[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
archzin wrote:
Hello, fellow lazys.

just jumped in to let you know that i am very much enjoying the build as i am sitting in level 74 now. Smashing everything with my moltenstrike Lazy Templar.

Thanks for the update on your progress, archzin! Glad to hear it's going well for you.

I see from your tree that the main difference is getting iron grip and point blank keystones. Do you recall how much your molten strike tooltip DPS went up when you got each of those? During my testing recently, I was curious, but too cheap to spend the regrets to find out. :)

PS Nice axe, you won't do much better as it's 389 DPS. If it had attack speed mod, I'd guess it would be one the best out there. So close....
Hey Sovyn,

Thanks mate for reply. Yes, i would have hit the jackpot if only the axe had 10% attack speed instead of Light radius :P. So close. There are far better 1h weapons out there but damn they cost so much. I will need a mirror drop and then would be interested in trading. :D So far, can't say that i was unlucky with drops as all my gears are mostly self found and a few of them crafted.

Regarding those two keypoints, if i remember correctly, they didn't increase the tooltips at all as they only affect the projectiles. As far i know, tooltip DPS only shows the main hit DPS not the projectiles. The projectile dps increase though can be felt as i jump in to group, attack one and others surrounding it falls fairly quickly. I presently have 305 strength that means with Iron Grip, the projectiles get 61% dmage bonus as melee. Point black just gives 50%-0% bonus to projectiles generating from 0-10 units distance and without AOE increase Molten srike projectiles don't travel beyond that. So i guess, with molten strike, i have nearly as much as projectile AOE DPS as melee single DPS. I didn't calculate it ofc, but playing the maps is so smooth right now. :D

Cheers all.

Last edited by archzin on Jun 6, 2014, 6:21:33 AM
Hi Sovyn, congrats for your guide :) I personally would like to make the tree this way

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAdwCcQSzC2EUTRUgFm8XPhmFGjIaOBo-GtsbrRv6HRQjTSP2JKol3ycvKMUo-ikuKk0s6TWSNuk62D3iPfw_J0A2QYdEckd-SO5KfUrITDVN2E99UWBT31RJVcZW-lhjWNtaSF8_ZU1mnmegbmluqnB9dEF313gNeK55aHy4fyuAVoFvgseExITZh3aI8Yx2jM-PRpBVm4OePKC0ogCkGacIp4SpbqmVq8Wsr7T5tfK3PrfTuJO8n76KvqfAD8AawQTPZdDQ0k3WitfL3Q3jauOf6-7sOO4O7w7v8PAf8azyL_MG8772SPno-tL8xf4K

Do you think it is a good tree? :)
Last edited by Wispo on Jun 8, 2014, 2:24:33 PM
"
Wispo wrote:
Hi Sovyn, congrats for your guide :) I personally would like to make the tree this way

Do you think it is a good tree? :)

Hi Wispo!

The main issue you will run into will be mana problems as you don't have Resolute Technique, therefore your chance to hit till be around 85%. That means that 15% of your attacks will miss, and not leech mana, but the skill cost will still apply, and so your next attack will be just a standard attack, losing substantial efficiency. You can connect your attack skill to blood magic support if you like, but there is still some loss of clearing efficiency due to missing.

I'll comment again later when I have a moment with a detailed stats comparison.
Wispo, here is the detailed comparison:

Yours:

Spoiler
+253 to Strength
+214 to Dexterity
+133 to Intelligence
+106.5 to maximum Mana
+238.5 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
5% of Life Regenerated per Second
286% increased maximum Life
+12% to Chaos Resistance
101% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
33% additional Chance to Block with Shields
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
186% increased Armour
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
50% increased Melee Physical Damage
2% increased Movement Speed
155% increased Defences from equipped Shield
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
+28% to all Elemental Resistances
34% increased maximum Energy Shield
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield
3% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
You take 20% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes
8% increased maximum Mana
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
12% increased Attack Speed
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks
3% increased Effect of Buffs on You
+1% to maximum Fire Resistance
+1% to maximum Cold Resistance
+1% to maximum Lightning Resistance
40% increased Block Recovery
40% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
+26.6% Energy Shield
+50.6% increased Melee Physical Damage
+428 Accuracy Rating
42.8% increased Evasion Rating

Mine:

Spoiler
+313 to Strength
+194 to Dexterity
+93 to Intelligence
+86.5 to maximum Mana
+258.5 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
50% increased Melee Physical Damage
159% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
274% increased maximum Life
96% increased Armour
34% increased maximum Energy Shield
1% of Life Regenerated per Second
12% increased Radius of Area Skills
8% increased Area Damage
+18% to all Elemental Resistances
32% additional Chance to Block with Shields
115% increased Defences from equipped Shield
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield
3% increased Effect of Buffs on You
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
6% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
+8% to Chaos Resistance
Enemies Cannot Leech Life From You
30% increased Attack Speed
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
8% increased maximum Mana
12% increased Physical Damage
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
+18.6% Energy Shield
+62.6% increased Melee Physical Damage
+388 Accuracy Rating
38.8% increased Evasion Rating

Detailed Analysis:

My build has more strength and yours has a little more % life, so we can just call that a wash, although I think mine comes out ahead as base life is higher due to Path of the Warrior notable.

Yours has a little more intelligence so you can level up enfeeble a couple more times. Can't hurt, but not a big thing.

Yours has a little more life regen, won't save you though and can be made up on gear.

Yours has a bit more armour increase from the tree.

Yours has a little more defenses from equipped shield, which does not matter if using Crest of Perandus, but for other options, could make a bit of a difference in evasion and/or armour stats.

Yours has 10% more resists, but minor as we need to overcap on gear anyway due to map mods.

Yours has 1% raised resist caps, which can't hurt but minor.

Yours has a little more mana regen and some block recovery, both of which are minor or unnecessary and we can get on gear.

Yours has reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes, but this is mostly useless after the last nerf.

Mine has Resolute Technique, which is absolutely required for this build as we will miss too often otherwise, creating a leech problem, mana problems, lower DPS due to loss of a DPS support gem in favor of BM, slower clear times, etc.

Mine has much better damage nodes. This is the key point that makes my build much better. A little bit would not matter, but we are talking about 70% increased physical damage. PLUS, mine has 36% attack speed vs. only 15% on yours. AND, mine has 12% increased Radius of Area Skills and 8% increased Area Damage.

I understand wanting to grab every defensive node.However, what I have done is strike a balance between clear times and defenses. Trust me, you don't want to go any slower than than the default build, or the game just won't be any fun.
Incredible kindness in making up an analysis so long and detailed, thanks!!! :) I'll follow step by step your guide, then :) Thanks A LOT
Last edited by Wispo on Jun 8, 2014, 8:04:27 PM
"
Wispo wrote:
Incredible kindness in making up an analysis so long and detailed, thanks!!! :) I'll follow step by step your guide, then :) Thanks A LOT

You're welcome! Enjoy the journey. :)
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Wispo wrote:

You're welcome! Enjoy the journey. :)

Another little idea:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAdwCcQSzC2EUTRUgFz4ZhRoyGjga2xutG_odFCNNI_YkqiXfJy8nTyjFKk0s6TGeM5Y1kjbpOtg94j8nQDZBjERyRIFHfkjuSn1KyEw1TdhN4099UWBT31W1VcZW-lcNWNtZ81pIXz9lTWaeZ6BuaW6qcH1yqXM_dEF313gNeWh82X8rgFaBb4TEhNmHdojxjHaPRpBVkc6bg548ns2gtKIApBmmV6eEqW6plavFrKqsr7T5tfK307vtvoq-p8APwBrBBM9l0NDSIdJN1orXy90N42rjn-oY7DjuDu8O7_DwH_GK8wbzvvcy-tL8xf6P

Because i will use Spectral throw + lmp/gmp (i like to kill enormous groups from safe distance), that is a projectile.. and because for one-on-one combat i will use Double strike, that is an attack, i have eliminated Amplify, because area damage doesn't affect me i think (tell me if i have said a stupid thing :) ). And at the price of enemies that can leech life from me (=no Bloodless, but i will be at distance launching Spectral throw if they can leech), and at the price of 18% less attack speed (=no berserkering cluster), i have obtained 1% more block (=no 2x2 points under Tetsudo, and 5 total block from the 2 points up of Warrior blood) and 3% more life regen/sec (one up of Tetsudo, and 2 of Warrior blood), and this in a 5.000hp end game toon means 150 more hp regen/sec, maybe useful for healing from small casual hits and for mitigation of Corrupting blood or chaos damage clouds. And all this with more or less the same life of before. I will tell you how this will proceed, but for 95% i am following your build, that is simple AMAZING O.O Kudos, mate :)
"
Wispo wrote:

Because i will use Spectral throw + lmp/gmp (i like to kill enormous groups from safe distance)

I have not looked at the tree in detail yet, but I can tell you that, in my testing, Spectral Throw was not very good. This build is meant to kill things up close and personal. Spectral Throw is probably better in a crit or elemental build. This build is neither of those things. I suppose you could try to run anger and wrath and get a super fast rapier. But with just the plain physical attack, you can see where Spectral Throw falls in my research below.

Spoiler
Here is some research I've been working on.

Update 02.01.2014 added ground slam and reave with increased area
Update 01.22.2014 added heavy strike with splash, cyclone with concentrated
Update 01.18.2014 added cleave, cyclone, spectral throw.

I've been full clearing the Merciless Archives (over and over and over) with no movement speed items or skills (which obviously would speed things up, but to make the results more consistent, I did not use them). The Archives is a fairly good and somewhat consistent testing area.

This is all to show (approximately) which skill combos are most efficient with this build. The DPS tooltip number actually has little to do with it, thus this research.

Of course, I am limited as I don't have many linked items to choose from. But it is still interesting.

Each skill has been run several times with a stopwatch until the area is fully clear and the run times averaged for greater accuracy.

Here are the average clear times for various skill and support gem configurations, ranked from good to terrible:

reave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - concentrated effect
456 seconds

cyclone - concentrated effect - faster attacks - blood magic - life leech (note: risky)
518 seconds

cyclone - melee physical damage - faster attacks - blood magic (note: risky)
583 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks
594 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
607 seconds

ground slam - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - mana leech
613 seconds

infernal blow - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
625 seconds

reave - multistrike - increased area of effect - faster attacks - concentrated effect
627 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks - concentrated effect
656 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
657 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
776 seconds

double strike - melee splash - blood magic - faster attacks - increased area of effect
817 seconds

cleave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
858 seconds

spectral throw - lesser multiple projectiles - faster attacks - added fire damage - blood magic
958 seconds

infernal blow - faster attacks - mana leech - melee splash - concentrated effect
1031 seconds

infernal blow - mana leech - melee splash - melee physical damage
1223 seconds

Near the bottom. Sometimes it's not good to try to reinvent the wheel. :)
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Wispo wrote:

Because i will use Spectral throw + lmp/gmp (i like to kill enormous groups from safe distance)

I have not looked at the tree in detail yet, but I can tell you that, in my testing, Spectral Throw was not very good. This build is meant to kill things up close and personal. Spectral Throw is probably better in a crit or elemental build. This build is neither of those things. I suppose you could try to run anger and wrath and get a super fast rapier. But with just the plain physical attack, you can see where Spectral Throw falls in my research below.

Spoiler
Here is some research I've been working on.

Update 02.01.2014 added ground slam and reave with increased area
Update 01.22.2014 added heavy strike with splash, cyclone with concentrated
Update 01.18.2014 added cleave, cyclone, spectral throw.

I've been full clearing the Merciless Archives (over and over and over) with no movement speed items or skills (which obviously would speed things up, but to make the results more consistent, I did not use them). The Archives is a fairly good and somewhat consistent testing area.

This is all to show (approximately) which skill combos are most efficient with this build. The DPS tooltip number actually has little to do with it, thus this research.

Of course, I am limited as I don't have many linked items to choose from. But it is still interesting.

Each skill has been run several times with a stopwatch until the area is fully clear and the run times averaged for greater accuracy.

Here are the average clear times for various skill and support gem configurations, ranked from good to terrible:

reave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - concentrated effect
456 seconds

cyclone - concentrated effect - faster attacks - blood magic - life leech (note: risky)
518 seconds

cyclone - melee physical damage - faster attacks - blood magic (note: risky)
583 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks
594 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
607 seconds

ground slam - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - mana leech
613 seconds

infernal blow - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
625 seconds

reave - multistrike - increased area of effect - faster attacks - concentrated effect
627 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks - concentrated effect
656 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
657 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
776 seconds

double strike - melee splash - blood magic - faster attacks - increased area of effect
817 seconds

cleave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
858 seconds

spectral throw - lesser multiple projectiles - faster attacks - added fire damage - blood magic
958 seconds

infernal blow - faster attacks - mana leech - melee splash - concentrated effect
1031 seconds

infernal blow - mana leech - melee splash - melee physical damage
1223 seconds

Near the bottom. Sometimes it's not good to try to reinvent the wheel. :)

Problem is: i fear vaal smash and kole aoe too much XD
Last edited by Wispo on Jun 9, 2014, 4:35:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info