Arctic Breath

Status Ailments (Chill, Freeze, Ignite, Shock) are unaffected by Skill Duration. The Ground Ice duration will improve.
One thing about this skill that really bothers me is it's interaction with terrain.
I understand that Arctic Breath is a ground-traveling projectile, which means it will detonate when colliding with things on the ground or when hitting a ledge, unlike air-traveling projectiles like Fireball (which is a very similar skill to AB) which fly over all these things.

Yet Arctic Breath shows itself as frozen skulls that hover over the ground.

I think it would feel a lot more intuitive to change the skulls to air-traveling projectiles. I know this would probably cause issues with the behavior of the ground-ice, but why don't you just split the skill into 2 separate projectiles, internally?
Have 1 projectile be the air-traveling skulls that behave similar to skills like Fireball or Ice Spear, and have 1 projectile be the ground-traveling ground-ice which stops traveling whenever hitting terrain.
So, uh, has anyone noticed the ground ice actually chilling enemies? I've only noticed enemies getting chilled on impact, never just by standing on the ice. Am I just going crazy?
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
So, uh, has anyone noticed the ground ice actually chilling enemies? I've only noticed enemies getting chilled on impact, never just by standing on the ice. Am I just going crazy?
thats what is supposed to happen (the chill while foes are standing on ground ice), same for ice shot and the ground ice from arctic armor.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Aug 9, 2013, 12:11:30 PM
I agree with the earlier statement of making it an air projectile, arctic breath is the only projectile in game that follows this ground rule, and it has many issues because of this.

Ex. impact with walls when casting, not being able to make it through doorways, small space issues.

The skill itself and its concept is fantastic. It just needs to be fixed somewhat.

A way i thought that might work was a rather simple change, why not keep the floating skull, but instead of icy ground, an icy fog of sorts behind it, and on impact either keep the ground ice explosion, or make it a fog explosion.

Such a change would allow it to be air born, create the slowing frost in the air, and allow for the explosion to still properly take place.

Personally, i love arctic breath, and im trying my best to use it in a real build, real as in an actual skill that deals damage, not something to simply slow down enemies. so if this concept helps, fantastic.
State of Beyond Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3441741

State of Blight Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3470384

State of Harbinger Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3473629
"
Raghin wrote:
arctic breath is the only projectile in game that follows this ground rule
sparks says hi, and it doesn't have as many issues.
Another vote for making Arctic Breath an air projectile. At the moment it's just too frustrating to use, especially indoors. The fog idea a couple posts above is a good alternative for the ground ice.
Cast time is too high, damage is too low, graphics are poorly optimized.
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
Went triple totem with gmp and faster cast linked.....end result groups will kick u because u cause them to lag so horrible. I would not use this in a group let alone onslaught or hardcore if u want someone to die from lag.
"
Elemenz wrote:
Sucks, too low dmg, feels clunky, nothing special.

It has higher damage than Freezing Pulse while having superior range and CC ability.

"
Raghin wrote:
I agree with the earlier statement of making it an air projectile, arctic breath is the only projectile in game that follows this ground rule, and it has many issues because of this.

Ex. impact with walls when casting, not being able to make it through doorways, small space issues.

The skill itself and its concept is fantastic. It just needs to be fixed somewhat.

A way i thought that might work was a rather simple change, why not keep the floating skull, but instead of icy ground, an icy fog of sorts behind it, and on impact either keep the ground ice explosion, or make it a fog explosion.

Such a change would allow it to be air born, create the slowing frost in the air, and allow for the explosion to still properly take place.

Personally, i love arctic breath, and im trying my best to use it in a real build, real as in an actual skill that deals damage, not something to simply slow down enemies. so if this concept helps, fantastic.

I use it on my level 64 Witch with GMP and Life Leech, cause my gear is not too good at the moment so I have no access to 5L or 6L.

In solo play it demolishes groups at a farther distance than Freezing Pulse.
I understand why Freezing Pulse is more popular but people seem to like to overlook Freezing Pulse drawbacks too much in favour of it's cast speed.

"
h3rp3s wrote:
Mana Cost Too High, Damage too low, Cast Speed too long

I can spam it quite a while with crap gear aka no mana regen on it while using it with GMP. I agree that the cast speed is to slow, should be a bit higher, maybe 0.7 or 0.75.
And it hits harder at longer ranges than FP so that argument is not valid.
Last edited by Sykar on Sep 26, 2013, 5:12:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info