28 lvl PVP

"
anubite wrote:

Doubling my crit chance to 13%, even if I could do such a thing easily, in exchange for 50% crit mult - simply isn't worth it. So 13% of my shots crit? Big deal. I'll still mostly be using diamond flasks.

Instead it matters..it's only math..if you could double (I say double for example) the crit chance and reduce the crit multiplier then you would obtain an higher average damage..and so you are more dangerous on average..
How can you suppose to do high damage with few shots not taking in account your probability to do that 3000 crit damage?
What is the use of an incredibly high crit damage if you never get crit?

[ Dps x crit mult x crit chance + Dps x (1 - crit chance) ] x accuracy = real dps

( 387 x 9,99 x 0,065 + 387 x 0,935 ) x 0,91 = 557
( 387 x 8,5 x 0,13 + 387 x 0,87 ) x 0,91 = 696

In my opinion it's a deal..but yes it's hard to do..
Balzzanar's marauder has 2200 dps..so he's really stronger than your ranger 'cause he doesn't need crit, despite your crit damage is higher...(not considering the difference between classes and between bow and melee attack, obviously).

I think we can't know how much damage we will inflict with that precise shot, we only know how much damage we can do on average...fuck it seems quantum theory!:D

In any case diamond flasks increase tremendously your dps...so we're saying the same thing ;)
Last edited by Boda19 on Nov 3, 2012, 10:53:25 AM
I've really curious as to whether there's been talk in the office of a skill split for pvp. It seems like a couple skills are really jacked for pvp while many are blatantly lackluster. I know his is still somewhat true for pvp as well but in pvp i'd like to see less lightning strike and ice pulse and chill and frozen are really devastating.

Note: I went in without a pvp based build just to try it out plus I'm new back after the legacy migration so I don't have much gear to work with currently. This could be playing a major roll I know, but it was still a point of curiosity for me.
as ranged, whats ur plan vs 2k dmg flicker strikers? lol, I just run and rightclick 1 shoot any ranger with volls baptism =P they cant even manage to hit me once =X and I dont even use any pot =X
"
Guilherme84 wrote:
as ranged, whats ur plan vs 2k dmg flicker strikers? lol, I just run and rightclick 1 shoot any ranger with volls baptism =P they cant even manage to hit me once =X and I dont even use any pot =X

I've yet to be one-shot by anyone in 28 pvp, even flicker builds. I have been beaten by flicker builds, but I have also beaten flicker builds soundly. Flicker isn't deciding factor, the rest of the build is.

"
Instead it matters..it's only math..

Math is deceptive in games. It's hard to set up a system of equations which actually map how a game works, well.

The problem with your analysis is you're talking about DPS.

DPS = Damage / Seconds

With a Ranger who has <800 life and a Bow (no block chance) and only 29 or 30 passive points to use - there are a limited number of direct damage upgrades. Thus, the highest possible damage at level 28 PVP is with a critical strike that has a high critical multiplier.

To put it in even simpler terms: Rangers don't endure. Rangers do not have time so they don't have DPS. Even if you build a tanky bow-Ranger, you will probably get to land all of 10 shots on a target before you're dead. That's my entire point. The damage you can do on average doesn't matter - there's nothing to average in a PVP fight. It's over before you can make many shots.

So, having 1 or 2 very powerful attacks is way better than having consistent damage per second.

I frankly don't think it's possible to deal more damage with a non-crit at level 28 pvp. Crits will always do more damage. I have 1000% multiplier - each of my shots is equivalent to 10 normal shots. You can't possibly make one normal shot equal to 10 with any level 28 other kind of character set up.

Thus, to lower my critical damage, means to lower my potential damage per shot. Even if I can make my damage more consistent on average, even if the "math" works out to more damage per second, the fight only lasts one second and in that one second I only get one attack off, so having a ridiculous critical multiplier is way better than having balanced crit chance and crit multiplier.

I'm using Diamond Flasks, so I don't even need a critical strike chance.

If I can't kill my opponent in 5 diamond flasks then there's no way I could kill them with 13% crit chance either. I'm going to get killed in 3-10 hits from my opponent, or less than 2-3 seconds. There is no reason to care about DPS in such a situation, only the number of shots you can make in 2 or 3 seconds and the amount of damage each shot can do while under a diamond flask.

Secondarily - the strength of my build lies in the fact that I take you from full health to zero in one or two shots. This means you cannot react. You cannot use potions to restore your life. You are already dead. That's the strength of the build - it's over in one shot. A lot of players build high life regen or damage mitigation, so that their life potions are very effective. With my build, their life restoration or mana restoration potions do nothing for them at all. Your suggestion to make my damage more consistent would just give my opponents a greater opportunity to wear me down.

Sure, my build is counterable, but that's fine. Any build is. Or should be. But my build fills the niche of countering ones that aren't ready for insane burst damage.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Nov 3, 2012, 10:28:52 PM
"
anubite wrote:

I'm using Diamond Flasks, so I don't even need a critical strike chance.

I totally agree..I was talking about crit chance in general and about its effect on dps..I tought that your talk about the weak importance of dps was a final judgment..but it's true from the perspective of your super effective build..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info