How does GGG make money

Let me tell you how this works. You see the corporations fund GGG. And then GGG goes out, and the Corporations sit back, and they are all corperationy... and they make money. *stares off into the distance*

+1 internets to anyone that gets the reference.
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Apr 8, 2013, 4:50:32 PM
You can make a lot of money with microtransactions. I know people who spent over $1000 on LoL. And there are already a lot of people who spent $1000 or more on PoE :)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
VxC68 wrote:
As far as I know Riot is doing just fine with the same model.

you cant' compare riot with GGG
also you cant' compare LoL to PoE

in both riot wins by miles
When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself
I really really hope they make enough money with their f2p model. This is the game I have waited years for, haven't played anything else since the release of OB, and I intend playing it for years to come. Would suck so hard if things went downhills due to not enough income and would also provide the proof for other gaming companies that you can't make money with a fair payment model...quite a bad precedent. :P
Usually the way these games work is that 1-2% of the population pay a TON of money, a decent amount pay a little bit and a lot of people pay nothing.

Most of the $ is made from that 2%. I know some dude to dropped like $20,000 on a certain microtransaction game a few years ago. He was fortunate to not really be concerned with money so he used it on the hobbies he enjoyed. There's a lot of people like this.

It's a #s game. If PoE has 150,000 active users you can assume like 2,000 of them dropped some serious money on the game. If PoE can generate 2,000 new players a month then you potentially have 30 more of those people who don't really care about throwing down $1000 for diamond support and then occasionally dropping some more for whatever.
I'm glad they don't have pay-to-win items. But i'd pay big cash though for bigger inventory space.
Since the beginning of February, I have spent $105. I consider myself relatively average. Some people have paid a lot more than me, and others nothing. If this was a standard purchase game or a game that is purchase with sub, I still feel that in these three months they have made more from me with microtransactions.

There is a downside though. Personally, I "vote" with my wallet. If I am not happy, I just won't pay. With this model I can still play though, so if I mildly unhappy about something I will play but not spend any money. This is where I am at, today, but tomorrow I may be tickled pink and ready to spend money.

In the end, they have still made $105 off of me in three months, so if I stay mad and leave or don't spend any more money, I doubt they will care. Basically, purchase or microtransactions, they still make money without relying on happy people to keep subbed.
- Rose

Perandus, Hardcore, Standard, and Races
Solo - Self-Found, since Jan 2013
Actually Free2Play is the best model. More and more gaming companies realized it and the last few years. There are many games that could charge money but do not because they would make less money.

Free2Play just attracts much more people than something you gotta pay for. And if the game is good many people stay and even if they just buy a little bit its still more in total. And GGG did everything right. No Pay2Win, just cosmetics. Thats how it should be although they probably get less money i guess.
IGN = Ghalamir

My Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/161047/page/1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info