New Vaal Pact and 'Increased Maximum total Life Recovery per second from Leech

If these mods don't work for the new Vaal Pact (which it sounds like they do not), then this should be addressed, otherwise all the leech notables in the skilltree are effectively useless for VP which would be a massive design oversight.

Right now I could only see VP being used on extremely high attack speed builds.

Even having those modifiers be 'applies at half-effectiveness for leeches that are instant' would be good.
Last edited by dizz on Jul 24, 2024, 6:46:26 PM
Last bumped on Aug 8, 2024, 7:17:06 PM
Nah, there are plenty of mechanics that do interesting stuff with leech %. You will see some builds with it soon.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506

You need the mod that's on this jewel: Maximum recovery per leech. Rather than maximum recovery per second per leech, etc.

Getting 100% maximum recovery per leech would give you 20% per hit, which would be amazing if you have a 10+ APS build. Your mapping survivability is boosted drastically here.

You're right though. If you have a slow attacking build, vaal pact may very well not be worth it.
I'm struggling to come up with new goals to keep me playing this game.
Can jewels even get that roll? The poewiki only has this listed:

> JewelImplicitLifeLeechRate - 20% increased total Recovery per second from Life Leech

Which doesn't work with VP.
Chaos Inoculation "Maximum life becomes 1" all these notables which increase life and life recovery effectively become useless for CI which would be a massive design oversight.

"
ZenJelly wrote:
Chaos Inoculation "Maximum life becomes 1" all these notables which increase life and life recovery effectively become useless for CI which would be a massive design oversight.

If their effect is not applied to ES when you use Zealot's Oath, then sure. Similarly, leech modifiers should apply to ES when you have ghost reaver. I think both life leech and regen modifiers apply to ES when those notables are applied though.
I'm struggling to come up with new goals to keep me playing this game.
^that isn't correct. Just like how life recovery rate does NOT have any effect on Zealot's Oath. This is a known fact: only sources of "life regeneration" get converted to ES with Zealot's Oath. Nothing else.

The language needs to be very specific for these kinds of nodes. If it says "life leech applies to energy shield instead", then that ONLY means "leech x% of life" instead translates to "leech x% of es". Modifiers to the life leech rates will NOT carry over to ES because they only apply if you were still leeching life.

Right on the wiki, Ghost Reaver: This is not a conversion mechanic; life leech modifiers will not apply to leech altered by this keystone. Only modifiers to ES leech apply. That is why Ghost Reaver also has the line about doubling maximum total recovery from leech: there are no sources of that, unlike life leech.

Vaal Pact is a choice: you either want instant leech, or you want fast overleech. Instant leech is better for (like you all said) consistent fast hits and a decently tanky character, or if you have no way of getting overleech. Overleech (slayer, etc.) with increased leech rate and amount is much better as a defensive layer on a harder hitting, but more fragile build. Vaal Pact offers no protection once you stop attacking, whereas non-instant leech continues to take effect after you have stopped attacking, which can be beneficial to different builds.

Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jul 25, 2024, 7:04:43 PM
I'd also add....you don't need any Maximum Recovery per Leech with Vaal Pact. Because it's instant and because you are presumably hitting anywhere between 5 and 15 times a second, the difference between 10% and 20% is unnoticeable. No matter what, in every scenario you'll either be dead in one hit or leeched to full. It's a completely wasted stat.
Only slayer could double the leech per melee hit from new vaal pact.
All other resources are related to non-instant leeches.

As new vaal pact bans all other method to gain life, it's not useful at all (with the limitation of 10% leech per hit) compare with 10% leech is instant mastery. The side effect is again far more powerful than the upside mod, like many other keystones discarded by most players.
Serious question: How are you supposed to survive things like traps or burning ground with the new Vaal Pact? If damaging something is literally the only way to recover life you're completely screwed by tons of mechanics which don't allow you to be attacking something every second.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info