Paint-Undo AI model, on how to kill fan art contest XD XD

Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Jul 10, 2024, 10:28:40 AM
Last bumped on Aug 11, 2024, 5:01:46 AM
Ironically we just bought a couple of Fate artbooks. Some great work by names like WADARCO.

Fate fans, on the other hand, are a special kind of thirsty and anyone using the name Illyasviel is right near the youngest, grossest fountain. IYKYK.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 11, 2024, 3:14:14 AM
ART > AI

When GGG decided writings stories/poems etc weren't art (for their contests) I decided that their fan artist competition was nonsense.

A lot of artists learn how to draw by copying or imitating other artists. As they acquire their own skills, some learn to create their own unique style.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jul 19, 2024, 11:01:47 PM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
ART > AI

When GGG decided writings stories/poems etc weren't art (for their contests) I decided that their fan artist competition was nonsense.

A lot of artists learn how to draw by copying or imitating other artists. As they acquire their own skills, some learn to create their own unique style.

to me everything is art. but, for the contest that you mentioned, its like submitting banana ice cream to a banana contest. its still a banana but not in the form that they expected.

for sure poems/stories is art. but if you're going to a "regular" art contest, you really should know what the judges are expecting.

we dont need to argue semantics. most normies when they hear art competition would immediately imagine paintings/sketches etc.
[Removed by Support]
Art is everything that has "soul".

There are things done but soulless.
"
exsea wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:
ART > AI

to me everything is art. but, for the contest that you mentioned, its like submitting banana ice cream to a banana contest. its still a banana but not in the form that they expected.

for sure poems/stories is art. but if you're going to a "regular" art contest, you really should know what the judges are expecting.

we dont need to argue semantics. most normies when they hear art competition would immediately imagine paintings/sketches etc.

Cool, I like your opinion! It's commendable that you highlight the broad definition of art while acknowledging the specific expectations of certain contests. Your comparison of banana ice cream at a banana contest is witty and effectively conveys your point about meeting the judges' expectations. Haha, this is the first time I've heard such a comparison.
I do enjoy the sheer two-dimensional nature of the AI summary of my book based on three-dimensional reviews.

Gen AI is specious. That's the perfect word for it. Learn it. Know it. Be wary of it.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
exsea wrote:
for the contest that you mentioned, its like submitting banana ice cream to a banana contest. its still a banana but not in the form that they expected.

Obviously, only one form is acceptable!

All Path of Exile "Art" contests are exercises in ekphrasis. They use one medium to capture some of the essence of another medium (the video game). GGG used to allow poetry and prose, and at some point intentionally excluded it.

This blob of paint would be allowed:

This lump of clay would be allowed:

If someone had submitted a poem such as

Oft him anhaga are gebideð,
metudes miltse, þeah þe he modcearig
geond lagulade longe sceolde
hreran mid hondum hrimcealde sæ
wadan wræclastas. Wyrd bið ful aræd!

Spoiler
Translation:

“Often the solitary one experiences mercy for himself,
the mercy of the Measurer, although he, troubled in spirit,
over the ocean must long
stir with his hands the rime-cold sea,
travel the path of exile – Fate is inexorable.”

It would be disallowed as art, even though it is the origin of the term Wraeclast?

This is art?

But this isn't?

The art in that image (LOTR story) is worth 2.9 billion compared to the most expensive "art" (Salvator Mundi by Da Vinci) ever sold at 450 million:

GGG could exclude sculpture or paintings. They could only allow cubist art. It is their contest, they can do what they want. I think the real reason they don't include writing is that they consider it too easy to do, like AI imagery.

The artificial exclusion of other art forms by GGG is uncanny.

Hello, I am art critic.

Old Game
Loot creeps in
Meta grinds
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Aug 4, 2024, 6:16:56 AM
I have a different theory.

It was confirmed.

Also many Exiles aren't exactly known for refined English literacy. This being an international, Chinese-owned game and all.

Visual art, on the other hand, requires no real literacy to at least appreciate regardless of language spoken or written. Like music, it transcends the curse of Babel.

Is writing art? It can be an artform. But it doesn't fall under the lay definition of art, since the 'sensory' part is implicit. You don't go to an art gallery and look at books, or even poetry all that often. If you are an art student, you're probably not learning the Western literary canon.

And whether we like it or not, the vast majority of writing people consume is...barely craft, never mind art.

I am playing Devil's Advocate because I can, and because I'm probably one of the more accomplished writers around here. So if anyone should be annoyed that written art is excluded from a computer game's community art contest, it should be me. And I just ain't.

So if I can reconcile it, I reckon anyone can. Or should at least try.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 11, 2024, 5:00:53 AM
I reckon genAI has already slipped under GGG's nose anyway, and my favourite artist never wins, so eh, it's mostly just passive PR, innit.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Aug 4, 2024, 10:13:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info