[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

So I took your advice to heart and made a new tree. It is extremely similar to your tree, except I start on Ranger and work my way left. Just curious what you might think of it. It's obviously a sword weapon user however (not free like yours is).
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAF4B5wUtCC4Q8BQgFHEWbxjbGY4aMho4GlUa2xutG_odFCFgI_Yl3ydPKMUxnjIJNDU1kjboOtg94kCgQapHfkjuSn1KyEw1TdhN4099UEdRYFPfVcZW-livWNtZ81pIW69gS2EhZKNlTWaeZ6BsRm5pbqpwfXJscql0QXTtdPF313gNeK5673zZfyuAVoTZhO-HdojxjHaPRpBVm4ObjZ65pBmmV6cwp4SpbqmVrFmsqqyvr6K18rfTvqfAD8AawQfDhs9l0NDSTdN-1orXftfL3Q3nY-eR7Djtg-4O7_DxivO-9zL3vvjr-tL8xf6P

I'm not sure how much defense I need, but if I needed a little bit more armor, I could cut the 3 sword nodes at the bottom out, and put in the 3 armor/sword nodes by the templar side for that 30% extra armor (if it's really needed).
"
So I took your advice to heart and made a new tree. It is extremely similar to your tree, except I start on Ranger and work my way left. Just curious what you might think of it. It's obviously a sword weapon user however (not free like yours is).

I'm not sure how much defense I need, but if I needed a little bit more armor, I could cut the 3 sword nodes at the bottom out, and put in the 3 armor/sword nodes by the templar side for that 30% extra armor (if it's really needed).

I spied a small mistake in the pathing, here's the same build with one point saved: link

And, here is the stats total so you can compare with the Templar build in the OP.

Spoiler
+274 to Strength
+242 to Dexterity
+74 to Intelligence
+77 to maximum Mana
+221 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
90.4% increased Evasion Rating
296% increased maximum Life
1.5% of Life Regenerated per Second
+12% to Chaos Resistance
32% additional Chance to Block with Shields
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
28% increased Melee Physical Damage
80% increased Armour
72% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
12% increased Physical Damage
41% increased Attack Speed
60% increased Physical Damage with Swords
10% increased Attack Speed with Swords
115% increased Defences from equipped Shield
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
+30% to all Elemental Resistances
22% increased maximum Energy Shield
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield
3% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
8% increased maximum Mana
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
20% increased Accuracy Rating
Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
+14.8% Energy Shield
+54.8% increased Melee Physical Damage
+484 Accuracy Rating

The stats total of the Templar build from the OP, for comparison:

Spoiler
+303 to Strength
+204 to Dexterity
+93 to Intelligence
+86.5 to maximum Mana
+253.5 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
50% increased Melee Physical Damage
115% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
288% increased maximum Life
96% increased Armour
34% increased maximum Energy Shield
+30% to all Elemental Resistances
34% additional Chance to Block with Shields
115% increased Defences from equipped Shield
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
+8% to Chaos Resistance
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
33% increased Attack Speed
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
8% increased maximum Mana
12% increased Physical Damage
3% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
1.5% of Life Regenerated per Second
Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
12% increased Radius of Area Skills
8% increased Area Damage
+18.6% Energy Shield
+60.6% increased Melee Physical Damage
+408 Accuracy Rating
40.8% increased Evasion Rating

I think the Templar is a little bit better as he has amplify within easy reach plus a nice life cluster to start with, and closer to RT so he will have an easier time of it earlier on. Both should work though.
Side note - pretty hard to get the needed colors on a pure evasion chest (RRGGB).

I wanted to change out my current chest....

for this one....

...but I've used a bunch of stacks of chromatics and no luck yet. I did get three red once and three blue several times, so three off colors is certainly possible. (The first chest was easy, just lucky, evidently.)
"
Sovyn wrote:
Side note - pretty hard to get the needed colors on a pure evasion chest (RRGGB).

I wanted to change out my current chest....

for this one....

...but I've used a bunch of stacks of chromatics and no luck yet. I did get three red once and three blue several times, so three off colors is certainly possible. (The first chest was easy, just lucky, evidently.)

Is there a reason why you're going for a pure evasion chest?
"
Vulpix0r wrote:

Is there a reason why you're going for a pure evasion chest?

Yes there is! I'm self found and it's all I've found. :) I'm compensating by using high armour boots, gloves, helmet. As long as we get some of both from somewhere, all's well.
Heya all, managed to snag a few items from the trade market in the past week:
Shield:

Weapon:

by your calculations Reave was better so that's why I got myself a new sword (and dont ask me how much chromatics it needed to get RBR:/) - a fast hitting motherf*****g sword

In general I wanted to ask this - most people claimed that my axe was a bad weapon (not only cause it's an axe and uses cleave) but that is has a low speed - is 1,5 really that bad for speed?
"
mysantrop wrote:
Heya all, managed to snag a few items from the trade market in the past week:

by your calculations Reave was better so that's why I got myself a new sword (and dont ask me how much chromatics it needed to get RBR:/) - a fast hitting motherf*****g sword

In general I wanted to ask this - most people claimed that my axe was a bad weapon (not only cause it's an axe and uses cleave) but that is has a low speed - is 1,5 really that bad for speed?

Hi mysantrop. :) The axe is not bad, and 1.5 is adequate. The axe is 248 physical DPS. However, it would have to be better than your sword (257 pDPS) to compensate for the substantial DPS difference between cleave and reave, and it's not. In the guide, I mostly mention cleave just in case someone has *only* a good axe while leveling up. Dispite cleave being a little bit weak currently, it's still better than having to use melee splash with it's associated mana problems or a blood magic support gem which takes away a valuable DPS support, except perhaps on a 6-link as mentioned in the guide.
Today I first tried 5-linking this 6 socket Astral:

No luck, waste of materials.

Next, I tried crafting a bunch of claws (all 70+ ilevel):

Wow, just, wow. Baaaaad. :)

A little in the hole for the day in self-found land. :)
"
Triggers - These are optional but helpful for endgame. You can obtain at least one Cast when Damage Taken gem for free at the conclusion of the 'A Fixture of Fate' quest in Act 3 Merciless. You may wish to forgo the trigger gem and choose Multistrike from that same quest instead, if you do not yet have it.
First Cast when Damage Taken - Level this trigger gem to level 2 only. I recommend linking this with Enduring Cry (level only to 5), Molten Shell (level only to 8), and Enfeeble (level only to 5).
Second Cast when Damage Taken - Level this trigger gem up to approximately level 9-11 unless your life pool is very large, then level it more as needed. I recommend linking this with Immortal Call and Increased Duration. If you want to use a 4-link for this one as well, I suggest an Enduring Cry gem in series before the Immortal call. This will ensure endurance charges are topped up before the Immortal Call activates.

First of all: Thanks for this awesome build and all the additional information. Great stuff especially for a n00b like me! ;-)

However, I am a bit confused about the level recommendations for Enduring Crry (lvl 5), Molten Shell (lvl 8) an so on. Enduring Cry costs 23 mana at Level 5 and (only) 25 mana at Level 15... I am sure there is an obvious explanation though.

Sorry, I haven't really figured out all the different skill gems.

Thanks!
"
However, I am a bit confused about the level recommendations for Enduring Crry (lvl 5), Molten Shell (lvl 8) an so on. Enduring Cry costs 23 mana at Level 5 and (only) 25 mana at Level 15... I am sure there is an obvious explanation though.

If you check cast when damage taken you can see that by lvling it you get better dmg effectivness but also the amount of damage needed to be taken increased - by having a low lvl cast when damage taken you ensure that you cast it often.

Then if you check cast when damage taken lvl 2 it say maximum level of supported gems is 33.
Enduring cry 5 requires lvl 31 and Enduring cry 6 requires lvl 34 - that is why you must have enduring cry 5 if you want to trigger it with cast when damage taken 2.
The same explanation is valid for Molten Shell 8 (requires lvl 32).

Regarding the mana cost - its low because that's just the game mechanics, game designers knew that most people will leave it low lvl cause of the said combo so that's why they balanced the mana costs.

Hope this helps!

br,
J

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info