Season Eight, Event 6: 40 Minute Descent Champions

"
I was stuck in a room with a totem I couldn't kill and it kept reanimating skeletons.

Those summoned skeletons are for refilling your flasks so you can hit and run the totem.
Yes, I thought I killed it once, but it just moved. Very tough situation. No where to run to to take breath and see if I could deal with the lightning damage. Am I correct that some paths in the race bypassed that room?
"
janimauk wrote:
this season is ruined for templar and witch, possible shadow too. 100% density rng good job going live with this op shit sword

What makes it OP?
descent champion is always fun. RNG was not do disastrous this time. got a low magic ER armor with regen life very early on, always help when you got 57 HP ...

well into the race I had a hard time finding or crafting a good bow ... my DPS was lacking, I lost time ... and with this stupid decision to make the descent champion from 1hour to 40 minutes, I couldn't do better than 88% of level 12. somewhat disappointed, it spoils the fun. I was up to my neck in a strife with skeletons, then all of a sudden, I couldn't move. then I realized there was this nasty, nasty little message on my screen : "league has ended" ... I was so into the race, I didn't see the preceding messages about the remaining time :/

items were not so bad. apart from the bow which wasn't really good.

---

when you are up against rukuku (the lightning-wielding, skeleton-reanimating totem), there's a separation in the room, I killed him at level 6, I was a little short in HP, I usually lure him in the first "room", near the entrance. this way, I could go on the other "room" and rest a little from the lightning damage. I also think that you can bypass this by simply going to the exit and passing through to the next level ?
Everytime I yank a jawbone from a skull, then ram it in an eyesocket, I know I'm buildin' a better future !
Last edited by misatokitkat on Jun 7, 2014, 8:54:18 PM
"
Yes, I thought I killed it once, but it just moved. Very tough situation. No where to run to to take breath and see if I could deal with the lightning damage. Am I correct that some paths in the race bypassed that room?

You can usually hide in the first room. If he moves near the room junction then you can go to the far corner of the large room.

You can't bypass the bosses. There are multiple ways to get there but you have to fight him. You can skip the ice room though. If you aren't confident with the boss you can get another level in the ice room. But it's really slow because of the ice, especially with a melee build.
Thanks.

I collected lots of stuff in this race; is there any way to retrieve it for non race use?

I don't recall any portal scrolls. Is there a way to craft without going to town?

Do the folks who advance far do so by just killing bosses, pushing ahead quickly and not wasting time on all the lesser critters?
In Descent, Descent Champions, and Endless Ledge races you don't keep your character or toon after the race. There might be some new races introduced this season that you don't keep your stuff, but we won't know until we see all the races. If there is no town or stash, then you don't keep anything. If there is a starting chest full of goodies, you don't keep anything (otherwise you could farm races).

For all other races you keep both your character and gear. Your character will go to the parent league after the race (Hard Core League). Anything in your stash will also go there.

For vendor recipes you need to be in town. That's where you trade stuff for other stuff. Like trading an iron ring + gem for a resistance ring.

For orbs, you can use them anywhere. For races where you don't keep your stuff, you use-it-or-lose-it. So use your orbs. I usually use orbs as soon as I get them.

"
Do the folks who advance far do so by just killing bosses, pushing ahead quickly and not wasting time on all the lesser critters?

I'm not one of those people. :)

Basically they are just good. They know the game. They know how to make good use of the class and their drops. They also move faster and have faster reaction time.

You get more experience with higher level mobs. So you need to know your limit. If you can handle higher level zones then you should run past low level mobs. Definitely don't waste time killing one monster. Kill large packs of monsters, especially blue packs, and kill in as high a zone as you can safely handle.

Learn to use your flasks efficiently. That's also part of knowing your limits. If you often find yourself in a panic hitting every flask three times just to stay alive, you probably bit off more than you can chew. Every now and then is ok, but it shouldn't happen often. Races and hard core league is a good way to learn your limits. You learn or die, there is no in between.
Me panic and hold down a flask key??? Never. ;)

I have modest goals: get to level 8 in a race and earn 3 points. 40 minutes wasn't quite enough time this go around. And thanks for your advice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info