Poor Wolcen... such promise, but poorly managed

Sad to see an arpg die like this. My condolences C.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/wolcen/multiplayer-support-ending

Rip.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last bumped on Jun 8, 2024, 10:19:12 PM
Eh i got plenty of fun out of it for 20 bucks man. What, 2k hours or so? Chatted with the actually not shit devs on discord once or twice. Planned and built close to a hundred chars, all of whom made it to the tougher parts of the game.

But yeah this was inevitable. I don't even have it installed on my ps5. It was just that buggy and the devs who remained after all the shit went down showed no interest in fixing it.

But wolcen always had an offline mode so honestly is this really big news?

Wh40kIM was a fine replacement. It also has devs who care, but aren't hamstrung by truly atrocious management. It too is reaching end of life but I play it solo anyway. An offline mode will be very welcome.

I am sad I was wrong about Umbra/Wolcen but maintain their alpha was one of the most brilliant I've ever played. It really had a lot of potential as an open world ARPG.

But as an ARPG gamer? Shit. We haven't been more spoiled for choice than right now. And that is totally ignoring PoE 1.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 2, 2024, 9:00:01 PM
aww thats sad to see. its a shame about the multiplayer because i think one of the ways a game like this is still fun to me is to load it up with some friends and do a run for a week or 2.

it was a fairly shit game tho. cool idea with rotating tree, if i remember right the campaign was really well put together. some good aspects and fun to make some characters but just such deep flaws.

when it first launched i think you got % damage from your core stats that you got with levels, which meant without speccing anything passively you had maybe 600-1000% damage.

this was then ADDITIVE with % damage from the tree, which was on nodes at values like 5%, 7% etc if memory serves. so you got a passive tree, half the nodes are damage and its virtually all trash, you cant spec any of those nodes because they do almost nothing to boost your damage.

a couple of them were multiplicative, some were supposed to be but were bugged and were additive, some were supposed to be additive but bugged to be multi, none of this was labelled anyway so even if it worked you would have had no idea which was worth taking and which was rendered completely useless by the core stat damage you got for free.

i just dont even, how can you be a developer of an ARPG but have absolutely no care or thought for how the maths works regarding the stats and passives? the core stat thing wasnt even a bug, they just had not thought about the fact giving you 600%+ damage and then nodes with 5% being additive with that made them useless.

completely incompetent, making errors any journeyman arpg player should have seen immediately, never mind a dev team.

im surprised it lasted this long tbh.

like char said we got so much going on right now in the space its whatever, sad, but we had our fun with it.
Wolcen and LE always left me with the impression of quick cash strategy, pump and dump, invest some money into marketing hype the game and thank you for your easy 3M$@Wolcen and 33M$@LE, nothing wrong, everybody needs cash to live.
We should not seek to use this power to change those around us, no... This power is a means for us to change ourselves. To be reborn as Wraeclast intends us to be. - The Slaying of the Gods //Oshabi//
RIP.

wolcen despite its flaws did have some interesting features for melee. the basic attack has a dash feature that makes them dash a short distance and perform a dash attack before attacking normally.

its quite a fun mechanic to have and its enabled by default but has a short cooldown.

one major gripe i have about the game is the will/rage system. you spend one resource you build another. the issue i have is it encourages dual wielding as one weapon would focus on magic while another on attack skills.

playing a pure 2hander its easy to spend all your rage and have no way to spend your will as you cant cast spells using a 2hander by default. and thus you cant convert the will back to rage in an organic way.

i complained about this for ages. nothing changes. next thing i know the games dead.

good luck to the devs in their future projects.

wolcen really had a lot of potential. its a shame but i really am not surprised its going away.
[Removed by Support]
Quite a shame cause the game did in fact had some potential and even approached some aspects better than D4. Even the story was more entertaining and less of a result of some fresh newcomers like in D4.

Blizzard could really take some notes of the game to improve theirs by a lot.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
I got it in beta for like $14 so no biggie as I got my money's worth. When they scrapped what they had and started from scratch was the beginning of the end.
Censored.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info