So the ruthless haters were right...

No flame dash for you!
8 mod maps are the new alch and go.
"
Sadaukar wrote:
I need to see the finished product to make an informed decision.

we'll have to see.

Careful, you wouldn't want to bring common sense into the discussion.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
It was never a side project and it seems to have had a heavy influence on POE2 to the point is caused the split.

"
Moridin79 wrote:
Poe2 is more ruthless based than Poe1. No bench, no quicksilver, utility flasks nuked. Well played ggg...or not...

well all this can be fixed.
so if players hate the slow tedious gameplay that can be added some movement speed to start with.

oh, I refuse to play ruthless mode.
"
Sadaukar wrote:

The new Chaos Orbs seem odd, but then... when did we chaos spam in the current game.

I'ma be honest - the more I think about the new Chaos Orb functionality the more I like it. Chaos are all but unusable for The Average Player in PoE1; you need thousands of them to actually use them for crafting, rolling just two or three is utterly pointless unless you get outrageously lucky. Finding an almost-good item in PoE1 is usually just a groanfest and something you throw in a 5c shop because there's no real way to fix a "near-miss" item, as Jonathan called it. Sure you can hit it with an Anull, but since when are average items worth burning Nulls on?

The new version of Chaos orbs are something you use once, maybe twice, on an item that's almost great to see if you get lucky. Regular players will be using the new chaos orbs all the time, hoping they roll that 6 and nix a junk T13 mod for a high roll on something they need. Currency the player actually uses is always better than currency the player never uses at all save to get rid of a Reflect mod on their map, or to give to some other player for an item they'll never be able to find/make themselves.

"
Sadaukar wrote:
Not being able to craft an item from the ground up tho... mhm, that doesn't feel good. No Alt Spam, no Scour and redo. I think it's a learning process and hopefully they will introduce new ways to create powerful items.

I do kinna hate the loss of Alts - I still have no freaking clue how we're supposed to roll our flasks - and the loss of Scours is a hard blow even if I totally get why they did it. Scour+Alt=Old Chaos, after all, and the emphasis in the new game seems to be on refining the loot you get rather than just rolling brand new loot on an existing white base. They're gonna have to do something about mapping though, no matter how chucklefucky Mark got at the thought of forcing people to try and run reflect mods. I'm all aboard for PoE2, but I really wanted to slap that nasty little smirk off the man's face at that question. Bleh.

"
Sadaukar wrote:

we'll have to see.

Dead gods, wouldn't it be nice if people were actually willing to do that? q_q
Last edited by 1453R on Jul 30, 2023, 11:33:34 AM
I wouldn't call myself a "Ruthless hater" and I don't think anyone else would either. If you like Ruthless go for it.

What people were saying is that when the lead Developer is involved in a game mode it isn't a side project. Chris was so passionate (which I love seeing) about Ruthless that you could see it had a massive influence on him. Again I have no issue with that. Chris is an amazing person and I could listen to him talk about POE all day long.

But there is no denying now that Ruthless has had a massive impact on POE's development. To the point it caused POE2 to split off into its own game. I, half Expecting POE2 to be renamed Path of the Ruthless.
Last edited by mrrick1781 on Jul 30, 2023, 11:49:37 AM
"
lupasvasile wrote:
And those people are grateful that POE and POE 2 are two separate games. They can play the one they like.

We don't even know that. They have mentioned that both games are going to get their own leagues and updates. Can we really trust on that statement? Or is PoE1 even enjoyable by the time PoE2 gets released? Looking at chieftain and sabo I get the feeling that they slowly begin to crash every class against the wall, well at least sabo has some sort of identity with mines lol

"
mrrick1781 wrote:

But there is no denying now that Ruthless has had a massive impact on POE's development. To the point it caused POE2 to split off into its own game. I, half Expecting POE2 to be renamed Path of the Ruthless.

I don't think so. Ruthless isn't actually that old but you can easily tell that many ruthless features were nothing but concept testing for PoE2. Same goes for a lot of the previous league content. They have ported a PoE2 boss into sanctum probably to test what the different behavior feels like.
PoE2 mostly exist because of the limitations to actually merge both games into one.
Good luck to balance the Poe2 campaign with PoE1 campaign, the rather questionable combat system and so on.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Jul 30, 2023, 12:11:45 PM
the ruthless conspiracy theory is very tiresome

they make flasks shit and everyone goes omg its ruthless completely ignoring that basically everyone would make flasks shit because they took over the game so much they had to do a blanket nerf on the lot, then we made them extremely OP again.

A game where a belt that lets you just have them up 100% is the most desirable item.

Shit mechanics were going to get changed for PoE2, especially ones with major design constraints or problems associated.

All you have to do to know PoE2 isn't really ruthless is look at the number of players that actually play ruthless its a garbage mode that is comparatively extremely unpopular. You are talking about a successful business pouring all their resources into a mode they have literal proof doesn't work its an absolutely moronic statement.

Will it share some features? Absolutely, but every arpg shares something with ruthless its not a particular interesting mode being entirely about scarcity on a game model built for abundance.
Path of Dark Souls or Path of Hades is more of an appropriate name now I guess.
I don't play these type of games where 90% of my time goes to fighting bullet spunge bosses. To me the news about 100+ new bosses, every single zone etc is pure horror.
I really try to be hyped about all teh rest, but it seems the game is built around those minutes, maybe tens of minutes, long boss fight.
Great for Sanctum lovers, but I assume only 50% of the players loved Sanctum. At least there will still be a real Hack&slash ARPG left to play called Path of Exile 1.
Last edited by leto2626 on Jul 30, 2023, 12:44:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info