Freeze Mine

"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
If it isn't affecting magic and rare mobs, it's probably due to not "simulating" enough cold damage. Freezing duration depends on the amount of damage done vs maximum health of the target. While Freeze Mine doesn't actually do any damage, the freeze duration still depends on the amount of damage listed.

If the freeze duration was going to be less than 300ms, it doesn't occur at all, which is probably what you're seeing. I bet if you found a magic or rare siren spawn, it would work briefly due to the lower life.

Ah thank you. I think I actually saw it freeze a rare mob earlier today, however briefly! I found the skill gem for it in Ruthless so I guess I just needed to level it up.
Way too slow and clunky to be useful. You should be able to launch it (even better if you can aim where) and shouldn't have to trigger it.
"
Ohtee wrote:
Way too slow and clunky to be useful. You should be able to launch it (even better if you can aim where) and shouldn't have to trigger it.

Agree completely.
"
Ohtee wrote:

I third this. I was quite excited when I first acquired this skill, as I was enjoying Ice Spear and Fire Trap already, and seeing a skill that looked like it would combine elements of both looked like fun. Then I discovered I could only drop the trap at my feet, and had to manually trigger it. My dreams of extending my kiting techniques with a new tool were dispelled. I would much prefer seeing this be a throwable mine that triggers when touched by a mob like Fire Trap.

If the guaranteed freezing effect is too powerful to allow for three at a time to be out, perhaps the number could be trimmed down to one or two at a time, maybe with a bit larger of an AoE to compensate. Alternatively, the freeze could have a chance to fail and only chill instead. That would still be quite useful and worth deploying for crowd control purposes, even when you miss the setup for shattering a frozen mob.

As it is now, after experimenting with it for a few levels, I took it off my hotbar and banked it in the stash.

-Red Queen
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Malice wrote:
Thanks mark.

I was playing around with this skill, and it was pretty fun to use. I didn't expect the detonation skill to have a cast time though. Is the detonation skill affected by cast speed mods?
Yes. Detonate Mines is a spell (albeit one you get in a slightly unusual way), and is affected by the things that affect spells (not spell damage - the detonate spell itself does no damage, it just triggers the mines, and they do damage, etc affected by relevant stats)

I have my non mouse skills assigned to WASD and Space. This forces me to click the detonate skill because it is auto assigned to "D". Can I rebind this somewhere?
" ... to let them know the game isn’t going to be very fair from here on out."
- Qarl
"
Panda413 wrote:
I have my non mouse skills assigned to WASD and Space. This forces me to click the detonate skill because it is auto assigned to "D". Can I rebind this somewhere?
Yes, in the keybinding options.
I've got a bug here with the Freeze Mine in the current Beta that may also concern other mine-like skills.
If you press the "detonate mines" button (D) twice, then the animation of the character will be done two times although at the second time there are no more mines to detonate.

The main thing why this is so annoying is the even higher grade of clumsiness of this skill while you are in a combat. Freeze mines are ok if you have your rare/boss with few mobs around it and want to duel the rare/boss, without lesser enemies wind you up. But as the freeze status doesn't last that long you cant have much distance to your enemies. And if you are hit while the animation for detonating mines is shown, then it is countered, what makes you automatically press the button more often from the beginning and then you die, cause you can neither escape nor attack while in the middle of a raging mob.

Next character will be an shadow skilled toward greater AoE, fast movement and more focused on magic skills. Summoned mobs would also be great hm... Love this "skill it yourself" system :)
Also thought that this mine perfeclty fits in my freeing built. But actually it is to bad, to occupie any skill slot with it.

Laying speed is ok. I can live with that. But that the detonation just doesnt happen in a blink of an eye, but rly needs such a long animation, makes it for me totally unuseable. In the meantime (laying the mine PLUS detonating it) I could do more efficient stuff.

What rly would help: Kill the animation for Detonate, and perhaps give the area radius a little boost.

Last edited by WUlf1337 on Aug 24, 2012, 4:10:59 AM
Totaly useless skill. Because animtion on Detonate longer then Freeze duration after detonate. I tried to detoante group of enemys and they unfreeze and begin to hit mee faster, then animation of detonation ends.

I think that gem need lvl, i lelel up it 4-5 times , but it works same.

I think way to make this skill viable is to make Detonate Instacasting without interruption any other actions.

Radius and deploy time seems to big too, but its ok. Just fix Detonate pls.

Problems
Similar to many others in this thread; when you try to detonate the mine, pressing the "D" button twice will make your character detonate it twice. So there is the first boom and then you're stuck for another detonation.

How I Use Freeze Mine
I actually like that you can't just toss freeze mine everywhere and just freeze and use it as easy as fire trap. That seems like it'd be way too easy to me since freezing monsters is very very useful (and will be nerfed in PvP). I don't just lay freeze mine down so I can run away and freeze monsters. My strategy as a Shadow is to use Whirling Blades. I use it through some enemies and lay down a mine. Then I use it back through the enemies and lay down another mine (by now they are pretty much dead with just two whirling blades though). I also might use Flicker Strike here and there. This is good while in boss fights and when you are surrounded by lots of hard monsters because they are damaged a lot and there is a field of freeze mines everywhere. When I'm ready I detonate them all and the whole area freezes! It works on bosses albeit at low levels with low cold damage buffs it only works for small amount of time. I use a cold aura so mine lasts a long time on normal monsters, but I'm only 30+.

It sounds like this is a lot of time spent to just detonate a lot of mines, but sometimes I just put one down. Sometimes only two. I use it seamlessly with Whirling blades... unless I press "D" twice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info