D4 will probably not beat PoE 2, but...

"
Faceman165 wrote:
"
Ivanovv83 wrote:
Call me when it beats Poe1..

Diablo 4 will probably beat PoE in several aspects of a video game. It doesn't have to have PoE's complexity (that comes with its overly complicated mechanics and bloated content) to be the more attractive ARPG for the majority of gamers.

It will only really attract the "casuals" cause most players will likely play the story once or twice and wait for more content at this point. Or burn out of not really having much of the hack and slash game aspect.

the game would be a lot more attractive without the open world aspect cause it simply doesn't fit into a arpg hack and slash genre.
Guess blizzard decided to give the open world aspect a try after seeing Lost ark's great launch success lol.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Mar 29, 2023, 9:36:14 AM
There's no way to compare the two audiences.

That's like boasting about the success of the TV show Barney & Friends to people who watch Frasier. Sure, they're both TV shows from the early 90's and they both have a run time of 30 minutes. Outside of that they have nothing to do with each other.

The people who like PoE sink thousands of hours into the game. To them, it's a high quality game. To them, there is no other game that comes close to offering what PoE offers.

I've seen countless 'Diablo Fans' pre-order D4 with the intention to play through the story--and that's it. To them, that's what Diablo offers and it does it better than PoE and possibly better than any aRPG.

As a PoE player, nothing about D4's success is relevant to me. Imagine going to a Foo Fighters concert and the dude next to you starts talking about Justin Beiber's success...
"
muzein wrote:
There's no way to compare the two audiences.

That's like boasting about the success of the TV show Barney & Friends to people who watch Frasier. Sure, they're both TV shows from the early 90's and they both have a run time of 30 minutes. Outside of that they have nothing to do with each other.

The people who like PoE sink thousands of hours into the game. To them, it's a high quality game. To them, there is no other game that comes close to offering what PoE offers.

I've seen countless 'Diablo Fans' pre-order D4 with the intention to play through the story--and that's it. To them, that's what Diablo offers and it does it better than PoE and possibly better than any aRPG.

As a PoE player, nothing about D4's success is relevant to me. Imagine going to a Foo Fighters concert and the dude next to you starts talking about Justin Beiber's success...

While that's true on its face, for whatever reason, there seems to be significant crossover. So obviously players of both games can have different expectations and still enjoy both.

I think its reductive to say PoE players are different and won't like D4. So yes the audiences are different, but not so very different in the general arpg pool of players.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 29, 2023, 9:51:17 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I think its reductive to say PoE players are different and won't like D4. So yes the audiences are different, but not so very different in the general arpg pool of players.

I agree. There is a lot of cross-over, and there will be tons of PoE players that also like Diablo 4. But it's all about liking it for what it is. Hell, even I like Diablo 4 for what it is, but it's not a game I will sink my soul into, so to speak, and spend north of a hundred hours on each league/ladder/season (or whatever they will call it over there). And I'm the type of player that wants to sink my soul into a game - occasionally. That's one of the reasons I'm here, and I think that goes for a lot of PoE players.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Comparing PoE and D3/D4 is like comparing cricket and football. Cricket is pretty deep (5 day games, lots of tactics strategy) and mostly for nerds while football is quick action (90 min) and attracts a lot more people.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I agree. There is a lot of cross-over, and there will be tons of PoE players that also like Diablo 4. But it's all about liking it for what it is. Hell, even I like Diablo 4 for what it is, but it's not a game I will sink my soul into, so to speak, and spend north of a hundred hours on each league/ladder/season (or whatever they will call it over there). And I'm the type of player that wants to sink my soul into a game - occasionally. That's one of the reasons I'm here, and I think that goes for a lot of PoE players.

I agree with that, at least for what we know currently about D4. But probably what is most significant is how many players that represents in terms of PoE's base, and how many of those will have preference to D4, which hasn't been an option previously.

I mean are we talking 25%? A Thrid? Half? If it's more than that its trouble for PoE financially; for fiscal 2023 at least. And we don't know what the D4 retention or return rates on PoE will be. I'm sure GGG is somewhat nervous about that, knowing PoE2 is still a ways off.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 29, 2023, 11:59:11 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I agree with that, at least for what we know currently about D4. But probably what is most significant is how many players that represents in terms of PoE's base, and how many of those will have preference to D4, which hasn't been an option previously.

I mean are we talking 25%? A Thrid? Half? If it's more than that its trouble for PoE financially; for fiscal 2023 at least. And we don't know what the D4 retention or return rates on PoE will be. I'm sure GGG is somewhat nervous about that, knowing PoE2 is still a ways off.

I'd say 10%. I have 3 friends that prefer D3/D4. Only one touched POE. And even he went back to D3 recently because he didnt like looking at rares etc. There are two of us that prefer POE and we will play D4 for a bit and never touch it again.

Its just how it is. The D3 community moved towards torchlight afaik.
looky here a new type of post about POE...we will call it Gaem is ded. I guess we will see if its true or not in a few months as we have never seen this extreme view leveled before. Of course POE2 is almost certainly not launching until 2024 but in a few months we will know just how daed POE1 is will the release of the perfect ARPG D4 and can then assume (always a safe bet) that POE2 will be stillborn.

Spoiler
There are 100s maybe 1000s of games I don't like or play and never NOT ONCE have I ever posted in the forum of said games - guess I really am a boomer
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race
Last edited by Ain_Soph_Aur on Mar 29, 2023, 2:31:52 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
and how many of those will have preference to D4...

It doesn't really matter how many, but how strong the preference is - and how long that preference "lets' them play. And if that preference fulfills what PoE currently gives them.

At launch? We'll probably see some dystopic numbers, and this forum will probably be filled with "PoE ded" threads. Hell, we all know PoE players love "new and shiny things" because of all the hype we see each league. And maybe those numbers will remain as long as D4 has its "new car smell". Maybe the numbers will last longer? Who knows. Only time can tell. But how long can each season in D4 hold on to the players? And will that amount of time fulfill their ARPG 'needs'?

So many questions, so few answers.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
But how long can each season in D4 hold on to the players?

Yeah idk. How long does that happen in PoE? 4-6 weeks on scale before things really drop off? (Edit: and that was before D4 and we don't know how competitive the season/ league dates will be)

Plus D4 monetization is right up front, where PoE needs that concurrency far more than D4 does if players are engaging in both. Basically you could have people playing a PoE league while simultaneously being fully monetized in D4. (Granted we don't have full understanding of the D4 cash shop)

It really is impossible for PoE to compete on level. GGG is probably just going to have to put blinders on, put their heads down, and work on PoE2 regardless of how bad the numbers are. I don't think they can really do anything about it.
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 29, 2023, 2:41:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info