Path of Exile Talent Competition

Hi everyone!

I decided to make a lightbox for the talent competition. It's made of A3 sheets of paper and LEDs. You can find the photos and videos of the working process below. I hope you will like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Ysf-OHq1A

Hi,

For the Path of Exile Talent Competition I designed 2 new game mechanics that spice up unique items in Path of exile and can be introduced in a new league.

Current state of unique items:
When an unique item drops I’m not as exited as I used to be. Some of the current unique items are interesting and build-enabling, however most of them we just vendor or are not even worth picking up.

With this new mechanic, unique items have a chance to be something else, something useful in a differed way and players will be exited again when one drops.

Game mechanic 1: Unique souls
Unique items have a chance to drop with a soul. If you wear 2 unique items with the same soul you unlock the first power of a soul. If you wear 3 unique items with the same soul you unlock its seconds power, and so on.

Every unique item in game can drop with any soul, but no more then one soul. All the souls are themed with there own unique set of powers and bonuses.

Eventually you have to make difficult choice between a sick rare amulet or a weak unique amulet with a soul which will unlock your third soul power. In my opinion, making though choices is what defines a good Rpg.

Now we need to make those soul sets more interesting.

Game mechanic 2: Time triggers
When completing a soul set, thus unlocking its final power you can trigger a special ability. These special abilities are colored in green, orange or red and can trigger occasionally. What this means is that they can occur randomly while playing. They have a chance to be triggered in a certain time interval. Like a 5% chance to trigger every 2 minutes.

Time trigger effects can be positive (green), neutral (orange) or negative (red); depending on the other stats from the soul bonus stats to compensate.

These effects will be kind of mysterious to the player and their won’t be any additional information about what the trigger effect actually does. The only information that is attached to the item is a name set in a color that tells the player if it’s positive or negative.

In the example below I will give you a few time trigger examples with extra information:

Return of the vaal (green) (Activates an Equipped vaal skill, without consuming any souls)
Justice of maroon (orange) (summons an random invasion boss with 100% increased life that fights against players and enemies)
Wrath of darkness (red) (loses 20% HP every second for 10 seconds)

It could be fun to introduce these new game mechanics in a new league and give unique items a 50% chance to drop with a soul. Reducing this chance when implementing it in the core game.

I created an article with visual examples of some unique items with souls and completion bonuses. --> http://www.spirestorm.com/path-of-exile-talent-competition-2-new-game-mechanics/

On a side note:
These game mechanics can be pretty interesting from a business perspective for GGG. Players now have a pretty good reason to buy more stash space, hoarding all those unique items.

Last edited by Blitzy7 on Jan 14, 2017, 11:55:12 AM
Humble Hideout.
I hope we see some ho improvements in 3.0 ( Navali ho, better interface and other)

simple video https://youtu.be/Bhtm6wokdSI

More screeenshots

Spoiler

Hi, my entry: Piety doll!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Stone golem at the Crossroads.

I wrote a song! I tried keeping it to the Path of Exile theme with odd instrumentation to portray the desolation of the world and that maybe they play on the few instruments that actually survived through the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R13ZFFqoOgA

I also made this image to go along with the song as can be seen in the video :)

Greetings fellow exiles!
Ever since "Ascendancy" launched, I fell in love with the statue in Sarn (Lady Justice?). It has been inspiring to watch, and definitely one of my favorite PoE assets/visuals.
I learned a lot from playing my witch then, and the contest allowed to show my appreciation for PoE in the form of digital art.

Here is my entry :
(Right Click , View Image to see in higher resolution)

Made using a combination of 3D packages & Photoshop.
Should it be appreciated by GGG/community, the artwork is available in hi-resolution for printing.
I wish I had more time to make a proper looking wallpaper pack out of this, but my time was very limited during the contest. (Would love to know if anyone still want WP's)

Inspiration :
Spoiler

Original reference I wanted to follow

In-game screnshot

This is where I got the sparks inspiration - still love the effect it has on my hideout!

Hope you like it and thanks for viewing :)
Depressed Atziri tatoo design :3

Path of Exile burning in breach lord's fire.

Shaper itself disturbed with breach lord's rising fires.
Still one of my favourite zones :-D

"Twilight Strand"

If the title at the bottom is an issue (I just wasn't sure how, uh, clear the subject actually is), here's a

version without

Additional context

Yes, coastal zones need more barnacles. Barnacles are cool. ;-D
Last edited by Alysma on Jan 14, 2017, 6:34:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info