General Gem Discussion

The gem system could get some improvement, the leveling of gems is redudant like most skills in other rpgs, with the change you got it in gem instead of build in tree interface. We get quality that give static +x to y stat increase, we get level that works basicaly the same.

I would personaly like to see each quality point give 1 additional RANDOM stat, not static. You would need luck to get what you really need, would take you more time and it would work as gem sink, since now if you get 20% you have nothing else to do!

Leveling of gem should be rudced alot (alot means "why is taking so long?!").
Max level of gem should be reduced to around 5.
Each level of gem give you choice of 1 out of 3 upgrades, really noticable upgrades. I MEAN REALLY NOTICABLE upgrades, changes skill alot, giving players giant build differences even when using exactly same gem compositions.

Another problem with gems is making most skill underpowred comparing to one in your set, the one that can be in 6 linked sloted armor where others cant since game dont allow you.

Main skill should get DEBUFF the more support gems you link to it ABOVE TWO, so 3 or more supports cause drawbacks aswell. This should add some thinking/trading to game instead of making one OP skill.
Last edited by herflik on Oct 25, 2012, 3:08:50 PM
I dont think it would be a good decision to have only 5 increases on your gems/skills over your char's whole level range of 100 - even if the upgrades are strong/'noticable'. In POE, the skills are not designed to be replaced with stronger abilities as you proceed, but to be improved by supports (with own increasing strengths).

The drawbacks of using a lot of supports to improve a skill, are the raising mana costs and the general need for high linked equipment - I see no need for further debuffing there.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
I dont think it would be a good decision to have only 5 increases on your gems/skills over your char's whole level range of 100 - even if the upgrades are strong/'noticable'. In POE, the skills are not designed to be replaced with stronger abilities as you proceed, but to be improved by supports (with own increasing strengths).

The drawbacks of using a lot of supports to improve a skill, are the raising mana costs and the general need for high linked equipment - I see no need for further debuffing there.

Only 5 is better than current 0, because the 20 lvls we have now are basicaly no change to your build at all.

It only look like this game have giant diversity in builds, but there are only few viable ones, real ones.
Instead of having fun factors in gem like side effect, +now your skill freeze or +flak granade effect or + projectile ricochet, we have only +10 dmg +20 hp with is EVERYWHERE.

The game have limited real effect comparing to pure +stat mods. You got tree full of pure stat mods, where only keystones make REAL DIVERSITY. You got support gems where maybe multiprojectile is a good example of how the support gems should look like, most of them sux in this, like "add fire damage", " increase aoe" etc.
You already got that from gear, what for 3 other systems that provide exactly the same thing to game??

Like i said, its just illusion of having real diversity in game, its just overcomplicating simple things in first glance of game for new people.

Mana cost is the worst limit mechanic for skills ever designed. With good build you dont even notice existance of mana in this game after 40lvl or so.
Last edited by herflik on Oct 28, 2012, 9:06:27 AM
I disagree. The game has huge diversity, and it's not just an illusion.

The quality for gem does not spice things up, but the game diversity doesn't depend on quality.

The interaction between passives (not just keystones), equips(not just uniques), and gem combo (not just support gems), gives huge diversity, more than any game I have played.

Not just keystones:
A passive tree that focuses entirely on critical chance is very different from one that focuses on elemental damage, or both.

Not just uniques:
A 600 es chest can free up your shield slot, and allowing dual wield.

Not just support gems:
Aura, buff, totems, traps, and even interchanging different skills allows diversity.

Mana cost is there to limit usage, but even the ways to get around it gives diversity.
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
I just want to pipe and say there's not much in the manner of 2h skills that focus on cutting/hacking/slashing. 2h Axes and swords need a skill or two that revolves around sharp edges. Leap slamming with a sword? Knocking back enemies with an axe using HS? Meh. I want less thwack and more hack.
Last edited by Crossflip on Nov 16, 2012, 12:42:25 PM
the fact that you can only have one 6L armor means you're only ever going to have one best skill? it might be nice if every active gem was also a support gem!

so if you were to link say lightning strike and flicker strike both in your 6L with 4supports then LS would gain +5% attack speed or something from flicker strike and flicker strike would gain say maybe +5% damage from lightning strike? making it more valid to consider linking multiple active hotkeyed gems in the same link series, and not just linking 3aura's to 1 reduced mana cost gem in a helm?

OR more arbitrarily limit each item to a max of X supports and Y actives? so say no more than 2or3 active gems per item and no more than maybe 2or3 supports per item so that the 6linker is forced to mix and match a lot giving you many skills all equally well upgraded to alternate from on a use by use case?
A 6L is really hard to get, and depending on item type and required socket colors, a good 5L can be quite expensive. I don't really feel it's necessary to make these less valuable.

Making it more valuable to link two active gems to one set of support gems could be interesting, but I wonder how you'd convey this information to new players. It sounds a bit messy.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Making it more valuable to link two active gems to one set of support gems could be interesting, but I wonder how you'd convey this information to new players. It sounds a bit messy.

I would say that this could be similar to synergies in D2. For example, Cleave:

"Receives +2% Attack Speed bonus for each Attack Skill Gem linked"
"Receives +30 Acuracy for each Green Skill Gem linked"
etc.
wrong topic.oops
Last edited by askael on Nov 28, 2012, 6:10:58 PM
Hi there! I was wondering if there are plans to introduce more fire intelligence skills. There are only 3, fireball, firestorm, and flammability. I wanted to make pyromancer witch, but was disheartened by the lack of fire spells. The other two elements have many more skills to play with.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info