Dual Strike

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
if you have two claws of 1% listed on the weapon itself, not the status panel, then you'd have 2% with both duel OR double strike skills (or eve one of your weapons via auto attack). only double strike procs twice giving you effectively 4%. but damage is less via double strike so... kinda even grounds: stronger 2% or weaker 4%.

In your example your only taking into account a small number. For example if my build was based off of dual wielding claws for + leech % such as taking the spirit raker, essence raker, and soul raker. It would be a much larger hit. Sticking with the 1% leech on claws it would be 6% of damage leeched a hit(1%(claw1) +1%(claw2) +1%(spirit) +1%(essence) +2%(soul)). That's only taking into account those 3 skills and the weapons. I'm sure you could get more from other sources.

So...
6% leeched damage
if you do 100 damage for the skill you would leech 6 life
100*.06
12% damage leeched with a 30% hit to damage
if you do 100 damage for the skill you would leech 8.4 life
(100-(100*.3))*.12

Meaning you would be leeching more and maybe doing more damage with more on hit effects.

If dual strike was designed for dual wield characters and double was designed for two-handed weapons and one-handed weapons with shields, maybe it deserves another look for on hit effects.

Edit - 8/2/2012@2:27: for clarification on where I got my numbers from.
Last edited by torick on Aug 2, 2012, 2:27:28 PM
It's a funny situation. I have a claw character level 30ish who uses dual sparkling claws. These give +15 life on hit.

Since the life on hit is a global mod, that gives my character 30 life per attack.

When I use Dual Strike, I hit once and recover 30 health because I get 30 life per attack.

When I use Double Strike, I hit twice and recover 60 health, because I get 30 life per attack.

It's funny because the best option I have for life regen in this scenario is to dual wield, but to use the skill built around not dual wielding.

If the life on attack were a local modifier, then I would get 15 life per attack using double strike, and it would be even. Likewise, if Dual Strike triggered 2 attacks, then it would be better for me than double strike.

As it stands it's just funny because it looks weird going wild with one claw while the other hangs by my side. In practice it means I just attach +lightning damage to my double strike and +item rarity to my dual strike, and use double when I need to worry about health, and dual otherwise.
"
torick wrote:
- snip-
sorry but neither of us was wrong ont he math. i was wrong in the "oh this gives less and this gives more" part. so don't be weird.

the debate that was going on was the mechanics and thanks for explaining the rest of it. game does additive combining like that and it totals everything up for you on the status window. but it doesn't double for duel strike, one hit both weapons it doubles for double strike as there is two hits alternating weapons.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
so don't be weird.

I wasn't trying to be and I'm sorry if I came off like that. I was just trying to make my point clear enough to understand.

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
for double strike as there is two hits alternating weapons.

This is actually untrue. If you look at the Double Strike post. Six posts down there is one by mark.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
It only uses the main hand weapon.
Last edited by torick on Aug 2, 2012, 11:04:18 PM
The range on this skill seems to be too small. I use Cleave in combination with shift (stand still) to kill most of the enemies and when I try to finish of the remaining enemies with Dual Strike (while still holding shift), even monsters which are in the range of the animation won't get hit.

I use this skill with mana leech items and template, never run out of mana, and hit very fast.

Gem recommanded is cold damage from my pov, you can kill target before they have time to strike back.
"
Cendan wrote:
The range on this skill seems to be too small. I use Cleave in combination with shift (stand still) to kill most of the enemies and when I try to finish of the remaining enemies with Dual Strike (while still holding shift), even monsters which are in the range of the animation won't get hit.

It's a single target skill, not a AoE attack like Cleave.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
"
Islidox wrote:
"
Cendan wrote:

It's a single target skill, not a AoE attack like Cleave.

I know that. I meant even if I target a specific mob, which clearly seems to be in range of the animation, Dual Strike won't do any damage if they are just a tiny bit too far away.
One more question.

If 2 weapon hits does the stun threshold calculates the combined damage for better chance to stun or calculates the damage separately (which sucks)?
Each weapon hit is calculated separately, then they're combined into single combined damage package. Since stun is part of damage calculation, this is calculated separately for each weapon, and then the combined hit will stun if either of the hits stuns.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info