1.3 [Newbie Friendly] GROUNDSLAMMER BUILD

"
Halinn wrote:
Your passives are fine. Your problem is your gear. Where's the max health on it? It's the most important stat for you.

err hehe cant really find gear with max hp XD
"
Melkrow wrote:
I have a.... very similar build to this one..but very different at the same time.

Anyway, this thread is too long to read through 46 pages, so it has probably been addressed already, how are you handling armor w/out armor nodes? What is your physical resistance in Merciless and how do you achieve it? I would love to skip me some armor nodes if I can get maxed out physical resists with reasonably attainable gear (aka no 3 uniques required and shit like that)

I'm lvl 57 in act 1 merciless with this build at the moment.

No awesome gear... :(

Got about 1000 armour -> estimated phys dmg reduction 21%

Endurance Charges add another 5% per charge.
With 4 additional charges (3 through passives + 1 bandit reward) you can get 7 max charges.
=> additional 35% phys dmg reduction by using charges

And you will get better equipment with further levels. By using grace what I'm going to do in the future I will get another 1000 armour.
With all this [life + lifereg + charges] you get with this build you will laugh at the phys damage you'll get... even more with proper euip!

To sum this up:
I think you dont need a single armour passive node at all to tank phys dmg.
Armor is handled by completely ignoring it. That's why you've got all those health nodes. Instead of hunting for that perfect piece of gear, grab the one with the most max life you can find (right sockets and resistances being somewhere is a requirement of course). By simplifying the stats you're going for, the gear advantage should be enough that armor won't matter much.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAdwCcQSzBS0OrRLhFE0Y2xkuG_ohYCXfJ9Un7SmlNYY6szrhPC1AoEOcR35KfUz_TeNQUFcNWGNbr18_YEthIWegaHRs9nKpdO108XgNerh673zZguSE2YTvh3aI8YqvjM-QEZHOlKCdqp65ogCkGaZXqW6rxaxZrKquk69stfK3PrnNu-2-isRYxPbFisauxtjYTdlh2mLdDeLq52PwH_JF8932SPzF_gr-j9Ihns1VtcEE3D0hVTkOqXM08iECe4xqHqgY8i9E52o7IPAc56loMolX4nfl
http://steamcommunity.com/id/bigssdl/screenshots/?appid=238960&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall
I found this guide very informative and helpful for making my first character, especially as a newcomer to this genre and game. Your guide mentions certain steps to take to get certain nodes first, but I am confused with one thing. When is it exactly that you go for Fitness, Discipline and Training, and Slaughter? Do you go for that path before Resolute Technique, or after Resolute Technique but before Blood Magic? Thanks for the help.
...but how to get better Life regen
I Have 54lv. now and only 80 life regen.
Playing on Merciless is way to hard.
Hi,

i used this build for my 2nd char in this game.
Here's my thoughts, maybe it will help some other new player:

I think the guide puts things too easy. What i read the guide as, in a nutshell: Stack HP and HP Reg, become undefeatable HPmonster, groundslam your way through everything like a tank.
It's not true, it requires tactical play just like other classes. With armor equip in all slots, maxed resists, and at least 25hp/item, i was still unable to stand and groundslam to outreg a crowd of archers. Let alone blue, yellow or unique mobs, ranged or melee.

But that's not all. There's the added problem that you lose mobility through the slow attackspeed. Makes you a better target for ranged&caster mobs, makes it harder to find the right timings in bossfights to chip away at them without taking hits.

So, all in all, i went into this expecting a boring build that would get me through the game slow and steady. What i got was a boring build that was slow but certainly not steady. A small mistake against Rhoas or archers would've still killed me in a matter of seconds.
I eventually died at lv48, was halfway through act2 cruel when i returned to retrieve Act 1 Allflame. Ran too far forward, found 20 flickermobs with added dmg aura, instadeath.

Thanks for the guide, i'll go play a faster class without imaginary safety nets now.
"
boatmurder wrote:
Hi,

i used this build for my 2nd char in this game.
Here's my thoughts, maybe it will help some other new player:

I think the guide puts things too easy. What i read the guide as, in a nutshell: Stack HP and HP Reg, become undefeatable HPmonster, groundslam your way through everything like a tank.
It's not true, it requires tactical play just like other classes. With armor equip in all slots, maxed resists, and at least 25hp/item, i was still unable to stand and groundslam to outreg a crowd of archers. Let alone blue, yellow or unique mobs, ranged or melee.

But that's not all. There's the added problem that you lose mobility through the slow attackspeed. Makes you a better target for ranged&caster mobs, makes it harder to find the right timings in bossfights to chip away at them without taking hits.

So, all in all, i went into this expecting a boring build that would get me through the game slow and steady. What i got was a boring build that was slow but certainly not steady. A small mistake against Rhoas or archers would've still killed me in a matter of seconds.
I eventually died at lv48, was halfway through act2 cruel when i returned to retrieve Act 1 Allflame. Ran too far forward, found 20 flickermobs with added dmg aura, instadeath.

Thanks for the guide, i'll go play a faster class without imaginary safety nets now.

I've read this and i loled! -.-
Maybe you sir just suck at playing this class!? Sorry for this expression but that's my honest opinion after reading your post.

I played this build with a ranger mate in merciless last days.
We both have similar DPS, he got bit more AoE damage, i got more single target damage.
BUT my mara has kinda 10-20 times more tank (just for example: I'm able to face tank the false god in merciless while my ranger mate dies after 3 hits)!

Ofc you need some strategy and skill and euqip for late game.
But you are still not that gear-dependent like a CI-Flickr-Shadow.
That's why this build is kinda newbie friendly. You will not go through merciless without paying attention, handle your mara with skill and grab some good gear.

So PLEASE don't blame a great build just because you fail to play it properly! ;)

Btw, there's a reason why the highest softcore char and the top3 hardcore char are using quite a similar build and you certainly don't have to worry about their kill speed and survivability.
Last edited by Gix_Phyrex on Feb 1, 2013, 8:24:18 AM
"
Adagiowow wrote:
I found this guide very informative and helpful for making my first character, especially as a newcomer to this genre and game. Your guide mentions certain steps to take to get certain nodes first, but I am confused with one thing. When is it exactly that you go for Fitness, Discipline and Training, and Slaughter? Do you go for that path before Resolute Technique, or after Resolute Technique but before Blood Magic? Thanks for the help.

1. Get Resolute Technique
2. Get Blood Magic
3. Get Golem's Blood
4. Now you head over to the Templar nodes (Fitness, Discipline and Training, Slaughter, Amplify)
Important Don't forget to take more Endurance Charges sometimes during cruel difficulty. They're very useful facing some hard encouters in cruel and you WILL NEED them in merciless for sure!

@NinjyArab:
If you don't mind and haven't done it yet yourself I could creat some "step-to-step-passive trees" this weekend which you could link in your first page build post!?
I'm aware that my attack speed would be SLOWER THAN HELL!; But does anyone think it would be viable to run this dual wielding axes/sword and using frenzy and cleave other than 2h? I really like the idea of breaking the cookie cutter and going DW; I'm just not sure whether or not to use dualist first or mara.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info