About polishing, incremental changes, contrast and the mood of the game

nevermind
Last edited by Tanet on Apr 14, 2012, 3:47:07 PM
That was a great read and some excellent feedback.

GGG are doing a great job, and I know they don't have the resources to craft everything to perfection, but I agree with the OP's general idea of "less is more" in terms of making fewer, but more memorable areas.
"
Lachdanan wrote:
"
However if you have ideas on random fx things to add to areas just like the ship graveyard has please tell me :)

black shadow fireflys/whisps for the very lower parts of the pyramid (waterfallcavelvl2).
And an animation for the act2-boss where he soaks all of those fireflys up to himself through the 4 holes in the new bossroom.
Connecting the boss stronger to the pyramidsetting, "was he imprisoned there or is it the pyramidbuilding itself".

Sure!

Although I cant comment on this much at this time :P you may see why later
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
Russell, what do you mean when you say that you lack tech to do certain effects? Is it code that still has to be written and implemented, or some kind of license stuff, or limitations of the game's engine?
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Apr 23, 2012, 4:59:31 PM
Ahh hard to explain.

Pretty much when I need more tech its more features for the engine that I can use. As an effects artist 60% of my job if working off what the engine has inside it. When it doesn't have certain features I need like trail , beam geo , new particle emitter types and shapes and shaders. Also much much more but I could go on forever. There is always more tech that can be added.

So generally when you guys ask for an engine features or shader that we don't have I will just class it as tech. Rather than going in and explaining exactly what we need and so on.

Hope that answers your questions
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
russell why you no code tech yourself

that programming thing cant be that hard everybody and their monkey is doing it these days ;)
"
Russell wrote:
Ahh hard to explain.

Pretty much when I need more tech its more features for the engine that I can use. As an effects artist 60% of my job if working off what the engine has inside it. When it doesn't have certain features I need like trail , beam geo , new particle emitter types and shapes and shaders. Also much much more but I could go on forever. There is always more tech that can be added.

So generally when you guys ask for an engine features or shader that we don't have I will just class it as tech. Rather than going in and explaining exactly what we need and so on.

Hope that answers your questions

It does, thanks for the explanation. Let's hope you get more tech to work with in the future. :)

@Neonexe I hope you are trolling...
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
This thread is great! This kind of interaction with the community is why I love indie games, and this game in particular. It doesn't just feel like another game to digest and move on, it seems like something to get passionate about, and want to get involved. I myself went to art school, did game development for 5 years, and now work as a GUI designer. This game and it's community has been so motivating for me to pursue my indie development dreams. I'm working on learning programming, which, I must say, is not something:
"
everybody and their monkey is doing
:P

Anyways, more on topic, I just got into this game over the weekend, and had to support it and get involved. There are some great points brought up here by dust7. Once I go through a few times, I look forward to analyzing things more clearly. For now I can see a lot of what he is talking about being accomplished with atmosphere. Lighting, and sound will go a long way in a game with this theme.

Again, thank you GGG, and community for putting up a tremendous and extraordinary effort that has fostered such passion from everyone involved, and listening.
Last edited by theSchap on May 15, 2012, 2:21:03 AM
Dusk hit a lot of points spot on, but I'd like to elaborate on how much potential there is for 'eerieness', and hopefully throw out a few good ideas.

When I say that, I mean the gameplay could be a whole lot more tense than it is. You've already got the mechanisms available for suspenseful gameplay, but throw those chances away in favour of another boring open field with slow zombies.

Dusk noted that there is almost no point in the coves area, why not have it as Merveil's first line of defense to her cave? Fill it with piles of dead bodies everywhere. Introduce a Necromancer like monster, with very slow move speed but heaps of hitpoints and ES. Give it a skill, 'mass resurection'. He targets an area and begins chanting, suddenly you've got to take him down before all hell breaks loose and you're fighting off hundreds of fresh undead. Make each one drop a piece of a key, which opens the gate to the next area.

How about the all-flame quest. Good potential there, delving into the belly of an abandoned ship. Fill the dungeon with locked cages containing all sorts of dead monstrosities inside. When you reach the end of the cave and grab the allflame, which is sitting on a pedestal of sorts, there is a massive rumble and you hear the dungeon come alive. You've gotta fight your way back to the surface.

My main point of emphasis is that areas need to feel individual, so give them a purpose!
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
Last edited by lukeiy on May 17, 2012, 11:13:29 AM
"
dust7 wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
Dust7: There are scheduled improvements coming for many years. Many of your comments are addressed by planned improvements. It's mandatory for Act Three to be ready by Open Beta. It's merely nice if Act One and Two have been improved by then. We're working on it as hard we can, but there's plenty of time in the future to finish it.

I can't comment on specific art issues, but I have full confidence in our art team and am very pleased with both their work so far and their plans to improve it in the future.

...I was bursting with when playing through certain areas of the current game.

And you were right...is the first impressions that count.

I can add some of the games wich I think its a good example we could learn from.
(Note: I want you to focus on every detail of environment and art design and ofc sound aspects)

If you want to know what i'm talking about:
-------------------------------------------

Alice,Madness Returns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m7imzRsrts&feature=relmfu

Alan Wake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ec2YpCcHw0

Grim Fandango:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyyhA8R0E80

Magicka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99cT6Hfu7EU
Last edited by deadcombo on May 24, 2012, 6:45:28 AM

Report Forum Post