Kripparrian's Frost Pulse Maurader.

what spells and auras hes using?
Is this build viable without any quality gems?
"
dndallasta wrote:
"
iplayforkeeps wrote:
Someone should make a post on how to create a FP marauder. It would be nice for new players like me!

There's really not much to say and most of it is on this thread already. Out of boredom:

Spoiler

Build
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7fPdrKpZ88AakFWnhBo47Dg62E3YjHaePIFvBLPwHxRNAnGiAClPgpvkIhpsna6nCLiTDH0Qf8aeGYUkqjbp42qOZPemtvqPRoFJsjhmT9DQz2VVxhZvm6FnvevuKPqVIEZxtAyTJxzc45_UGbyff8YnqVptJDynXElRwcWIQvIdjDYC_t-EQsNd8nDVcFIRlg5I44TAUfDZSTtyfp2j_Kvz6ha_h9th4lVLJpVte7VIKlvW0dIZc7PwaxXn1U_edw==

Oak/Kill/Kill

One or two points might be off because I did it from memory but it's 99% accurate. Focus on grabbing anything with life first, grab Static Blows whenever you have your 5L and are going to switch to FP, leave crit nodes for last. This assumes Astramentis.
If you don't have it and can't afford it, you'll have to pick up the two +30 DEX nodes above Templar and above Shadow to make up for it, probably will have to rush the third one at the Shadow starting area, and the switch to FP will most likely be delayed. Diamond Skin can be dropped when you reach resists cap through gear.

Links
Spoiler
Freezing Pulse + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Added Lightning Damage + Blood Magic + Life Leech

Reduced Mana + Purity + Haste + <Determination/Discipline>

Reduced Mana + Blood Magic + Grace

Reduced Mana + Elemental Weakness + <Determination/Discipline>

For single target you can use Bear Trap + Added Fire Damage + Culling Strike + Blood Magic. I know Kripp switched to Ice Spear, probably with Increased Crit Damage or something, but I haven't followed that change too much. Decoy Totem and Lightning Warp are also nice to have.

Quality on Freezing Pulse, Added Lightning Damage and Life Leech are important. Quality on GMP, Reduced Mana and Elemental Weakness are also nice, if you can manage.

Gear
Spoiler

A 5L is pretty much essential. Prioritize high armor, life and resists on defensive gear. Spell damage, crit chance, crit multiplier, casting speed, projectile speed and cold damage for offensive mods. Astramentis can be switched out when you find a really good amulet that can offset the points lost.

Leveling
Spoiler
If you have Astramentis, you can level like any other mana-based FP build would after level 20 or 30. Freezing Pulse + LMP + (Faster Projectiles) is enough to destroy Normal. Poison Arrow + a few leveling uniques (Goldrim, Silverbranch, etc.) is also very nice. If you don't have any of that, Poison Arrow alone can still carry you through Normal and a bit of Cruel. Melee is also an option. You can switch to FP whenever you can meet the requirements for GMP/LMP, Freezing Pulse itself and at least a couple of the auras (around level 40 or later) usually at the same time you can equip your 5L. Your mileage may vary depending on what gear you have available. Astramentis is definitely recommended because it makes leveling a whole ton more simple. Remember to level the gems you're going to use as you level up!

How to use

Spoiler

Walk into pack of mobs. Curse with Elemental Weakness. Stand there and spam Freezing Pulse. Then:
a) You can't tank the damage. Get more life nodes.
> a1) You have all the life nodes and can't tank the damage. Get better gear.
b) Your killing speed is too slow. Get crit nodes.
> b1) You have all the crit nodes and your killing speed is too slow. Gratz! You're level 80+ so you don't need to be reading this. Get better gear, though.
c) Win.

Final thoughts
Spoiler
This is basically a more optimized version of the cookie-cutter FP build. It's fairly expensive and it can get pretty troublesome to deal with if you don't have the goods beforehand. It still is doable with nothing in the stash, but leveling, juggling stats and leveling gems will get very tedious. For new players, I suggest checking out any of the other more simple, less demanding builds for Shadows/Witches.

I appreciate the basic walkthrough, couldn't makes sense of any of the tidbits of info here and there on the thread.

"
Is this build viable without any quality gems?

It's doable, but you'll lose a lot of oomph. You will also notice the lack of quality on ALD as you progress through the levels.

At the very least, try and get a high quality FP.

"
what spells and auras hes using?

Read my spoiler post on the previous page.
Last edited by dndallasta on Feb 18, 2013, 4:00:32 PM
How do you apply shock stacks to map mobs using nothing but added lightning + shocking blows? The lightning damage is getting halved by GMP or reduced by 30% from LMP. The base lightning damage is already a very small number, especially when you apply it from the passive and not from a crit. Unless I'm mistake, the lightning damage is so low it will be under 1% on all bosses, rares, and most magic monsters. Since it's under 1% the shock effect won't even be applied.

Am I confused? Is this not how the mechanic works? How are you generating enough lightning damage to get past 1% monster hp in damage? Especially the shocking blows part, a non crit shock is never going to be applied if the only source of damage is the added lightning support gem.

Even though Freezing Pulse does great damage, when you use LMP or GMP the individual dmg of each wave is critical the the duration of the status ailment is it not? The waves arent added together as a singular number for the purposes of applying status ailments, are they? When you divide the damage again by another factor that only the lightning damage portion counts, this makes no sense to me. I use a very standard FP build, and I can barely generate enough damage to trigger freezes on map bosses, its always near the minimum freeze time. How would shock ever work in such a scenario?
It was already covered in a boring and dry debate between Kripp and that other dude a few pages back if you wanna read that.

The basic idea is that most of your shock stacking is going to come from crits, which you're stacking. Static Blows is there to help with the duration, mostly, and the not-so-high HP mobs that still won't die in 2 hits. For just 2 points, it's a good deal.

Also, FP is very easy to shotgun with plus its natural pierce gives a cascading effect when applying shocks. Quality on ALD also extends duration and gives a small +% chance to shock.

Given enough gear, you can shock just dandy.

That's my rationalization of it, anyway.
After reading that I'm still unsure. I understand both arguments, but it seems impossible to verify with current info. Would really need base hp values of monsters, the exact way dmg is calculated for freezing pulse waves, and whether shock stacks impact the damage of the current wave if they get triggered by the previous wave.
Last edited by Mugaaz on Feb 18, 2013, 5:40:54 PM
never mind
Last edited by wadis on Feb 18, 2013, 11:27:42 PM
Why doesnt he get the "Chance to Shock" node? It's 1 after "Static Blows".

It would increase chance to shock from 10% to 20%.
Can someonehelp me im doing the same build have a 17% quality freezing pulse and have gloves that do 7-22 cold damage and stuff and my freezing pulse only does 36 damage....... i dont know if its becuase my wand is really crappy? i cant seem to buy one or find one with cold damage it just has lightning damage and fire damage will it go up when i get a cold damage wand??????

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info