Ball Lightning

"
sidtherat wrote:

it does. it sets the benchmark.

Exactly, arc sets a benchmark to which all spells should be brought to. Not that arc should be nerfed into underpowered state of other spells.

You speak like getting even lvl 3 empower is easy, they cost half a 6L each. lvl 4 empower is in the legacy unique category of expensive. And so are 21/20 skills - somewhere in the 6L area.

The skill's dps really is relatively low, and it does need at least a 5L to be very effective.

It won't most probably beat incinerate in terms of dps, tried incinerate on my caster without too much cast speed and with spell echo + inc cast speed support (at least I think I used it, can't remember exactly) + about 20% inc cast speed from other sourses was able to reach 15 cast per second. Couple that with much bigger damage of incinerate and BL loses out in theory completely. The only thing it has on it is relatively more safety, but both will make lightning thornes and corrupting blood a nightmare.
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
Last edited by Allnamestaken on Jul 9, 2014, 2:00:33 AM
"
I've tried knockback and it seems pretty useless, you end up killing white mobs a bit faster due to each ball hitting more but the bottleneck with BL is killing single targets, and knockback does nothing to help with that.

Knockback's not very good at low levels, the chance is too low. Probably need a 20 Quality Knockback for it to be good.
"
Allnamestaken wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

Exactly, arc sets a benchmark to which all spells should be brought to. Not that arc should be nerfed into underpowered state of other spells.

You speak like getting even lvl 3 empower is easy, they cost half a 6L each. lvl 4 empower is in the legacy unique category of expensive. And so are 21/20 skills - somewhere in the 6L area.

The skill's dps really is relatively low, and it does need at least a 5L to be very effective.

It won't most probably beat incinerate in terms of dps, tried incinerate on my caster without too much cast speed and with spell echo + inc cast speed support (at least I think I used it, can't remember exactly) + about 20% inc cast speed from other sourses was able to reach 15 cast per second. Couple that with much bigger damage of incinerate and BL loses out in theory completely. The only thing it has on it is relatively more safety, but both will make lightning thornes and corrupting blood a nightmare.

If arc sets the benchmark of which spells should be brought up to,that means by definition that it is OverPowered(see:OP) against other spell.Which is why this isnt even a comparison.

Empower level 4 again i say wont help the skill so much.You will be better with added chaos and added lighting.

The skill BASE dps is low,which in shock stacks surpasses other skills by far.

It is beating incinerate,since you can move,throw it further,Aoe More,CAN crit(which u evade the whole point on discussion with incinerate.)

And yes,both corrupting blood and thornes are nightmares.
Bye bye desync!
"
elwindakos wrote:
"
Allnamestaken wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

If arc sets the benchmark of which spells should be brought up to,that means by definition that it is OverPowered(see:OP) against other spell.Which is why this isnt even a comparison.

Empower level 4 again i say wont help the skill so much.You will be better with added chaos and added lighting.

The skill BASE dps is low,which in shock stacks surpasses other skills by far.

It is beating incinerate,since you can move,throw it further,Aoe More,CAN crit(which u evade the whole point on discussion with incinerate.)

And yes,both corrupting blood and thornes are nightmares.

The definition of OP is being more powerfull than all (or most skills in the game). Which arc is not, it barely holds a candle to most attack skills, there are even more powerful spells (see flameblast). Arc "wins" only by its mechanics - non-target medium between single target and aoe.

i never suggested empower for BL, empowering arc is the way to. And it is not easy, as some people try and make it out to be. Arc is fine, most other spells are crap or close to being.
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
Last edited by Allnamestaken on Jul 9, 2014, 11:25:14 AM
and this is how power creep is born

more!
more!
more!
more!

and then we end with 5mln HP pool and 18mln crits..

power creep ruins games - piece by piece. poe is already deep into this process and bringing all other spells to 'arc level' surely shall result in disaster

btw attack skills? or ST low life BS that is being going on due to GGG inability to add CoE to low life dagger builds?
"
Allnamestaken wrote:
"
Kenzorz wrote:
I haven't made a build around this myself yet and all I've done is test a low level BL with high level supports on my Lvl 89 Ambush self cast char but this is my opinion, while the skill is probably not as strong as Arc (that shit is overtuned and will get the Searing Bond/Flameblast treatment soon) it's definitely better than Spark-tier.

Off the top of my head, this is what I think for supports;
IMO, these are must-have supports for it:

Lightning Penetration
Increased AoE
Spell Echo (if self casting obviously)

These may work:

Added Chaos Damage (this is just an example for my character, one BL hits for about 5 times on the same mob, that's 150% effectiveness) for more reliable damage.
Added Lightning Damage if you want to boost the lightning damage
Elemental Proliferation for obvious reasons
Faster Casting for obvious reasons

These I'm not too sure about:

LMP/GMP: more AoE is nice but I found it reduces the damage too much.
Knockback: sounds good but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Noob traps:

Slower Projectiles: yes I said it. Why are people so obsessed with making a single ball hit a few more times at the cost of significantly reduced range and significantly increased mana cost? Just get a classic caster support like added chaos damage or faster casting if you want more damage without a huge penalty jeez it's no wonder people find this skill shit. It seems like no one in this 7 page thread has ever played a caster before, I'm surprised no one (or maybe I missed it) suggested Added Chaos, it has 30% effectiveness and deals a lot of hits.

I probably won't make my char that uses Ball Lightning in some way until the next 4 month leagues though

Because it does not deal a lot of hits, unless all you fight is Kuduku.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who just holds right click in the middle of Lvl 76 Crematorium map boss' firestorm because moving between attacks is too hard.
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"
Kenzorz wrote:

I'm guessing you're one of those people who just holds right click in the middle of Lvl 76 Crematorium map boss' firestorm because moving between attacks is too hard.

You've guessed wrong. Also, what? How is me moving make a skill that I do not control suddenly do more hits on a target that moves towards me? Unless I jump behind the enemy, it doesn't happen.

Oh yes, the oh so scary power creep. 1mil hits! *ghostly sounds* Since when do we see those hits in poe? All we have is a dead monster or an alive one, if most attacks can one-shot white mobs in a 4L, so should spells. All and any. And since attacks have inherit advantage in having more scaling possobilities, spells should be more powerful, especially with their insane resourse hunger. Right now they cost more and are often times weaker. Simple.
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
Last edited by Allnamestaken on Jul 9, 2014, 1:43:47 PM
I would to increase a bit the range, and at least double the damage.
Very nice spell, but I don't find very good applications.
IGN: SeaLaser
Sea Builds, Characters, Shops, Links & Records:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/972683/
Last edited by RoyalStar on Jul 10, 2014, 1:09:28 PM
i think that people expected something truly broken and compatible with CoCS - they got less and they are disappointed.

key to scaling this skill is AOE. this turns it from something that hits mob 2-3 times and goes by into something that hits it 6-7 times (while covering most of a room anyway). before commenting anything on this skill people should try it with 80%+ inc aoe setup. it REALLY makes a difference and creates great synergy with both slow proj and knockback

this heavily augments the knockback chance - 60% chance applied 2 times has far smaller chance of succeeding than the same 60% applied 6 times

my BL char just killed merc piety and is map ready (lvl 67) with lvl16gems and crap gear. it was hillarious to pin Piety to the wall with knockback..

yep, it does not have the ST+CoCS+prettyMuchAnySpell clearing potential and people expecting to get shotgunning Piety ball lightning that works with CoCS are pissed, i know i know. but this skill isnt bad. it just requires different scaling than most spells

if anything i would have added some kind of effect to the ball itself - little explosion at the end or something. just so it does not fizzle without damage..
I have tried the spell pretty extensive. The damage is low. However this is easy to fix.

Allow AoE damage to apply to Ball Lightning.

This gives damage increase on the skill tree and another 'more' multiplier with the concentrated effect support gem.
Last edited by gatekeepr on Jul 10, 2014, 5:48:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info