Buying and selling items from/to other players in game from an objective perspective

"
"
Let me just come right out and say it. From the perspective of a person looking at trade with the view from outside looking in, trade is really bad.

Just wanted to point out the obvious... Despite your labeling of the thread as "from an objective perspective", this assertion, and most of the rest of your post, is perfectly subjective.

Thanks for attending my Ted Talk.

He's right. An "objective" perspective would acknowledge why its done this way and at least look at the reasoning and benefits of keeping such an "archaic" system.

Yeah, it is an old system. But I also remember that original system which did not have a trading api and where finding rarer items typically required a 3rd party website and forum gold, which also often involved real world money. You didn't have to use your own real world money, but generally someone at some point spent something for that forum gold to exist.

You really can't compare an ah to this type of game, D3 did it and let's just say that didn't go well.

Having multiple MMORPG experiences under my own belt, I can think of ONE AH that actually functioned like an AH, with actual bidding and all that mess. Its been shut down for several years now. Wow you just listed items for buyouts. Swtor you listed items for buyouts. Pretty sure City of Heroes was buyout only listing too. SwG has been shutdown so long all I remember is often placing items in personal vendors in guild halls and homes for a buyout.

One thing most of the AH based econ's have is that there aren't many of them left up and running. Swtor has a crazy inflation problem to the point where the 1 billion credit cap isn't high enough for some items to get listed anymore. A few years ago when I left I had a few hundred million. When I came back, I was a multi-billionaire before long, and still didn't feel "rich".

There's a reason they restart the economy every 3-4 months in PoE. Inconvenient trading is just part of extending the lifespan by assisting in "supply reduction". When I started PoE I would sell practically anything that would sell and plenty that still wouldn't. Over the years I've refined my system but I still have a hard time vendoring particular uniques. A lot of that is psychological, remembering them selling for much more despite knowing they no longer retain the same value (or the same stats by that point).

And truly, for many leagues you don't need some build valuing hundreds upon hundreds of exalts to 40/40. Stop basing your perceptions on streamer play alone.
Yep, totally over league play.
I dont know how much good it will do, as GGG is so stubborn and full of hubris to even remotely admit that POE today, with tools and information available, is vastly different than when they wrote the trade manifesto.

Their reluctance to acknowledge this has created far more difficult problems like TFT for example, that now transcend their control.

This notion that trade being too easy or impacting gear progression is laughable now given the state of crafting and 3rd party player tools.

Again I wouldn't expect much, but from a developer point of view, the state of trade, and their outdated stances, are a professional embarrassment imo.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 12, 2022, 1:57:03 PM
They want trade to be as laborious, difficult, annoying and time-consuming as possible. It´s a viewpoint based on the fear that easier/more effective trade would enable players to finish the game even faster, and I can´t argue with that point. Besides that, once used to the tools that are available, I don´t even think trade is a too big of a deal, but I digress into personal opinions.

The fact is: They have a very clear stance on it, and I really don´t get why every 2nd fresh forum-dude needs to post a rambling, unprofessional freaking manifesto about it - it won´t change, learn to live with it - we had this topic a hundred times.
Reason why I'll never trade in this game, ever.
I'm already in a bad spot, being a person that really hates interacting with strangers, but on top of that I have to go through all the stuff you mentioned in your post. Fuck that shit, I'd rather spend that time actually playing the game.

Luckily for me, I still enjoy the game in SSF. Sure, I won't be playing certain builds, but this game has so many, I'm sure do adapt. Still, quite a shame about the trade method, GGG stubbornly cling to.
"
Vennto wrote:

The fact is: They have a very clear stance on it, and I really don´t get why every 2nd fresh forum-dude needs to post a rambling, unprofessional freaking manifesto about it - it won´t change, learn to live with it - we had this topic a hundred times.

But who are you saying this to?

If they are a fresh forum dude, then they won't be reading this note in another two weeks for the next thread.

I think your own argument proves how much a problem trade is and how much hubris GGG has to not fix it.

If everyone and their mother thinks its worth the time to write a manifesto about, then um, gee, what do you think, maybe it is a serious problem?

Also, the trade threads, they wont change, learn to live with them. (Was that satisfying advice?)
PoE will not have an AH, can't say why. Maybe we'll see something like this in PoE2
Hello, I would like you buy your Omega leet necklace/belt hybrid of the headstars of elemental gem bonuses the stolen mod flask bonus belt in bag 416 Line 74
Squares A745 A746 B745 B746
I am willing to pay the required price of 72 alchemist orbs, 44 Chromatic orbs 118 fusings 3 Exalts 15 blacksmiths stones
Please respond
Please respond
Please respond
please respond
I showed you my currency now answer me!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info