast per 10 seconds (or whatever the timer is), but with worse passives -- the witch has mana regen, spell damage, elemental damage all within close range. At the same region of the game, Ice Nova absolutely wipes out groups so much faster and without any effort or danger (at least comperatively). When I remade my Shadow into a defensive-based one-handed dagger fighter, I was killing in one hit most of the monsters in Act 1, even the ones that it had taken 3 fire traps and a bear trap to kill.
"
Serika wrote:
I'm curious, can this skill crit?
Nope. But it's supposed to be able to. This oversight will be fixed soon, same with Bear Trap.
"
PantsMcgee wrote:
I played this trap on a trap-focused Shadow up to the end of Act 1 Normal. At first, it seemed really cool, but I felt like the damage started falling behind really fast. I had a lot of fun planting traps and planning ambushes and whatnot, but starting around the prison I realized that I could clear an area about 3x as fast and die less by just picking up any non-wand weapon and hitting people -- even with no hitting-things skill gem. Overall, being trap-centered felt like being a caster witch but with worse damage and a max 3 casts followed by 1 cast per 10 seconds (or whatever the timer is), but with worse passives -- the witch has mana regen, spell damage, elemental damage all within close range. At the same region of the game, Ice Nova absolutely wipes out groups so much faster and without any effort or danger (at least comperatively). When I remade my Shadow into a defensive-based one-handed dagger fighter, I was killing in one hit most of the monsters in Act 1, even the ones that it had taken 3 fire traps and a bear trap to kill.

Yeah this skill doesn't scale very well at all. I'm mid way through act 1 on the second difficulty and things are starting to stall out pretty bad in terms of dealing with groups. Shadow doesn't have many AoE skills either and I'm hearing people are having better success taking out groups with just flicker strike. I'm wondering if fixing crit chance on trap skills will turn things around but the DoT damage is pre-set and the initial damage is pretty small anyway so I'm skeptical as to whether or not it will make a big impact.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info