Barrage

Another thing i'd really like to see for Barrage would be the same sort of treatment Arc got quite a while ago:
Level progression instead of a fixed number of projectiles

Right now Barrage seems only worth using when one can add a lot of extra projectiles via the helm enchantment or the Reach of the Council unique Bow. Both are rather expensive and both massively increase the damage of the skill to a level completely beyond what one could reach without these. Therefore, i would suggest a mild increase of projectiles when leveling the skill.

Not only would this make the skill more viable for builds on a lower budget but it would also make the leveling process more fun by adding that great feel of progress once you reach the next threshold!

Example:
+2 projectiles @ lvl 1
+3 projectiles @ lvl 7
+4 projectiles @ lvl 13
+5 projectiles @ lvl 19
(+6 projectiles @ lvl 25)
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
I'd love it if Barrage got changed into a Channeling Skill. Along with the idea of additional projectiles as you level it up. I feel Channeling could bring it back into viability as a skill on its own for both Wands and Bows.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
"
I'd love it if Barrage got changed into a Channeling Skill. Along with the idea of additional projectiles as you level it up. I feel Channeling could bring it back into viability as a skill on its own for both Wands and Bows.

But it's already viable due to Volley Fire? It's really quite nice. Single-target and AoE in one skill, that's the good shit.
"
Vipermagi wrote:

But it's already viable due to Volley Fire? It's really quite nice. Single-target and AoE in one skill, that's the good shit.

Oh yea, Volley Fire definitely is a big QoL to Barrage. Now I just need to level up more to fit a 4th Volley Fire to my barrage build. Though, it will probably not happen since I am too lazy at the moment to level up more builds to or almost 90.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 27, 2016, 12:30:17 AM
"
I'd love it if Barrage got changed into a Channeling Skill

For me Barrage was Channel in disguise the day it was announced (same as Lightning Tendrils).

Volley Fire can just give 25% to fire 4 additional arrows (with limit of 2 jewels).

The problem is additional projectiles and current interesting interaction with Barrage which I do not want to loose...
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Mar 11, 2017, 3:32:47 PM
I would like to have a green support gem that alter some projectile skills to be used like barrage does, it would be insane to get ethereal knives with that support gem. XD
Barrage is too strong. After double dip changes, skills like barrage are one of the only skills remaining that can absolutely delete bosses. With perfect gear it can easily reach over 20mil dps. With just normal couple ex gear +dying sun and +2 helm enchant. It can still get over 13mil dps easy.

That said, unless you stack +projectiles heavily, its ok or even too weak. But something should be done about the crazy +projectile scaling.
Last edited by avodat on Jul 2, 2017, 12:59:16 PM
I'd currently like to include Barrage in several builds, but the way this gem is designed makes it undesirable for many builds but a few.

Unless you can turn those extra projectiles into exponentially higher damage (i.E. with shocking), Barrage has a significantly lower DPS overall than any similar bow gem. So for Barrage to be useful, you must exploit it. But then if you do, the damage becomes so excessive, that Barrage actually would justify a nerf.

I'd love to see Barrage become available for more "standard" builds as well (which means ~100% base damage) as some kind of boss-skill or in combination with chain and Deadeye chain, but without having certain combinations going completely through the roof.
"
I recommend addressing this the Hierophant way - put an overall "less" modifier per projectile after a certain amount. This addresses the issue instead of nerfing sources of additional projectiles overall.

^This.
Despite what everyone says about barrage only being worth using if you have over 7+ projectiles, i disagree completely. Let's look at some numbers. All these are based on lvl 20 gems:

Cyclone: 56.4% dps with 50% more attack speed * 2(cyclone hits twice per spin) = 169,2% dps
Ice Crash: 208 % dps with 20% less attack speed = 166,4% dps
Sunder: 181,1% dps with 15% less attack speed = 153,9% dps
Blast Rain: 47,6% dps with 4 explosions = 190,4% dps
Blade flurry: perfectly timed 56,4%*1.6*2*(1+0.75*1.2) = 342,9% dps (this should also be touched upon)
Sweep: 138% dps with 10% less attack speed = 124% dps (could buff that a bit)
Barrage: 61,4% dps with 4 arrows = 245,6% dps (fairly high, but kinda acceptable)
Most builds however don't stop at 4 arrows. The most common variation I've seen:
4 (base) + 2 (uber helmet enchant) + 1 (quiver corruption) + 3 (dying sun with atleast 50% flask effect)
which comes out to: 61,4% dps * 10 arrows = 614% base dps. Wands get one projectile less, but that does little to fix the problem.

How this was okayed by the developers and never touched upon (apart from one buff), I have trouble understanding.
My suggestion would be either making it so additional arrows have diminishing returns instead of linear scaling, perhaps a Less modifier, like the hierophant has, or putting a hard cap at the maximum number of arrows you can have. I would also suggest lowering the base damage of the skill. Anything over 250% attainable dps makes it pointless to ever use another skill, thereby severely limiting the build diversity you so wish to have.
Welcome to Wraeclast... Well what are you waiting for?
Time To WRECK SHIT

flame totem - knockback + max dodge chance = NANANANANANANA CANT TOUCH THIS
Last edited by gigaomega101 on Aug 27, 2017, 12:42:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info