GGGs reasoning on not making a SFL?

"
Morgoth2356 wrote:

He is right in a sense that unlike a lot of SFL supporters think, SFL won't erase RMT. Account selling will take place. It is not in any way as bad as current RMT possibilities, but there would be RMT. "Selling level 85 ranger with 6L Voltaxic and 30 ex in stash", here you go.
How is an account seller going to accumulate 30 exalted orbs in a self found setting? Even botting, it would take thousands of hours, no?
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
Nobody ever said it would.

MMMmmmmmmm... :D

Edited my post to highlight just how ridiculous the scenario is, although possible and no doubt will happen to some tiny degree, somewhere.
Casually casual.

"
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:

He is right in a sense that unlike a lot of SFL supporters think, SFL won't erase RMT. Account selling will take place. It is not in any way as bad as current RMT possibilities, but there would be RMT. "Selling level 85 ranger with 6L Voltaxic and 30 ex in stash", here you go.
How is an account seller going to accumulate 30 exalted orbs in a self found setting? Even botting, it would take thousands of hours, no?

Those exalts and that account would not affect a non-existing economy. RMT in a SFL would have microscopic consequences being as nothing can be traded. In the amount of time an account could accumulate that example of wealth, you could do exactly the same or better.

Lets say I'm ladder racing. I am almost caught up to zigzag on the ladder. Z's account gets sold. No new name gets placed in front of me, I am still almost caught up with zigzag. There is no noticeable change except that the new player might be freshly motivated.
Last edited by rob16437 on Jul 17, 2014, 9:33:11 PM
"
rob16437 wrote:
"
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:

Those exalts and that account would not affect a non-existing economy. RMT in a SFL would have microscopic consequences being as nothing can be traded. In the amount time one account could accumulate that example of wealth, you could do exactly the same or better.

Exactly. Anyone who'd want to purchase an account would do so in a league where they'd at least be able to recover their investment through RMT. It's the main reason people buy accounts in the first place. Spend a little to earn a little more, and all that.

As Anuhart said, the type of people who'd want to play in a SF league aren't the type to fool with RMT crap anyway. It's not worth it from a business standpoint.
Detecting and dealing with RMT accounts in a non trade environment is by far less demanding and far more reliable than a free for all trade/RMT enviroment,from a developers perspective.

In past online games,just giving away your account to friends or family could end with penalties ranging from permabans to denial of support to said account.

=)
Last edited by Temper on Jul 17, 2014, 11:00:04 PM
The more I think about it, the more GGG missed the boat, fucked up the whole design and are victims of their own stubborn policy. Their insistence that any form of binding is bad, their focus on trade, competition and reroll leagues completely contradicts itself in design.

Every new league players begin fresh, this is what GGG want people to do, they push for league activity and they want economy isolation. But players amass wealth, leagues end and everything goes to parent leagues. For a league ladder player this wealth is of no use, if they obey the rules.

So a league ends and Joe's characters go to HC/Std. All the gear, the exalts, the mirrors, the mirror service crafts, all in HC/Std. Joe either writes it off, or tries to profit. Joe isn't interested in HC/Std. There's a new league ladder.

There's 2 ways Joe can profit. He can accept RMT or he can try to cross league into the new ladder league. FG makes the latter quite easy.

What GGG should have done was have parent leagues be completely bound, from the get go, parent leagues should have been pseudo SFLs, crafting leagues and dump leagues without economy. Leagues where one can play SF or where one can carry on playing characters after ladder leagues. Characters landing in parent leagues with wealth from ladders can craft with the orbs they bring and use items but not trade them. The ladder reset leagues are where the trading happens, from fresh, new economies, every 4 (or 3) months, in fact, under this design, players might even have preferred 6 month leagues as opposed to complaining that 4 month is too long.

I know this isn't what many would want, people like trading in permanent leagues just as I like SF in permanent leagues, and I can't see it happening, now. But had it been the design from the start, it wouldn't have been an issue.

But, like I said opening, GGG's refusal to entertain binding of any sort from day one, meant they started off on a footing that was always doomed to clash with their vision of integrity, economy and fair competition.

Yup, I'm actually convinced, had this been the model GGG started with, so many problems this game has and yet will have, would have never been.

Sure, you'd have people trying to RMT their ex ladder account in parent leagues, but when I think back to closed beta when Chris's response to how were they going to handle RMT was something like 'Oh we have that covered'; had that 'covered' been 'we've largely limited it to ex ladder accounts being sold' I'd have had a lot more faith than what 'covered' turned out to be, as I'm still for the life of me trying to figure out what 'covered' remotely ever even was, because it failed, it had to, the design itself said it always was going to.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jul 17, 2014, 11:31:27 PM
"
rob16437 wrote:
I would pay money to join a league where other players cannot buy their advantage. I would even consider paying a monthly fee. There needs to be ladder support for this if they want my money though. Also the realm needs to be permanent.

I would purchase a full released hardcopy of this game for my pc if one existed. Lan parties would be badass.

Many many other people would too, me included. But it is not going to happen, or if it will it will be to late.
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

What GGG should have done was have parent leagues be completely bound, from the get go, parent leagues should have been pseudo SFLs, crafting leagues and dump leagues without economy. Leagues where one can play SF or where one can carry on playing characters after ladder leagues. Characters landing in parent leagues with wealth from ladders can craft with the orbs they bring and use items but not trade them. The ladder reset leagues are where the trading happens, from fresh, new economies, every 4 (or 3) months, in fact, under this design, players might even have preferred 6 month leagues as opposed to complaining that 4 month is too long.

I know this isn't what many would want, people like trading in permanent leagues just as I like SF in permanent leagues, and I can't see it happening, now. But had it been the design from the start, it wouldn't have been an issue.

This is actually an awesome idea, but now it's too late. So what do? Wiping Standard/HC and making it new parent leagues with your proposed features would be an option, but I don't think GGG would ever do this, they would piss of a lot of people. For that reason they don't even remove legacy items, let alone a whole league :/
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Jul 18, 2014, 2:43:08 AM
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

This is actually an awesome idea, but now it's too late. So what do? Wiping Standard/HC and making it new parent leagues with your proposed features would be an option, but I don't think GGG would ever do this, they would piss of a lot of people. For that reason they don't even remove legacy items, let alone a whole league :/

It would do more than piss a lot of people off. It would cause a large exodus. I played domination and I won't be doing that again. Hitting the reset button every few months is not for me. I also believe boa has no place in an online multiplayer environment(just my opinion, don't go all batshit sf crazy on me). I don't have the luxury of no-lifing so the permanent leagues let me experience the game at a slower pace (same duration but longer period)

People like these ideas mostly because it effects a community that they are not a part of and gives them what they want.

It would have been good if they did that from the start, because then I would not have tried the game. I hope you are right that I is too late because I truly enjoy the game.
"
Xavderion wrote:

It totally won't happen, but it is what should have happened. It fits the game as it is and GGG's vision, like a glove (other than, ofc, the zero-binding policy, but as said, that's where their vision went tits up).

"
Nubatron wrote:
It would do more than piss a lot of people off. It would cause a large exodus. I played domination and I won't be doing that again. Hitting the reset button every few months is not for me. I also believe boa has no place in an online multiplayer environment(just my opinion, don't go all batshit sf crazy on me). I don't have the luxury of no-lifing so the permanent leagues let me experience the game at a slower pace (same duration but longer period)

People like these ideas mostly because it effects a community that they are not a part of and gives them what they want.

It would have been good if they did that from the start, because then I would not have tried the game. I hope you are right that I is too late because I truly enjoy the game.

I agree, it would piss people off, would it do more harm than good? Possibly, possibly not.
But any way, it won't happen now. Stubborn.

However, if it was the original design, I don't for one minute think you wouldn't have tried the game. I think, I'm almost sure, that you and everyone else who tried the game, would have done so all the same under the acceptance that this is how it was. I am pretty sure we would have had far more retention, too.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jul 18, 2014, 6:56:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info