Wild Strike

This thread has been quiet for years, did everyone give up? Apparently, yes. While making my second toon (a Wild Strike Raider) and looking for inspiration, I was following the entire 4-5 people who were using wild strike into the late level 90's-100 that show up on PoE Ninja. They are disappearing rapidly as they change to skills that others use that are actually viable. I wanted a Wild Strike build because my first exposure to PoE was a few years ago, with my friend playing Wild Strike. I watched for hours and it looked so very cool and fun. He did not struggle in any way. I wanted to experience this for myself, but apparently I am late and it's been years of neglect and obscurity for this really fun skill. I don't care, I want to try it. We should all be able to try skills like this one, and have fun, and have the ability to craft a powerful build that scales nicely with the right level of investment. Now it's my turn to give it a go, and theory craft on the new tree, and plan for the next league.

Can we address the poor scaling/numbers on this super fun skill? Every time I watch the Announcement stream for the next league, I see pages and pages of spam begging for improvements to Strike Skills. I would love to feel good about investing hard into my alt, and I still plan on doing it to test the builds limits, but from what I can see others already have done this and aren't having results. Watching to the top Wild Strikers this league change their build every single day, throughout the day, is worrisome. I am so glad it is not my main, though with some improvements I think it would be a really fun build to run on a main.

Despite the best gear available and/or high levels of investment, none of the current players at the tippy top tier of the Wild Strike users this league can come close to what the other primary skill gems (i.e. Lightning Strike) were doing DPS-wise. Searching YouTube, I found 1 person sharing their Wild Strike build for 3.16. One very brave, highly invested in gear, very knowledgeable person. Still, just one. Props to you, my guy, you made me stick with it. I found far more vids telling me "not" to do wild strike and to just do basically any other strike instead - and told they are all in a bad place collectively - this this being the worst. Even though I laugh every time I spend exalts on gear and thank the seller for helping me build my "no dps alt", I would really love to see this very fun skill actually have a place to thrive in the game. It's unique, it has a creative design, the animations are so awesome... but it really needs some major love.

In the days since I made my toon and started following the entire 4-5 people, I've watched the remaining active players respec their passive tree nearly daily - or multiple times a day. Literally. We are all over the tree, in desperation. If this was not my alt I would be super sad! Every day the "passive heatmap" fluctuates greatly as the players are desperately seeming to try and make the build work. At least one likes to switch out Wild Strike for other skills when it matters I think, and others have abandoned the skill gem entirely. I can understand why, I just wish it were not so.

The masteries were pretty cool and synergize well with some of the other new masteries on the tree but no one seems to find something that "feels good".

Please think about your really awesome designed skill Wild Strike in future patches, I can't see the logic of putting out primary skill gems like Wild Strike then having them not function in any build in the game. Players have been begging to be able to play the skills they love again, to make fun builds that can actually clear content without mirror-level investments (I'm not saying it should be free but generally with 20-50ex sank into it, your toon should be doing pretty well).

I think some numbers changes and fine tuning could make this skill, and many other beloved skills that got left in the dust over the past couple years, really fun again. There is a reason why this skill appears "unpopular" on the player's usage charts - because currently it is just not good. It's hard to justify using.
Veritania: When was the last time you saw the sun, Exile? The true sun.

Me, if I actually want to succeed at all in any given PoE League:
Last edited by LizzyInATizzy on Nov 28, 2021, 3:30:47 PM
pls Buff Wildstrike and the Hitbox is extrem bad pls fix it . :)
Could you please make Wildstrike pick a different element with Multistrike support so this skill can be competitive?

Trinity and EE don't work with Multistrike so the skill doesn't work.

Thank You!
Feedback on the skill:
Pro's:
- It has a wonderful mechanic you can build around. 6 different builds that can be made (each element, 2 of each element, all 3 elements).
- Each element is different. Lightning arcs and looks amazing. Fire is a large explosion and cold is a projectile, giving a lot of variance.

Con's:
- It's a basic attack with an effect.
- it has a pitiful range, not scaling in any way whatsoever.
- It has no inherent flat damage like other skills which also make it feel terrible.
- It doesn't work well with Multistrike (it doesn't choose individual elements on each attack and the gem avoids choosing same twice, making trinity support difficult),
- It doesn't work well with Trinity support gem (see above reason).
- The Combat Focus gems cut off 50% of other elements, making scaling damage very difficult. This should either be removed completely, or scaled down to 25% of other elements.
- The fire has no clearing potential, and it gets no inherent damage bonuses that make up for it for single-target.

How to remedy it:
- give it scaling attack range. Up to 4 would be good.
- Give it scaling flat damage like other skills. This can easily be element based, or just a flat physical that gets converted regardless.
- Make the fire portion be more unique compared to the others. A larger AoE, a lingering Burn or even a Burning Ground would be very useful.
- Make it work better with Trinity Support by removing the 50% less.
- Give the cold projectile scaling AoE or something else different, as it currently is very mediocre to use (a much poorer Frost Blades).

Overall: Wild Strike's potential for a unique skill is wasted on its lack of scaling. Giving it some damage bonuses, changing the Combat Focus gem and remedying Fire / Cold portion as well as some Range would make it far better and retain its unique concept.
"
Jess_GGG wrote:
Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.

this is about combat focus interaction with wild strike so it is not about my current char. but about me trying to pob a char and failing to use combat focus in any possible way.

here is the deal, combat focus jewels have the modifiers "less damage of x element"

now elemental hit, as we know can convert all damage to fire. and it is completely op if you do so without the 50% less penalty on combat focus jewels.

but why is wild strike included in this penalty?

i mean if i want to pick only fire it does not mean i don't want to have hatred. and if i want to pick only cold it does not mean i don't want herald of ash and picking a single element for wild strike i actually a nerf to dps to begin with because we lose jewel sockets and gain nothing other than choosing the interaction we like.

i think combat focus less damage dealt should be integrated into elemental hit only. or should stay in the jewel and be specified for elemental hit only.

just to clarify, the scenarios i have in mind is as follows:

1- phys conversion wild strike fire, hatred would be a nice addition for either base crit or brittle for example. combat foucs will nerf hatred damage though.

2- phys conversion wild strike cold, herald of ash would be a nice addition considering we need some more aoe. but combat focus nerfs the damage in this case too.

3, wild strike with elemental weapon "triple ele mods" combat focus nerfs the damage as well.

4, wild strike physical weapon with x% as extra of random element "like elemental mastery or voidforge or even doomfletch". combat focus is a nerf to wild strike too.

5, of x elemental/ physical as EXTR chaos/element. examples: cold to fire, heatshiver, taste of hate, atziri's promise and a few more unique helmtts/body armours as well as some rare item mods.

there are many other examples, but all will fall under the previous 4 points.

please
"
Jess_GGG wrote:
Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.

The skill has been around for over 8 years now and I've been waiting in vain for 6 years for an MTX. Will something be added later??

I have the feeling that the skill is completely neglected by you, even though it is so beautiful

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info