Hit detection and hit boxes seriously needs some work. Videos and Images included!

"
m3lt wrote:
Ok, so to all those who are saying I am wrong and that Action RPG's always used the "feet line of sight" mechanic, please enlighten me and show me an Action RPG where you aim with the mouse cursor and the projectile goes above it by a whole 2cm.

I would appreciate your effort to show me this is common practice.

One of the greatest aRPG's ever made have this - Path Of Exile. There cant be better recomendation atm.

Also.. arrows fly 1,6m above ground - with current camera perspective it looks like it looks and will not look different... you must just accept game mechanics and visual perspective and L2Aim taking perspective into account.

Tehre is no need of rules change because of you and maybe 3 other ppp that want changes because thay apparently cant get used to new mechanic i brand new game (btw this 'issue' have never be reported in 1,5 year of beta testing i think).
Last edited by Kabraxis on Jan 25, 2013, 6:21:13 AM
Well OP, you wont get anywhere on forums at all, theres too many white knights.
I too feel the targeting/trajectory is a bit off, and this is something the devs need to fix in some way.
This game has many flaws (FFA loot, melee being weak, armour being useless, targeting, and so on...)

Ive tried to post informative but the best responces so far is from PMs to Devs.
As for some sad strange reason, white knighting GGG has become the most vocal group on these forums.

(I do like this game alot, but i aint afraid to point out obvious flaws when i see them.)
I can solve the problem:

Where 'should' the arrow go? Imagine a monster with a hight of 5 meters standing to the right of you with feets on a horizontal line.
Now you aim at it towards the face (aproximately in a 30 degree angle) and 'would' hit directly into the right eye.
Now imagine a monster 30 cms high standing at the point of the face of the 5 meters fella. To hit him you had to aim in the same direction as on the big one. And that would break 3D perspective since it would logically flatten 3D into 2D.
If your avatar had no hight, the arrow would fly on the ground. But the arrow does not fly on the ground but in 1.70 meters hight.
So the game cannot know that you want to aim in a specific hight in a certain situation - remember we are in 3D not in 2D - so the hight is always calculated in cursor + 1.70 as long as you are not directly aiming on a monster (red frame).
Just to add a point for thought:

if "shooting 1.6 meters above the curser" is intended, and taking perspective into account - where do I aim to hit those crabs? You know, those ~0.6 high monsters.
1 meter below them.
I have noticed this too, it's a bit wonky. Projectiles should always fly in the direction of your cursor, if this is just a hit/miss rate issue (which I doubt it is) there are much better ways to do so, without making the player feel confused about bad game feedback.

As for it being a perspective issue, again it should always follow the cursor and not change because of perspective because, like I stated, this is bad feedback for the player and can be off-putting.

I assume this is simply a beta issue and will be eventually patched up. As of now it isn't much more than a minor annoyance at times though.
;)

@snxile:
that would reduce the game to 2d. That was what I was hinting at. At one point or the other, you have to either "take away some of the 3d" - or you can only hit "spot on", that is you would have to click "on" a target to hit. No "shoot in the right direction".

That would only work if we shot from our feet to their feet or all targets are hittable at our starting height - which is 1.6 right now.

Anyway, I agree with the OP that it feels odd. If this is the way the devs prefere it, okay. But please don't respond to criticism with "lols" or other ignorance. Try a discussion. A good one can acutally be productive an fun :)
Last edited by FirstPhoenix on Jan 25, 2013, 7:10:09 AM
I just wanted to explain what is totally natural to me. I never thought about it. The explanation is just one first design and maybe wrong.
I think it is like that because it would be worse the other way. I haven't thought through the other suggested model. But it had to be done by someone if it should be taken into account seriously ;)
"
Well OP, you wont get anywhere on forums at all, theres too many white knights.
I too feel the targeting/trajectory is a bit off, and this is something the devs need to fix in some way.
This game has many flaws (FFA loot, melee being weak, armour being useless, targeting, and so on...)

Ive tried to post informative but the best responces so far is from PMs to Devs.
As for some sad strange reason, white knighting GGG has become the most vocal group on these forums.

(I do like this game alot, but i aint afraid to point out obvious flaws when i see them.)

I too hate this white knight movement, trying to provide constructive criticisim is usually shot down by random trolls backed up either by their supporter status or sheer number of posts.

Frankly, regarding the white knight syndrome, we need a system where once someone has been ignored sufficiently he will no longer be able to post in the topic, the sub forum and eventually the forum for a specific duration. This would allow players to voice their concerns without being harassed by every Tom, Dick and Harry.

----

Aiming a skill in this game is frustrating, especially when shooting them to the sides. It does not matter that the system respects the 3d proportions of ones avatar, what matters is that skills don't go where your mouse actually IS.

Add to this the fact that many skills have a geometric point hit-box, for example fire ball or spark, meaning that a player will often miss a target even though the spell went right trough the enemy but the hit boxes did not connect. These skills can not be enlarged trough support gems because the devs "don't care", and you have a game that leans towards frustrating.

There are solutions to both problems, obviously.

The first: A tick box in the settings which, when ticked, makes all projectiles fly towards your cursor and not in the random direction they now go in.
The second: Give are of effect support gems the ability to increase the hit box of standard projectile type spells and abilities by a set value.
Arbitrary placeholder decisions should never be embraced as final.
So... the fact that there is an accuracy node in the skill tree means that the game is designed for me to miss despite me aiming correctly? A bit odd, but I will be open to it I guess.

I am used to just stutter stepping and not having to waste time clicking on the target. Stutter stepping requires more skill to aim than having to actually click on the target so not sure why they would discourage that.

I honestly thought it was a bug at 1st. But now just sort of view it as a design flaw. There are better ways to make this more challenging than designing my character to miss on purpose.

New player here.

Last edited by Neoshinji on Jan 25, 2013, 8:34:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info