Vulkan Proton crash on Linux

I had this issue on Debian stable with wine 3.15; My fix is upgrade to Debian testing.
I have 95% confidence that this issue comes from outdated "Mesa Vulkan" drivers; I only seen version 23 or later to run POE 3.25.
Had this issue on Arch with a 7900XTX, the solution was to install the vulkan-radeon package. I also installed the lib32 one for good measure.
"
okkwamos wrote:
Had this issue on Arch with a 7900XTX, the solution was to install the vulkan-radeon package. I also installed the lib32 one for good measure.

I'm on nvidia but just double checked and drivers still on the latest.

Still no luck, can barely play... 3FPS (D11) is not conducive to a good experience.
Last edited by Valsacar on Aug 2, 2024, 6:34:02 PM
Anyone find a solution that makes it playable? Getting single digit FPS when there's more than 2 things on the screen is not fun.

I've tried every combination of Proton versions and renders with no help.
"
Valsacar wrote:
Anyone find a solution that makes it playable? Getting single digit FPS when there's more than 2 things on the screen is not fun.

I use DX12 and it's alright. Still crashes occasionally but my fps is mostly fine. i7 12700k and gtx 3080
On Nvidia if low FPS try to add environment variable:
export __GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1
"
ZNICH_BY wrote:
On Nvidia if low FPS try to add environment variable:
export __GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1

In my case it's intermittent FPS problems. On Vulkan things always ran smoothly, but since that is broken atm only DX11 is staying stable but plays like dogshit.
"
Valsacar wrote:

I'm on Mint, so your experience may vary. But I managed (finally) to get Vulkan to work again forcing the newest mesa-vulkan-drivers on Synaptic.

-Open Synaptic.
-Search for "vulkan", without quotes.
-Select mesa-vulkan-drivers.
-Go to Package menu -> Force Version -> Select 24.1.5+git....(basically the newest one at the date of writing), and apply.
-Apply selected changes on the manager and let it update.
-Restart for a good measure and to check there is no broken compatibility with Steam, as it is a dependent package and could not launch, I broke my Steam installation once by tinkering too much.
-Launch the game on DX11/12 and change renderer to Vulkan. Enjoy if it doesn't spit any message error.

Hope this helps you.

-------

Also, for the support team: I know we are few, but it will help us to know some of the specs/packages, specially version, you use for Steam Deck, or any other Linux dist you might use to check how the game runs on non-windows systems. So we can have a leveling ground for everybody to troubleshoot.
"
"
Valsacar wrote:

I'm on Mint, so your experience may vary. But I managed (finally) to get Vulkan to work again forcing the newest mesa-vulkan-drivers on Synaptic.

-Open Synaptic.
-Search for "vulkan", without quotes.
-Select mesa-vulkan-drivers.
-Go to Package menu -> Force Version -> Select 24.1.5+git....(basically the newest one at the date of writing), and apply.

I'm running linux mint also and that doesn't work.
synaptic is absolutely awful.
it immediately generates a bunch of "fix broken packages" errors and doesn't actually tell you what packages are broken.

directx12 is working for me. it's really odd. some days it crashes 5 times in an hour.
today it ran for 1 1/2 hours solid with no problem.

the crashes seem to be heavily linked to the gateway.

I noticed that when I was getting lots of crashes I was on european gateways instead of NA.

i'm hoping that upgrading to linux mint 22 will help but I'm really worried it will break my lutris set-up. what to do, what to do ?

edit: what happens if I try to force the upgrade

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mesa-vulkan-drivers : Depends: libdrm-amdgpu1 (>= 2.4.119) but 2.4.113-2~ubuntu0.22.04.1 is to be installed
Depends: libdrm2 (>= 2.4.119) but 2.4.113-2~ubuntu0.22.04.1 is to be installe
Last edited by plasticeyes on Aug 13, 2024, 1:38:03 AM
success.

upgraded linux mint to 22

upgraded wine-hq staging and kisak-mesa

this is the version of mesa-vulkan on the system

ii mesa-vulkan-drivers:amd64 24.1.6~kisak1~j

enabled vulkan in PoE and working great.

Thanks for your help!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info