Crafting system

Reading all this stuff about crafting brings back memories of playing monster hunter and runescape, spending hours mining a few rocks in some mine, or days farming a single monster to continuously carve for materials. Yeah crafting system would be great, but it should be properly developed and in-depth, none of this "Combine two iron to make a sword!" or "Combine 2 herbs to make a potion!" I just think if there was a system like implemented it should be done right or it will just feel like a big waste.
Not that this game needs to emulate Diablo 3, as I am pretty sure that it isn't will be much of the reason many of us play this game, but what about something LIKE this - http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/crafting.xml (LOL @ "phat loot" quote)

Instead of a mob or chest dropping a nice item, they may drop a recipe. You bring it back to a mergent, and they can create the item for you, but you have to collect a bunch of stuff and bring it back to them first (a sort of fetch quest, but of course you have to kill monters to get the stuff).

Maybe, as others have decribed, it requires ingrediants that come from "breaking down" a lot of the trash loot that otherwise is useless. But maybe whether or not an item breaks down to anything usefull at all, or usefull for your particular recipe, is random.

"
BINARYGOD wrote:
Not that this game needs to emulate Diablo 3, as I am pretty sure that it isn't will be much of the reason many of us play this game, but what about something LIKE this - http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/crafting.xml (LOL @ "phat loot" quote)

Instead of a mob or chest dropping a nice item, they may drop a recipe. You bring it back to a mergent, and they can create the item for you, but you have to collect a bunch of stuff and bring it back to them first (a sort of fetch quest, but of course you have to kill monters to get the stuff).

Maybe, as others have decribed, it requires ingrediants that come from "breaking down" a lot of the trash loot that otherwise is useless. But maybe whether or not an item breaks down to anything usefull at all, or usefull for your particular recipe, is random.

I was thinking something along those lines also but when you dismantle an item down it would give you less currency items than selling it to a vendor and also have a chance to break entirely without giving a reward. The better the quality of the item, the better the chance of it breaking down into better currency items. e.g Normal/white items could only be broken down into the lesser currency items (scroll of wisdom/town portal) while a magic or rare item has a slight chance to produce one of the orb currency items (orb of augmentation/transmutation). This would add another lottery aspect to the loot system.
Last edited by bottleflu on Aug 17, 2011, 5:04:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info