Animation Feedback

"
Ari wrote:
hey,

LoJackATK- The 2h attack animtions have been punched up it'll be coming in the new art patch. part of the reason their slowish at the start is a balance thing but i've tried to make the timing less even and exaggerate the anticipation more. the reel back thing is something we've worked on but it's quite hard to implement so it'll probably come in down the line as the animation system gets more sophisticated

Sounds awesome, looking forward to it! :)

I appreciate the direct response too, you guys are so far pretty exemplary throughout this whole beta so far in terms of dev-on-player cooperation. I like it!
No worries, thanks for the thoughtful feedback
animator
In regards to the goatman-leaping animation. Sometimes when you kill them in mid-jump, the character model bugs out and speeds up to where it was going to land. Not sure how you would fix this except maybe making a mid-air death animation or something. Only happens rarely though, so not a big issue.
Just wanted to chip in with a few words about the death/damage animations in general. I know some people have said that the skeletons should fly to bits etc. but personally, I think they are fine and admire the attention to detail there in particular.

The frost/ice effects are nicely done as the targets totally freeze solid or impart a nice sense of slowed movement, exactly what is intended. The instant ice cube shatter animation is also satisfying, especially if you score a one hit crit. One observation regarding the "flying" goat men and ice skills. If you totally freeze them, they remain frozen in mid air. Logically, gravity would take its course and they should plummet to the ground and, hopefully, shatter. Did I mention I really, really dislike these buggers?

The death/corpse explosions are nice, lots of blood and gore. Perhaps nearby mobs could receive a bit of overspray as a result of these violent dismemberments... speaking of which I would be keen to see the introduction of limbs and heads being lopped off and bouncing or rolling about the place. I mean, there is some serious cutlery being waved about the place and the resulting damage should reflect this.

Great work, look forward to more of it.
I used to be apathetic, now I just don't care.
I just got into chapter 2 today and one monster animation stuck out, the Bone Cruncher.

He's really satisfying to hit, the visual feedback is great, the only thing that bothers me is that whenever it is hit, there is a large splash of blood flying outwards and it looks kind of unnatural, that could be improved IMHO.

As Arkwright said, the frost/ice effects are among the best so far, it feels so satysfing to freeze and shatter a group of enemies.

Keep up the great work guys! I'm extremely excited for this game.
The Witch's introductory animation at character creation is rather awkward and doesn't show what the class is capable of doing (she doesn't fly in game).

She floats and twirls around in the air uncharacteristically rather than showing her main skills (ice/fire/lightning spells).

Also her head appears to be a bit large compared to her torso.
"
hydris wrote:
The Witch's introductory animation at character creation is rather awkward and doesn't show what the class is capable of doing (she doesn't fly in game).

She floats and twirls around in the air uncharacteristically rather than showing her main skills (ice/fire/lightning spells).

Also her head appears to be a bit large compared to her torso.

But...It looks so awesome. :) In all seriousness though, you are probably right. I guess GGG shouldn't give the players false hope of flying around as the witch.
thanks for the great feedback,

scyko42,Arkwright, the goat bug has been noted and is on the list to be fixed. limbs being cut off is something that might be added on but not for awhile
hydris- the character selection animations i'm not happy with over all but we're going to have to wait to get a rig overhaul before getting a chance to improve them. the witch one specifically is tricky because it's kind of hard to to convey 'magicalness' without effects etc.

thanks again for the encouragement and feedback
animator
Last edited by Ari on Sep 30, 2011, 5:16:54 PM
"
Starzon29 wrote:
More varaitions of death animation please, maybe you can cut some monster head or arms or body =))

would be cool if the monster fall down in the water if i hit strong , when i staying on a small bridge =)..

Would be cool if the skeletons bones flying around if you hit fast or strong =)..

Yep this summed up what I wanted to add to this discussion. The death animations need to be amped up! When you hit the little skelly bones they should fall apart. Depending on the hit... fly apart! When I hear the word "visceral" it takes a more brutal tone to me. Bones breaking, flesh mangled, limbs lost. I don't believe every death needs to be epic but when I hit hard they need to go down hard! So far I've never cried out "RAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW" when I eviscerated a mob!
Alright, I haven't been playing this game that long, but there's something in the way enemies die, that really bugs me. I'm using a ranger with a bow, working my way through the game and most of the time it feels so fake, when an enemy dies. It took me a while, I don't know why, to see it, but I finally got it. Every time you hit an enemy it plays a "hit animation", if you will. Problem is even when you kill an enemy it still plays that "hit animation" before the death animation kicks in. That may sound logical, but what this does is cut the fluidity of the whole sequence - I shoot something, it drops dead. Instead it looks like a movie with bad acting, when a guy plays getting hit, but forgets that he was supposed to fall with the hit. I don't understand much of these things, but I hope you understand what I meant. I'm not saying death animations are bad, actually they're pretty good. it's just that "hit" animation shouldn't play or it should be replaced with another when it's a killing blow, or just made quicker/shorter or whatever. By the way, I don't really like the hit animation itself, feels kind of clunky.
"Rock is Overpowered. Paper is fine."
- Scissors.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info