Harbingers

I don't know where to ask this question, but thought people here might have some insight. Is there anyone else that is completely confused about why Harbingers cost so much. I seriously don't know any other class in the game that is as severely punished when it comes to buying their top tier items. I play in hardcore league and have been playing every day since the league started multiple hours, have even found 2 exalted. I have managed to save 11 exalted currently and 500 fusing, I have a 5 link 350 pdps 8.8 crit bow, but my plan was to buy a 400 pdps bow and try to 6 link it. The only two bows that were listed for over 400 pdps harbingers both were already 6 linked and the seller wanted 30-45 exalted orbs. That's outrageous. I'm level 95 now...by the time I have the currency to buy such a bow, I will be level 100 which sort of defeats the purpose. The bow is supposed to get me to level 100 easier not be the bow I wear after I get there.
Is there any other class in the game that is asked to pay 30-45 exalted for their 6 link. I look through 6 links on poe.trade and even for nice rare 6 links...it's only 20 exalted. Who picked Harbinger bows and decided "*&%$ those guys."? Somehow poe players have it in their collective mindset that Harbingers alone should be paid premium prices for but everyone else's elite items shouldn't cost as much. Take phys wands for example, I have one of the best phys wands in the league for sale, it's not worth more than 2-4 exalted. And no one wants to even pay that when they ask about it. 6 linking costs 14 exalted if you do it with fusing at current prices, so a 30 exalted bow, they are basically saying the bow itself is worth 16 exalted. How is an elite bow worth 16 exalted and an elite phys wand is worth barely 2 exalted? Both have the same rarity. Rangers aren't even that popular. only 15% of the league is Rangers, and of those, how many went voltaxic? I have thought about this and I understand why unique 6 links sell for 12-20 exalted, cause the unique is actually more common than a 400 pdps bow. But by the time anyone gets the exalted to pay such an exorbitant price the league will be over. Seriously. In hc already the league is practically dead. My guild and everyone else's guild never even comes online anymore, our guild leaders have league quit and I can't find a NA mapping guild.
But I just don't understand why Harbingers seem to be the most expensive item in the game for elite ones. When other classes elite items 6 linked or not, don't sell for even a fraction of the cost. Why does the poe community have this belief that it's worth that much, and it's worth not selling until 2.5 months into a 3 month league, at that point you might as well save it for regular parent hc league where you can probably make 100 exalted off it, cause that's where all those exalted end up. I just really don't understand how I'm supposed to make that kind of currency anytime before the two month mark unless I happen to be that one player every league who finds a mirror. Just very frustrated at the bow prices in hc, thanks for listening, and any feedback or theories on why this is the case would be great.
I am not fucking reading that until you format it NAIT where the fuck are you format this.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jan 29, 2016, 12:52:39 AM
People are stupid and will follow what ever is popular at the moment thus driving the demand of said items.

Physical tornado shot with harbingers were FOTM for a very long time.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
You made good points. But it's true. You need to format your post better :o

It will convert your forum titles into decorative square badges that use the space next to your forum posts more economically so that you can show off an unlimited number of them at any one time. - GGG, 2018 (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3573673)
Harbingers are like divorces. Yes, they cost a lot. Why? Because they're worth it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
1) Paragraphs are your friends. Use them.

2) The player driven market is driven by supply and demand, and top Harbingers are rare requiring a single specific base item, high item level, and at least good IAS, IPhysDmg%, IPhysDmg, ICrit%, but much desired. They end up commanding top prices in all leagues, HC or otherwise, for good reason. (As your item for comparison, consider that top rare wands can be of any high item level base item type, because the stats on the base item are negligible for the purpose to which it is put to use.)

3) This does not penalize any class. There are no class that has to make that sort of build. No items belong to one class. The Harbinger bow is not a Ranger class item, nor are bow skills Ranger skills. Ranger merely has the easiest access to bow skilltree nodes.

If you want Harbingers to become cheaper such that they don't end up commanding top price in all leagues, all you have is to convince GGG to reduce the value to the player of

a) Crit builds,
b) Ranged builds,
c) Physical damage builds

or to introduce some high crit% unique that can take the place of a high iLvl Harbinger rolled with 4+ specific great mods.

@Nephalim: People are not stupid. On average, people are of average intelligence. :p
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Jan 29, 2016, 3:13:43 AM
easy solution. just get an ilevel 83 harbinger and 6 link + craft it the same way. should be much cheaper, shouldn't it?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
easy solution. just get an ilevel 83 harbinger and 6 link + craft it the same way. should be much cheaper, shouldn't it?

True, and when he's done using it, he can sell it for what he now considers a fair price, doing his bit to bring down prices.

Sounds like a win-win situation.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
wait I thought ranged didnt have to spend anything on gear right? I think youre confusing bows with melee?

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Harbingers are like divorces. Yes, they cost a lot. Why? Because they're worth it.

lol
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

its really just physical harbingers that are expensive
many people havent hopped on the voltaxic train yet. physical harbingers are worthless now...

hell even before voltaxic one of our best guildies always went elemental harbingers rather than physical. got twice the dps for a 10th of the cost. the only reason why physical harbingers were so good in the past was because elemental bows lacked leech and have to offer up a gem slot to the dark gods to work which made their damage not competitive.

Now that the duelist tree has those everything leech nodes there realistically is no reason to bother with physical harbingers right now if you can buy a decently rolled elemental one instead.

im thinking it will take a bit more time for people to realize this.

just get a bow with 3 decent elemental rolls ,an attack speed roll and master on a crit chance roll.

go frenzy /power charges/ crit / elemental instead of physical bow nodes and you have a winner.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Jan 29, 2016, 8:57:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info