Arc

"
_Madus wrote:
^ I wonder if you realized that spell is barly used. I found 2 people using it on my way to 74 HC templar if i dont count self.
Talking about downsides for basicaly useless spell while everyone and his mother playing LA-LMP-CHain and cleaning everything in ARC_clean_time/5 time is lil a bit offtopic.
Maybe you should try to play game with it and compare it to all those LA/PS/IS users, while they have 800dps on LMPed CHained LA/IS/PS.

You do know that most spells are rarely used right? I mean besides Freezing Pulse and EK, you might see Fireball(entirely because of Searing Touch) too but everything else is super uncommon. Have you ever seen anyone use Arctic Breath? Shock Nova(other than on a totem but even counting totems)? In my experience, Arc is actually used decently, mostly by summoners, there's a very popular Arc based summon guide, Arc lets you proc shock stacks easily and only requires a 3L to be efficient so it's perfect for a summoner. But Arc is a rare spell sure, like many other spells however.

LA is a bit of a special case since it's more or less broken, until they decide to finally fix the aoe issue with it. If Fireball worked the same way LA does with Chain, you would see literally everyone using fireball chain, cause it'd instantly kill everything in a second, just like LA does. So anything you compare to LA is naturally way worse, even if you compare freezing pulse and EK.

Arc could definitely use some buffs though, mostly I'd just start by reducing mana costs, like for every spells in the game. The lack of proper supports is annoying too especially with the chain nerf, which was needed but actually hurt Arc more than most other skills.
There's a difference between optimal and not viable. every game of this type ones of getting reduced to 2 or 3 spells that everyone and their mother uses that this game is no different has no bearing on whether or not arc is any good. at the end of the day people are basically asking for spell that already has substantial bonuses like auto targeting and built in chance to shock to also have the same damage potential as a spell like shock which is completely random with regards to what it hits. It makes no sense.
It make sense, especialy in that game where is permanently full screen of monsters. So some autotarget (without ability to target exact target what is big fail) and chance to shock while there is same passive talent have no weight vs projectil based aoe spells.

Dont forget that in game there are no classes so when you have only 2-3 spells you got only 2-3 spells not like 2-3spells x class. Not viable spells hurt this game more like any other game and saying that "all games are like that" is not solution, same like pointing out that Artic breath is shit so what...
Shit should be cleaned or it will stink too much and people start avoid it.
▄█▀█▀█
Last edited by Madus on Feb 22, 2013, 2:00:08 PM
Every skill in the game has the potential to be very powerful. People just have to understand how to scale them properly and have to figure out synergies with other skills. Arc is no different.

Right now EK and FP are very popular because they are easy to understand and people know how to scale hem. They also require no skill synergies to be effective and are relatively simple to use.

Certain people will have you believe that any build has to focus on a single skill. As the community begins to play the game more and more and begins to understand certain synergies between skills I can assure you that people will not be spamming the skill forever.

There just has to be a willingness to explore and discover. There are very few people with such willingness as most people's preconceptions are based on the opinions of a few self-proclaimed know-it-alls.

If one person finds an effective way to use a certain skill and is willing to share it with the community then all the sheep minded people will follow.
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
"
_Madus wrote:
It make sense, especialy in that game where is permanently full screen of monsters. So some autotarget (without ability to target exact target what is big fail) and chance to shock while there is same passive talent have no weight vs projectil based aoe spells.

Dont forget that in game there are no classes so when you have only 2-3 spells you got only 2-3 spells not like 2-3spells x class. Not viable spells hurt this game more like any other game and saying that "all games are like that" is not solution, same like pointing out that Artic breath is shit so what...
Shit should be cleaned or it will stink too much and people start avoid it.

You completely missed my point. The point I was making isn't "every game has broken skills so this will as well". My point was, that every arpg winds up getting broken down 2 or 3 optimal builds by the min maxers and that being the case here as well doesn't suddenly mean that any spell/skill not used in those builds isn't viable. All it means is that they aren't optimal. There's a difference.

ARC isn't currently the most optimal spell to build around in POE. It is however perfectly viable. And if you were to give ARC similar damage to some of these optimal builds then it'd be the one above all being as it bypasses accuracy, travel time, has no range penalty, and has built in shock.
i do believe arc needs a visual upgrade i barely see it "arc" in the first place i see an impact on the ones it hits i was expecting/hoping for a proper chain lighting effect or is that a visual upgrade in the store?
Hi!

I playing with my new lightning witch, and a little bit confused 'couse i find the Arc DMG incorrect! In LvL 3 the base dmg should be 5-88! While I have 5-81 dmg! 5-81 lightning dmg and i have +18% speell dmg and +30% lightning dmg from passives! So my question is the scaling broken or the descripition is incorrect?
you forgot the 50% damage modifier.
it deals 5-88 *0.5 * (1+ 0.18 +0.3)
So what is the exactly working proccess? The game get a randomized number in the 100% scale, halved it and this dmg hit every 3 target! Or the game get the 50% amount of the full dmg and randomize in this interval 3 times(every time when it hit a target)?

Limit the 1st n 2nd chain range. Currently the 1st/2nd chains goes way to far out. It range seems to be broken after it hit the 1st target. Given that there is a chain support gem, so i assume the 1st/2nd chain are meant to be the same range as a player cast n hit the 1st target.

Lower the mana limit for Arc.

Note: my 1st chain refers to the 1st target to the 2nd target.

Therefore with the broken range fixed, and the lower mana cost, the chain support and even other supports would be more used.

Perm. Retired from this unforgiving land of the Exiles.
Self-impost EXILED.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info