[Open Merciless] Please fix bear trap for pvp

As it is right now, every character with dexterity can just level up their bear trap. then just toss it at people untill they die because there's no way of getting out of it. No way of blocking it. No way to escape as you can just toss it at peoples feet and they hurt like hell.

People who have good gear and build cast one then they can just whip out all of their dps on you. People who has useless gear starts shooting or attacking before realizing they have no dmg, so they just keep throwing the trap untill you die because there's nothing you can really do, atleast as a melee character. You might be able to get of a flicker strike, but when you are melee attacking a character with bear trap can just throw it at your feets again.

I feel it has gotten out of hand, they way the traps are used as an all-purpose-projectile isntead of a cleverly placed trap that you might stumble upon if a player lures his opponent etc, pinning you down.

Something has to be done against this skill.

Either make it so you have a chance of atleast escaping the damage/disable period. Perhaps turning it to a long stun instead of just a full disable so that you atleast can equip yourself against it.

Or add some sort of cooldown for the trap to activate on the ground, because right now you can just throw it at people feet and then spam the same trap untill the character dies, you just need the skill gem, level it up and you're good to go.

Again this is high lvl pvp i am talking about when the skill does about 1,3k pure damage that i don't think is reduced by either resistances or armour.
i confirm that, my 3k Energy Shields gets killed with 2 bear traps and i dont even have a time to do anything.
lol, you can't ask for a skill to be "fixed" (nerfed) just because you got onwed by it.
Instead, learn how to read the oppenent's moves and try to skip the trap, move a lot, click a lot.
IGN: iPot
"
lol, you can't ask for a skill to be "fixed" (nerfed) just because you got onwed by it.
Instead, learn how to read the oppenent's moves and try to skip the trap, move a lot, click a lot.

Hello Sir, thank you for joining the discussion!

Trying to "skip" traps is what makes the traps in pvp fun in my opinion. You can flicker across the map, use leap and all sorts of skill not to step on them. You can even use skills like ground slam to destroy them.

If bear trap worked so that when you did a mistake and got stuck for 5 seconds, unable to move or attack (atleast as a melee), and took about 1500 unreduced damage of your hp (which would in most cases be most of it). Fine, it would still be overpowered and if the opponent was any good at all you'd be 100% dead from ranged attacks. But sure, you could have evaded it etc. it would still be fun to pvp!

The thing is. As bear trap works right now. You can just throw it at peoples feet. You argument that a melee player should "move alot, click alot". I totally agree with you, the trap has to travel and when it does you can dodge it! The thing though is when you play a melee. you eventaully want to get close up and intimate with the other player. And when you do, that travel-distance turns to no-distance and the trap is an immediate hit and trigger on the spot.

What's even more worse is that IF you get stuck, which you will if the bear trap user has realized that it's impossible to miss when melee, is that once you're stuck, you can simply move to a safe distance to proceed to throw more traps because bear trap because you need to work alot on your other dps skill for it to beat a 1000-1500+ un-blockable, -dodgeable and pure dmg source.
What's even better is that normally you only have 3 traps and then you have recharge time, but you can actually place several bear traps gem in your gear, giving you the ability to cast more then only three. Let's say have eight bear traps gems and place each on a different hotkey. You'd have 24 bear traps at your disposal (you could get more but then you'd have to re-asign your skill-keys, but who the hell would need that many?)

So you get stuck once, you're now unmobile and the bear trapper can now proceed to throw the rest of them. Let's calculate the damage! Throwing 24 of them with a damage shifting between 1000-2400 would mean you'd take somewhere between 24000-36000 pure damage, not counting the fact that most of the traps will probably have recharged after tossing that 24:th trap.

I've chatted with alot of the players i meet using this and everyone agrees on that this is broken.

So let's all make a bunch of characters, we level them to merciless spending all nodes on hp, regen, block, resists and armour and just spam those bear traps for a whole day. I'm sure merciless pvp will be taken to new heights! :-)

well
you CAN move when trapped
Don't Leap Slam, Flicker Strike, Whirling Blades, etc. still work even when you're trapped?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
ofc
Leap slam actually kills traps when you land on them, leap slam and ground slam, even lvl 1 frost nova hard counters traps, as long as you can see them before they go invisible.
"
JonPoolbrain wrote:
"

Hello Sir, thank you for joining the discussion!

Trying to "skip" traps is what makes the traps in pvp fun in my opinion. You can flicker across the map, use leap and all sorts of skill not to step on them. You can even use skills like ground slam to destroy them.

If bear trap worked so that when you did a mistake and got stuck for 5 seconds, unable to move or attack (atleast as a melee), and took about 1500 unreduced damage of your hp (which would in most cases be most of it). Fine, it would still be overpowered and if the opponent was any good at all you'd be 100% dead from ranged attacks. But sure, you could have evaded it etc. it would still be fun to pvp!

The thing is. As bear trap works right now. You can just throw it at peoples feet. You argument that a melee player should "move alot, click alot". I totally agree with you, the trap has to travel and when it does you can dodge it! The thing though is when you play a melee. you eventaully want to get close up and intimate with the other player. And when you do, that travel-distance turns to no-distance and the trap is an immediate hit and trigger on the spot.

What's even more worse is that IF you get stuck, which you will if the bear trap user has realized that it's impossible to miss when melee, is that once you're stuck, you can simply move to a safe distance to proceed to throw more traps because bear trap because you need to work alot on your other dps skill for it to beat a 1000-1500+ un-blockable, -dodgeable and pure dmg source.
What's even better is that normally you only have 3 traps and then you have recharge time, but you can actually place several bear traps gem in your gear, giving you the ability to cast more then only three. Let's say have eight bear traps gems and place each on a different hotkey. You'd have 24 bear traps at your disposal (you could get more but then you'd have to re-asign your skill-keys, but who the hell would need that many?)

So you get stuck once, you're now unmobile and the bear trapper can now proceed to throw the rest of them. Let's calculate the damage! Throwing 24 of them with a damage shifting between 1000-2400 would mean you'd take somewhere between 24000-36000 pure damage, not counting the fact that most of the traps will probably have recharged after tossing that 24:th trap.

I've chatted with alot of the players i meet using this and everyone agrees on that this is broken.

So let's all make a bunch of characters, we level them to merciless spending all nodes on hp, regen, block, resists and armour and just spam those bear traps for a whole day. I'm sure merciless pvp will be taken to new heights! :-)

Hello, sorry to quote the whole speech of my partner.

1. You can actually defend from the trap with Armour, as it is physical dmg.
2. No, I don't use 24 traps. And will never do. And i don't anybody does.
3. I'm play as a Shadow (melee), I have seen marauders using flicker-leap, which is really awesome and killing combo (no complains).
4. I don't spam traps on pvp, I love the variety of skills and ways of using them. I buff myself, trap, whirl-the-guy, flick it, dead. But that's just me.
5. Ok you (not you really, but in general) spam totems firend 3 or 4 cold projectiles which on merciless is really hard to defend of, use a shield, you tempest-shield it, you got like 9k ES, but that's just right huh? no nerfing for that huh?
6. You don't count with that much mana on a pvp match.

Thanks guys :)

I'm always up for a match if you want to have fun. :)
IGN: iPot
"
lezeppelin wrote:

Hello, sorry to quote the whole speech of my partner.

1. You can actually defend from the trap with Armour, as it is physical dmg.
2. No, I don't use 24 traps. And will never do. And i don't anybody does.
3. I'm play as a Shadow (melee), I have seen marauders using flicker-leap, which is really awesome and killing combo (no complains).
4. I don't spam traps on pvp, I love the variety of skills and ways of using them. I buff myself, trap, whirl-the-guy, flick it, dead. But that's just me.
5. Ok you (not you really, but in general) spam totems firend 3 or 4 cold projectiles which on merciless is really hard to defend of, use a shield, you tempest-shield it, you got like 9k ES, but that's just right huh? no nerfing for that huh?
6. You don't count with that much mana on a pvp match.

Thanks guys :)

I'm always up for a match if you want to have fun. :)

1: You can try, but on crit a bear trap does enough damage to completely ignore any armor you have (I tested a while ago with 70k armor(last ladder), and bear trap did to the tune of 9k damage on crit)
2. Because 2 traps critting with a sufficient modifier, is instant death.
3: Melee is a supreme winner due to mobility, ranged characters unable to have said mobility are likely to never be seen, due to bear trap. Just a thought.
4:Doesn't mean its not broken
5: Show me someone at this moment with 9k ES
6: What?

Bear trap has been a repeat offender, as it cannot be blocked or dodged or evaded, its quite literally something that anyone who uses crit mod can level, and completely 1 shot people at random. The skill is broken because it does so much physical damage, at such a high modifier, that with sufficient crit, you are able to outright one shot most people.
Last edited by EpsiIon on Feb 8, 2013, 8:04:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info