Corona virus

"
If you're not scared yet, I think there's something wrong with you.

Anyway, other than reports of morons going partying because apparently Covid-19 doesn't kick in until people are told it does, there's not much news today. As I expected, the growth rate is no longer big news, just a matter of mathematical course. Australia appears a LITTLE beneath the exponential curve, but the US certainly is obeying the predicted model. Like I said, not news.

Thousands of Hillsong cultists had a nice big convention in North-west Sydney this weekend. I hope they all hugged and shook hands and praised God. Not because I want them to die; I want them to get infected, get sick, and then recover. I mean, if they won't self-quarantine, they might as well self-inoculate, give or take. Barely news.

So I'll be killing shit until something noteworthy pops up.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 15, 2020, 2:16:15 AM
"
The_Impeacher wrote:
This is an amazing article explaining 'flattening the curve' https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
First, Arnold Schwarzenegger in politics. Then cops giving out £800 fines for naughty words. Recently, the three shells over toilet paper. And now high fives with actual contact considered vulgar?

Welcome to San Angeles.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 15, 2020, 2:48:58 AM
Handshakes: Bad
-- Aggressive
-- Sweaty
-- High chance of virus transmission
-- Sometimes require spitting into palms first

Elbow bumps: Okay
-- Still kind of aggressive
-- minimal skin contact
-- Very low chance of virus transmission
-- Cool, but mostly stand-offish

Bowing: VERY YES INDEED
-- Only passive-aggressive
-- Zero body contact
-- Extremely low chance of virus transmission
-- Suspenseful: Are you showing deep respect, or planning to cut each other to pieces after emitting a great cry of rage?
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 15, 2020, 3:12:54 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I don't really think Charan should be scared of this either. It's understandable, certainly, but not quite right, because if your own mortality is a danger to the meaning of your life, then there will ultimately be no meaning to your life.

People change their behaviour when faced with risk. This is based on the assumption that individuals are motivated to change behaviors to reduce their individual health risks. Countries that take aggressive measures are more successful in slowing down the spread and what this ‘flattening the curve’ is about; Slow down and stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Fear compel us to avoid dying.

"

Astoundingly, Abe Shinzo is sticking to his guns over the Olympics and refuses to declare a state of emergency. Well, he might get his Neo-Tokyo Olympics but no one is going to be there. One image comes to mind...

Shinzo probably want to avoid an hit to the Economy. Could be fun to see who would be going, who would not. It would be even worse off than cancellation if their Games is a no-go and people aren't going.
No duh? Of course he's motivated by money -- $12bn USD spent already, give or take.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-olympics/japan-says-olympics-on-track-as-abe-and-trump-talk-on-coronavirus-idUSKBN20Z3VL

But even if he does get Covid-19 under control in Japan by July (pretty much zero chance of that), many other countries will be in its full grip. And I'm not sure if you know much about the Olympics, but they sort of require a large number of countries to participate, else they become a serious farce.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 15, 2020, 3:42:51 AM
Just stop buying all toilet paper you freaks.
^ this.

Rinse your arsehole with water.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
The best part of quarantained borders is we can keep the saisonal constructionworkers and put em to use on Saturdays and Sundays if they want.
Sucks if you have to cross several states and these inbetween don´t value your familylife.

Unless we run out of Screws, hopefully our machinery isn´t affected by this virus, it would be terrible if something happens to the 0,1% that produce screws.
Luckily we have warehouses and don´t rely on a just in time production like Toiletpaper.

Also because masks don´t work well enough, you are recommended to sneeze in your elbows as they are the most unlikely contactpoint, according to Knigge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
"
Handshakes: Bad
-- Aggressive
-- Sweaty
-- High chance of virus transmission
-- Sometimes require spitting into palms first

I spend 10 hours a day taking money from people. My hands are getting very dry from using sanitizer constantly.

Apart from that, I'm agreeing with Scrotie about the fear. Try not to be afraid. Fear is bad, as it makes us make poor choices. Not being afraid doesn't stop you from being able to take the situation seriously.
Oh, and regarding the whole "flattening the curve"/herd immunity/"social distancing" thing:

The conclusion that people who have been exposed to a virus become immune to it is based upon the premise that the exposed humans develop antibodies that are targeted against that particular virus. This is not always the case because of the potential for antigenic drift — that is, mutations that cause changes that enable the virus to evade immune recognition by said antibodies.

Antigenic drift is part of the reason why it is possible to get sick from the same influenza virus multiple times in a single lifetime, and why there is a new flu vaccine developed twice each year, rather than there being just a single flu vaccine that wipes out influenza forever. Influenza A also has antigenic shift (a kind of super-drift) working for it, but all RNA viruses, to include coronaviruses, are capable of rapid small mutations. Coronaviruses notably have the longest RNA strands of any RNA viruses, maximizing their drift potential while not giving them shift potential.

Put simply, if you recover from COVID19, the immunity you get from recovery is only going to be effective if the number of person-to-person "jumps" the virus takes before being reintroduced to you is limited below a certain number. Given enough infections, the virus will have enough time to mutate around your antibodies. This may be enough to completely overwhelm the "social distancing" strategy.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 15, 2020, 7:33:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info