[Open] Lightning/Fire/Cold Penetration Gems

So, there is no real possibility to increase your defense against these types gem and getting your resist down to less then 35% when the opponent has really high damage there's really no way to defend yourself unless you can quickly out dps the caster while you're getting bashed by both the caster and a totem or two totems or the caster is just running around.

Resistance decreases is ok, as you can adjust your equipment to stack that type of resist. But you can't really stack +maximum resistance as there's too few sources to get your resist up high enough again to a sufficient amount.

I'm sure this works out well in PvE but perhaps in PvP you could change the Penetration gems to lower resistance instead of maximum resistance?

As it is now I rarely even meet players who uses lower resistance curses because they already have the penetration gem which is sufficient in every case.

That will also make it more interesting while gearing up as you need to stack your resists even more for pvp.

Spoiler
And yes Kiersz, you can "click and move around like a pro", using spells like flicker/leap etc, evading spells that way. That is not the point with penetraion gems being too powerful.
What is needed is the addition of equipment, gems, auras, skills and curses which will debuff or resist to one or 2 types of elemental penetration each. This would even out things and add to the tactical gameplay. A player could have a resist such as this in gear and be forced to adjust another type during certain pvp battles.
those gems already got nerfed when obt start
when it comes to phys def you negate more armor when you hit harder
so i guess there must be some kind mechanic to lower resistance even when they overcapped

why not ?
Last edited by kiersz on Feb 8, 2013, 5:34:39 PM
We should also start to see bosses or yellows with penetration abilities. Another good addition would also be punishment auras or skills. Eg an aura which would make the opponent lose the equivalent in cold or fire resistance when using fire penetration. This punishment should also exist in the penetration gems or auras. Eg when using flamability, lose 1% fire resistance for every 3-4% fire penetrationwhile the curse is active, when using fire penetration gem lose the same, during the spell cast time only.
We also need items (and equivalent mob abilities) or auras to reflect % of elemental damage and curses.
Also maybe auras like "immune to cold damage, you lose 80% damage while the aura is active" or similar.
Also to summarse there ARE already mechanics to avoid penetration (examples from chars who have almost kiled me):
Out-dps:
- Full melee with life steal and/or stun.
- Full melee with perma-stun / cast interruption.
- Full melee with chaos damage.
- Full mele with lots of minios.

Tactical:
- Chaos curse + flee.
- Run around , drink bottles, attack, use an out-dps method, repeat.
- Traps + minions, traps + chaos, traps + out-dps, traps + cold, traps+stun, traps + slow down with curse + totem + elemental.
- Dual totemers, especially lightning, who have the unique godly priviledge to off-screen auto-aim and instant-hit with 100% accuracy.

There are many ways. Problems descibed here are mostly from melees I believe.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info