Cold Snap needs nerfing/changing

I totally love playing PvP even though there is no real gain in it. But I have always been a bit annoyed by the freeze effect and cold snap making it unavoidable (unless you have some very specific gear making you immune). Sure cold snap do have a 4 second cooldown to not make it overly over powered but you can go around it by using multiple cold snap gems. Each with it's own different cooldown.

So I equiped my shadow with 5 lvl ~6 cold snap gems and started 1v1 PvP queueing. All games was the same:
1. activate clarity.
2. find enemy
3. qwert
4. do 3 again until win.

He gets almost totally permanently frozen. In some games against shadows and duellists with charges they managed to escape once or twice for some seconds only to be frozen again a little later.

The only problem I ever had was the hard core summoners but after some re-gearing for more tankyness I had little to no problem with the summons while I was freeze killing the summoner.

Something needs to be changed you cant have a PvP where you either have something as uncommon as freeze immunity or you spend the match frozen while you are slowly but surely dying. My ideas are 1. frozen units gets immunity against it for 1-2 seconds after being frozen. or 2. make all skills of the same kind share one cooldown.

Edit: tanky characters with very high cold resistance (some marauders) do win most game vs this. But that should be countered with more cast spead, one extra gem (nr6) and some higher lvl on the gems (I was only using lvl 6 gems).
Last edited by Grildrak on Jan 29, 2013, 10:22:53 PM
I will give yu a hint, cold snap someone once, and then use ice spear to keep them frozen till death :P
ya, thats definetely has to be addresed.
ign: Grandpa_From_Graveyard
Flasks with freeze dispel, Crystal skin, avoidances.

No unique items required.
This is actually worse than one cold snap and ice spear because then you can't be 100% sure you will freeze him. With 5-6 you can.

"Flasks with freeze dispel, Crystal skin, avoidances.

No unique items required."

I didn't say unique, just "very specific" that is kinda hard to get at least for the lower level characters. I am fairly sure I could play a level ~15 doing this and kill almost any character any level that isn't regenerating hp faster then the something like 45dps I cold snap or do not have freeze immunity and that is wrong.

And aside from that it is horrible game design that will put of far to many players, to let PvP be like that.

Edit: And seriously what good would a freeze dispel bottle do? The point of multiple cold snaps is that you can freeze again less the a second later depending on cast speed. (had 0.85 with the character I used for this without really caring to gear him for it)
Last edited by Grildrak on Jan 30, 2013, 8:56:16 AM
"
Grildrak wrote:
This is actually worse than one cold snap and ice spear because then you can't be 100% sure you will freeze him. With 5-6 you can.

"Flasks with freeze dispel, Crystal skin, avoidances.

No unique items required."

I didn't say unique, just "very specific" that is kinda hard to get at least for the lower level characters. I am fairly sure I could play a level ~15 doing this and kill almost any character any level that isn't regenerating hp faster then the something like 45dps I cold snap or do not have freeze immunity and that is wrong.

And aside from that it is horrible game design that will put of far to many players, to let PvP be like that.

I dont think PvP is supposed to be balanced at ~level 15 right now. Currently we have 2 PvP Level ranges. That is PvP up to level 28 and PvP after level 28. I think before even thinking about changing think because of balance one should first wait and see what people come up with to counter all this.

I have written an in depth guide on how to deal with freeze. You guys might want to read it before trying to force game changes:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/85019
Did you ever fight a guy with 75% - 80% cold resist? In my oppinion fighting cold builds in low level pvp is pretty easy:

Just use that shield and you should be completely fine.

And its not really hard to get this shield, because there is actually hardly any other use to it, other than low level pvp.

I'm also pretty sure, that an average not bad equipped character with sth. around 800+ hp and 75% resists wouldn't have too much problems against you. Its just, that most people just try out pvp for their first or second time and have pretty bad equip.
Last edited by Apokalyxio on Jan 30, 2013, 11:19:53 AM
At higher levels we can expect players will have at least 50% cold resistance; even if they don't spec for it. Resistance will just -roll- on items, will be along the path to other skills, etc. Low level PvP is rarely balanced in any game.

IMHO the real problem isn't the freeze, it's how spells, like your freezing one, don't have to go through block or dodge checks, so they effectively have at 100% accuracy where any other tactic likely has 80 or less.
You guys think 75 resists helps? In my experience, LMP freeze pulse, with high crit + some lightning damage (for shock stacks) + cold curse, destroys anyone with ease, its only a question of time. The possible way to fight againts cold witch is to have imunity to freeze, or alteranatively, good resists/health pool, and kill her with bear trap/WB/flicker strike/viper strike or ranged atacks, hoping you wont get chain frozen.
ign: Grandpa_From_Graveyard
Last edited by Ramanuga on Jan 31, 2013, 2:19:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info