[3.24] Frostbolt/Ice Nova Hierophant | 100m DPS | All Content

i am wondering something about controlled destruction.. why do we use it aswell as take so many crit nodes? what is the crit for if not ice nova?
Rarity: Unique
Marylene's Fallacy
Lapis Amulet
--------
Requirements:
Level: 40
--------
Item Level: 70
--------
+28 to Intelligence (implicit)
--------
+105 to Accuracy Rating
+238% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier
+100 to Evasion Rating
14% increased Light Radius
40% less Critical Strike Chance
Critical Strikes have Culling Strike
--------
"Marylene stroked the medallion at her breast
before every duel and every cast of the die."
- Victario, the People's Poet

Does this item worth use? I just tried it, in hopes that +238% Crit Multi (much wow!). Can't say it gives a feeling that you put 238% crit multi on...:( Or that is how it works ?
You want to crit. You get so many novas that the reduced crit from controlled destruction is fine, you get plenty of crit on the tree + power charges, you should easily have 50% crit before controlled destruction. Marylene's fallacy is LESS crit chance which is TERRIBLE and not worth the crit multi, you already get a good amount and it's mostly gonna be overkill anyway, much better to reliably crit even on bosses to keep them frozen.

I'm permafreezing metamorph/map bosses with just a 5L pledge at lvl 75 with a bunch of 1-5c items in other slots with 11k ehp (4500 hp 2k ES 5k mana). Big HP pool can be misleading for ppl unused to it, you're not all that tanky until you get some other good mitigation, but you're still tanky enough that it should be pretty hard to die.

Thanks for the build, will try slowly buying gear toward "standard build". The clear is as you said fairly meh but that's to be expected.
Very Very happy with this build so far. I'm going to grab the ele immunity and arcane surge on hit instead of endurance charges. Any ideas for a 4th gem on frost bolt to replace arcane surge?

Also are people having more success with Volley or GMP? I'm having a hard time telling which works better.
Champion Bladestorm Super Tank - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2785401
Last edited by GonzoHarratec on Dec 15, 2019, 3:15:27 PM
GMP gives much better coverage especially in delve nodes for example.
Really liking this build so far, the only really clunky thing is the mana sustain in maps. Lots of spamming your mana flask key which gets distracting pretty quickly.

EDIT: How are people making their money so far? Mapping is pretty tough without gear, I was thinking of spamming some uber lab.
Last edited by aastr on Dec 15, 2019, 7:29:41 PM
"
aastr wrote:
Really liking this build so far, the only really clunky thing is the mana sustain in maps. Lots of spamming your mana flask key which gets distracting pretty quickly.

EDIT: How are people making their money so far? Mapping is pretty tough without gear, I was thinking of spamming some uber lab.

How much mana do you have and are you running clarity? I haven't taken MoM yet, but will probably hold off, I have almost dropped the mana flask because I use it so infrequently.
Champion Bladestorm Super Tank - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2785401
"
GonzoHarratec wrote:
"
aastr wrote:

How much mana do you have and are you running clarity? I haven't taken MoM yet, but will probably hold off, I have almost dropped the mana flask because I use it so infrequently.

I took MoM pretty early, around level 40-50. But haven't had any problems with mana sustain, make sure you have the extra mana regen in all the nodes around the map. That paired with clarity helps a lot.

I got lucky today and dropped a The Demon card from a stacked deck so got my Pledge of Hands and 5 linked it, basically absolutely rolling through T6-9 maps now including the hard metamorph bosses.
"
ploxirion wrote:
I'm not sure if it's a real *12 DPS. I mean, yeah shotgun isn't accounted so there's definitely a *2 there but what about the *6.1 because no lockdown ? I perfectly understand that no lockdown allow you to cast a second time before the repeats of the first cast are done.

If the repeats mimic the initial cast speed, then we are far away from the *4 multiplier.

Let's have a breakdown on how this work if i get this right. Let's assume you cast Ice Nova without interruptions. The sequence of damage to get the right multiplier obviously starts at the first cast of Ice Nova and ends at the last repeat of the first cast.

Cast1 / Repeat1 + Cast2 / Repeat1 + Repeat2 + Cast3 / Repeat1 + Repeat2 + Repeat3 + Cast4

As shown above the x4 mutliplier only applies during the last repeat of the first cast. If we continue to cast here is what happens :

Repeat2 + Repeat3 + Repeat4 + Cast 5 / Repeat3 + R4 + R5 + C6 / R4 + R5 + R6 + C7 / ... / ... / RN + R(N+1) + R(N+2) + C(N+3)

As we keep casting, we effectively keep a *4 at each repeat. The thing is you'd need to cast for minutes to reach a number close to that *4 multiplier. As soon as you stop casting for moving / casting frostbolt or other stuff etc you break that multiplier.

So basically, for packs you're close to only a *2 multiplier while for bossing maybe a *3 instead of a *4.

All in all a more realistic multiplier is x2 x2 x1,525 for trash packs (so *6.1) and *2*3*1.525 for bossing (so *9.15).

I left out the nuances for easier explanation, but there are additional details in the notes to that slide. The 12x is an approximate multiplier for sustained boss DPS. No you do not need to cast for minutes to reach it, it's more like 2 seconds (time between first echo-last echo). This is the ramp-up time. And yes, having to cast Frostbolt takes away some of that multiplier. Let's say Frostbolt cast time is 0.3 seconds and we're running on a 1.5 second cycle: 0.3 seconds Frostbolt, 1.2 seconds Ice Nova, repeat. (These are conservative numbers.) That yields an 80% DPS multiplier. However, PoB doesn't account for Cold Snap Bonechill which is a 120% DPS multiplier. So I decided they these two factors roughly cancel, and 12x PoB DPS is about the right number to use.
I'm glad people are enjoying the build. Sorry that Pledge of Hands price shot up on a supposedly "budget" build. But it does seem to be dropping a bit now.

"
TrafficLi9HT wrote:
Why do you use faster casting on cold snap? just for convenience?

Yes, small QoL improvement.

"
Ergolic wrote:
Do you leech ES?

ES leech comes from Heart of Ice anointment in the Standard Build. The Budget Build does not leech ES. It's not super necessary b/c your ES pool is small. If you do want ES sustain and Heart of Ice is too expensive, you can: grab a node like Ethereal Feast, or take Wicked Ward, or replace Dousing flask suffix with Draining.

"
GonzoHarratec wrote:
Very Very happy with this build so far. I'm going to grab the ele immunity and arcane surge on hit instead of endurance charges. Any ideas for a 4th gem on frost bolt to replace arcane surge?

Also are people having more success with Volley or GMP? I'm having a hard time telling which works better.

GMP >> Volley in my opinion. You can play around and see what you like though.

You should not replace the Arcane Surge Support linked to Frostbolt since the Arcane Blessing node only provides Level 1 Arcane Surge. By using a Level 7 Arcane Surge linked to Frostbolt you get 3% more Spell Damage for very little investement compared to just the ascendancy node.

If you did end up with a spare Frostbolt link, I'd suggest Power Charge on Critical (if not using Skyforth) or perhaps Culling Strike.

"
GonzoHarratec wrote:

In budget/standard builds the mana flask is primarily there for MoM hits. You will not need it if you're just casting spells or have no MoM. I strongly recommend Enduring prefix on Mana Flask, you can press it together with your other flasks and not have to track anything.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info